PDA

View Full Version : Flip Light conversion

SHOGUNOVDDRK
05-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Ok well hi.....

im from australia and i drive a honda 1986 civic and ive seen the aerodeck headlights and have fallen in love with them.....id just buy an aerodeck but they are strictly import here and im a bit strapped for cash....

I would just like to know if anyone would know if its possible to convert or even how to convert the 3g civic with the aerodeck headlights.....

may i add the has this been asked? part very good and usefull

thanks in advance

A18A
05-22-2007, 03:33 AM
it's possible, you'll need alot of good bodywork skillz though, you can just go get a accord sedan front end and stick that on your car, since they are the same as the aerodeck front

SHOGUNOVDDRK
05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
it's possible, you'll need alot of good bodywork skillz though, you can just go get a accord sedan front end and stick that on your car, since they are the same as the aerodeck front

if i go get the accord front end will i need to do much body work for that?

will i need to do the whole front end conversion or just lights fenders and bumper?

frantik
05-22-2007, 08:52 AM
you'll need a custom hood & fenders, maybe grille too

Vanilla Sky
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
the accord is physically larger than the civic. this is where the good body skills come in. you're going to have to join fenders, section the accord radiator support to fit the civic, swap rad supports, section and join the hood, then you have to align and paint the whole thing.

the cheap way out is to buy the aerodeck.

A18A
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
^yeah, since the accord is wider than a civic

2drSE-i
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
ya honestly it would just be cheaper to import an aerodeck.

ZackieDarko
05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
^yeah, since the accord is wider than a civic

wider is better

A20A1
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah I suggest use the extra width all the way to the front doors of the civic, it will look like wide body on some of those circuit cars.

Here is an example, the fender just ends they turn that gap into vents. :) looks pretty cool :)

http://www.maxspeed-motorsport.com/catalog/images/FRONT%20FENDER.jpg
or this
http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_aero-mr2.html

Just cut everything back to the firewall and work out what to remove later.

You'll need to keep the light frames in place, the hood mounting points and also the hood latch point up front

carotman
05-22-2007, 11:17 AM
There are Civics with "flip lights" in Japan or New-Zealand. They are more like half flips but you could look into this.

If you want complete flip lights, just take some from a 1G integra. This cas is based on the 3G civic ans should be an easier swap.

HondaBoy
05-22-2007, 04:08 PM
i have seen the flip ups on a Mugen civic crx, i think it was a 1986 model. i wondered if that was custom or not, still i dunno. i'm going the other direction though as i have found that the flip ups on my accord are like a wind brake that an airplane has. with them up i can hardley go over 110 mph, with them down the car reaches that speed much quicker and will go a bit past 125 mph with fair ease. i have a set of projector headlights that i am going to modify to fit. thats another cool option that would be worth some effort.

lostforawhile
05-22-2007, 04:11 PM
why would you want to go over 110 when you need the lights? not a good idea to be going that fast at night. oh the pop out windows are worse,they act just like speed brakes. if i could ever find lexan one,i thought of making them pop out under hard braking. they actually slow you down.

HondaBoy
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
nah, during the daytime.

Steve_Si
05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
There are Civics with "flip lights" in Japan or New-Zealand. They are more like half flips but you could look into this.
If you want complete flip lights, just take some from a 1G integra. This cas is based on the 3G civic ans should be an easier swap.

That's the headlights on the CRX or Civic sedan "Ballade" model. Don't see many of them around anymore. Friend of mine told me that the covers flip up a bit and also the headlights themselves get pushed forward. I'll believe that last part when I see it though

SHOGUNOVDDRK
05-23-2007, 01:59 AM
i have seen the flip ups on a Mugen civic crx, i think it was a 1986 model. i wondered if that was custom or not, still i dunno. i'm going the other direction though as i have found that the flip ups on my accord are like a wind brake that an airplane has. with them up i can hardley go over 110 mph, with them down the car reaches that speed much quicker and will go a bit past 125 mph with fair ease. i have a set of projector headlights that i am going to modify to fit. thats another cool option that would be worth some effort.

lol well speed isnt an issue for me....due to recent licensing laws in australia anyone who gets there p-plates now (me) cant do any engine mods and besides that fact im not allowed to go over 90 km/h anywayz untill next year which then i can get my green p's and go up to 100 :)

there also in australia my grandmother had a 3g and had the pop ups.... i might be going into nz in a few weeks just for a few days so if i do ill go have a quick look

i saw a set on ebay when i bought my car and was considering buying them....up untill they got to $700 and it was pick up no delivery (so + another 300 for flights and accomidations)
i like the pop up's and all but there a bit out of my price range and near impossible to find.....

but thanks to your information ill go have a look at the 1g integra headlights at some wreckers for some measurements....

ya honestly it would just be cheaper to import an aerodeck.

well id love to import one into australia....
There are none here and it would a good show car for autosalon....or for that matter any other car shows

i already did some look into importing a aerodeck (around 2 months ago) and called around 15 places....only 3 of them called back the cheapest of all the quotes was around 15k+registration and insurance....:thumbdn: so that option is out unfortunately.....

i actually do kinda like the wide body kit look for the front.....that was suggested but would there be a huge amount of work to be done if i do it that way? what parts would i odviousely need to get from the integra/accord

any more suggestions :nervous:

Steve_Si
05-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Here's any easy conversion :)

http://www.drive.ru/images/honda/honda-ballade-sports-crx.jpg

SHOGUNOVDDRK
05-23-2007, 04:01 AM
here's how it started

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4782/aanip0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

AccordB20A
05-23-2007, 04:10 AM
dunno how thats gunna fit on a civic the whole front ends diffrent but if you have skills you should be able to do it, or you can sell that headlight panel you got there on ebay to some american civic nut on redpepperracing.com for $368248968945 i suggest going to that website they shd tell u how its done! :D

SHOGUNOVDDRK
05-23-2007, 05:02 AM
not my one lol.....my friends before it got stolen