PDA

View Full Version : I'm back! (56k=uh-uh)

plasmadis
05-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey 3geez. LTNS. :)

Just logged in last night, it told me my last login was December 2005. Hehe. Yeah, my life's went by a bit since then. Back when I joined, I had a 3g, a beautiful little gold 88 DX coupe. I decided to mess with it, was looking for info on the web, and came across your wonderful community. I made like 4 posts, then I was gone... As things occasionally do in life, they change.

I was offered a job down in So Cal, decided to move there for a bit. While I was there got offered a grand for my 3g (biggest mistake ever, I'll miss you...), saved some money, saw this 94 Camry V6 Coupe I thought was the shit, but rather turned about to be a total piece of shit. Slipping tranny, oil leaks, total gas hog...

Then the job turned out not to be all it was cracked up to be. Turned out 12-14 hr days driving all over So Cal doing furniture installs/deliveries really wasn't my thing. I had to come back home, get rid of the car, and got grandpa's hand me down 99 Taurus. Man, I went from bad to worse. I got so sick of driving land yacht, trying to get it around corners without hitting anything. I thought about saving for a newer car, but then remembered those good times with my old 3g. So, I scoured Craigslist for a few months. The market for 3gs here in the Bay Area isn't all that. They're usually previously owned by teenagers that thrashed them all to hell, or ruined them with hideous "custom" graphics, decals, paint, etc., or day laborers that run them into the ground and stuff the trunk full of tools, lawn mowers, etc. Then they're either asking for way too much, or there's other crap involved like DMV back taxes, won't pass smog, etc.

Finally last month, I found my new baby, this beautiful 89 SEi. It was owned by this young guy that got it from his grandpa, used it as a commuter for awhile, then just decided he needed it out of his driveway. Man, I struck gold. The interior, other than cracked leather seats, is perfect. Then his grandpa took it upon himself to take care of the fading paint with a quick weekend spray job. Hehe. It could've been worse. All the power stuff works great, except for the passenger side which is a little off track, and I love the sunroof, so smooth with no leaks.

It's been running great for the past month. Man, it hauls ass! So much quicker than my old carbed DX, this EFI really is something! The tires squeal, I take off from lights like nothing. I love it! There were a few issues, however. The gas mileage seemed to suck a bit. Maybe my foot was just a bit too heavy. :p But I don't remember my DX sucking so much gas like that. Does EFI really kill the MPG? Then, sometimes it has a hard time starting. It would just crank and crank, like the engine was flooded on a carbed car, or the spark plugs/wires were bad. The guy I bought it from told me it needed work, and he showed me a repair estimate he got. One of the things it included was new injectors, so I thought that might be a problem. Found a set on autopartswarehouse for 70 bucks, plus core exchange. His mechanic quoted him $120 per injector, just for the parts! Hah. I ordered the injectors, then hit up Autozone for a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, and got to work.

Unlike some of the guys here, the only thing I usually do after I pop the hood on a car is just check the oil. :p This is the first time I've really started taking a wrench to anything in a serious way.

First, did the plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. The ones that were in there were in pretty sorry shape. I thought this should make a difference. It did, slightly. Ran a little smoother, a little better acceleration. Then the starting probs came back. I thought it's got to be those injectors. And that's where we are now...

Me and my new baby. You dig that spray paint?
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord1.jpg

Real clean. Hey, I like Obama. Guess you can say I like my Presidential Candidates like I like my cars. :p
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord2.jpg

Love the interior. Check the SEi-only goodles like center console with cup holders, and steering wheel radio controls!
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord3.jpg

199,335 miles. Hey, it's just getting started! (Isn't it?)
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord4.jpg

Bose (blows?) audio. Worth keeping you think?
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord5.jpg

First thing I did when I got it was spray the engine off with Gunk Engine brite. Man, what a difference.
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord6.jpg

Hmm, think it's time for a new tranny mount? What's with those cracks? Am I millimeters from certain dooooooom?
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord7.jpg

Old injectors, new injectors, and seals. And the one tool you should always have around for all car repair, beer. :p
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord8.jpg

Injectors are out. Is it supposed to look that dirty in there?
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord9.jpg

And then, I put on the new seals, the new injectors, seemed easy enough.

Well, started right up the first time, took it for a spin around the block a few times, seemed a bit smoother. Then got home, tried to start, just cranks again. WTF. Even worse this time. Hmm... Gotta be something else. Should I try the fuel filter next? Ignition coil? Your input is certainly welcome.

Well, sorry for making this so long, and I guess it's now become a tech support thing, tho I meant this to be a "I'm back/show off the ride" thing. I guess it's all that now. :p

I've been poking around the various forums a bit, and I must say the place is looking better than ever. I try to be posting here a lot more in the near future. Be seeing ya.

plasmadis

Cheeseburger
05-24-2007, 10:51 PM
hey! nice buy!!! nice to have another cali member!

Rockcord
05-24-2007, 11:01 PM
looking very nice! i need to continue fixin up my baby!!! good find for sure though!!!

russiankid
05-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Nice. Need to get it repainted but otherwise looks great. Oh why do you have seat covers on your leather seats? I wouldn't put covers onto leather.

speedpenguin
05-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Nice seat covers! :P

That SE-i is looking good. It sounds like you're enjoying it. I would never put a bumper sticker on my car, though. They're a bitch to get back off.

87lxiaccord
05-25-2007, 04:33 AM
maybe your starting problem is the fuel pump relay? I know if you solder the connections together it will fix it. I would replace the fuel filter anyways if it hasn't been done in a while. Nice 3g though it woulde be awesome to do a 5spd swap.

guaynabo89
05-25-2007, 07:21 AM
yup your starting problem sounds like the fuel pump main relay. Its liek 40 bucks at the dealer. If it also doesnt turnover on hot days after sitting in the sun with the windows up than its definately the main relay.

car looks half decent except for the outside paint of course. if the speakers arent blown and or you likecassetes I see no reason in replacing. I mean who actually still uses cassetes these days though. I mean really mp3 and such is where its at now or integrating your ipod or treo to your radio is pimp :)

Of course vintage Bose is always nice.

2drSE-i
05-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Nice to have another SE-i on the board. I also have shitty covers on my seats (not much you can do about the cracking seats, honda wants a grand for 1 stock seat cover...then you get to install it)

Pico
05-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Welcome back and nice to see another Bay Area member

Civic Accord Honda
05-25-2007, 08:19 AM
nice car

MessyHonda
05-25-2007, 08:38 AM
welcome back. i saw that car on craigslist for a while and yeah it was a good deal...so yeah is this the next bay area car that going to get slammed at the pico 3gee speed shop?

maybe we can have a mini meet....with the bay area people

plasmadis
05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

@russiankid - Man, the leather is totally thrashed, there isn't much of it left. You really don't wanna see what's under those seat covers. :p

@speedpenguin - Yeah, not bad huh? Previous owner already had em on there, they seem to be fairly new.

@guaynabo89 - Yeah, there's a cassette adapter in there, I've been using it with my iPod shuffle, which I clip to that string I hang from the mirror. Easiest way to get MP3s in the car without having to tear anything out. I dunno about the speakers tho, they sound really clear, but bass is all distorted. I think the woofers are blown. My buddy knows a guy that knows how to redo the woofer surrounds, I might just do that.

@87lxiaccord/guaynabo89 - Oh man, the main fuel relay! Those sound like exactly my symptoms. Yeah, as a matter of fact, I got stranded at the grocery store last week (fortunately not far from my house), it was a hot day, it just cranked and cranked, had to walk home, but when I went back in the evening it started without a problem. Then I just googled and found this:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/badmainrelay.html

Damn, everything sounds like what I got! I even get the check engine light when starting. "Often misdiagnosed as bad injectors" - haha! So that's what that repair estimate was about. Oh well, nice knowing I got new injectors now, I guess. Maybe they'll improve the gas mileage at least.

Yeah, that page says you can solder the connections back together, but I'm not sure I'd want such a vital part relying on my hack soldering skills. :/ Think I'll just spring for the part. Only Honda dealers carry it?

Wow, thank you so much guys! I amazed you got this figured out so fast, I really wasn't looking forward to swapping out more parts, trial and error. Hopefully this does the trick!

plasmadis

forrest89sei
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Nice Looking SE-i, Welcome Back :welcome:

Estimated Prophet
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
As mentioned before I'd go ahead and replace the fuel filter anyway so you know it's in good shape. But your problem definitely sounds like the main relay. Might wanna Seafoam that bad boy also.

forrest89sei
05-25-2007, 01:04 PM
As mentioned before I'd go ahead and replace the fuel filter anyway so you know it's in good shape. But your problem definitely sounds like the main relay. Might wanna Seafoam that bad boy also.

Yes, but if you seafoam, do it through the carb, not in the oil!

Civic Accord Honda
05-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Yes, but if you seafoam, do it through the carb, not in the oil!
O.o he has EFI

frantik
05-25-2007, 03:20 PM
w00t another SJ member :D

plasmadis
05-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey frantik, sup San Jo bro? :) That's the SJSU parking garage on 10th, isn't it? Heh. Awesome shots! I was at SJSU 97-99, been meaning to go back someday... :/

Did a search on the site, found the location of the Main Relay. Everyone says it's a bitch to get to, and man they weren't kidding! Geez, it's way up in there, I spent about an hour twisting my arm around, and trying to get a socket wrench in there to take off the bolt! Not to mention all that black crap that's coating everything. WTF is that shit?! I think at one time it was meant to be insultation and/or sound dampening material, then over the years it turned into this goo. It's fuckin nasty, and hard as hell to get off. Some of it got on my floor mat, and as I tried to pick it off it made a stain. :( Shit.

Well, finally got it out, popped it open, and yeah sure enough the solder points are all loose. I think I'll take a crack at soldering it. Wish me luck...

plasmadis

plasmadis
05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/relay.jpg

2drSE-i
05-25-2007, 10:01 PM
nice. I just left my old relay where it was, and rerouted the wires. It now hangs just under my dash and i take it with me wherever i go. To steal my car, youd have to use a towtruck.

1ajs
05-26-2007, 02:21 PM
lol great idea 2drsei lol

welcome back plasmadis nice find on the SE-i

ghettogeddy
05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
yes welcome back ull have to come out to one of the pico meets we randomly have ill be doing a motor swap here in a few months as soon as i get the motor rebuild ur welcome to come and join in the fun btw clean little sei and the paint is nothing a $400 macco job wont fix

frantik
05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey frantik, sup San Jo bro? :) That's the SJSU parking garage on 10th, isn't it? Heh. Awesome shots! I was at SJSU 97-99, been meaning to go back someday... :/

yessiree 10th garage inna place :) I went there from 98-01 myself.. i've been meaning to finish up school someday, though probably not back at SJSU lol

We should do a photoshoot sometime :D :D

MessyHonda
05-26-2007, 10:09 PM
yessiree 10th garage inna place :) I went there from 98-01 myself.. i've been meaning to finish up school someday, though probably not back at SJSU lol

We should do a photoshoot sometime :D :D

can i join also"?

Cheeseburger
05-26-2007, 10:14 PM
can i join also"?

x2 :D lol

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2007, 05:38 AM
car doesnt look bad, im guessing your leather seats have seen better days though... Pretty clean otherwise

blazin3gen
05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
awesome man!!!! theres alot of us here from San Jo! : )

frantik
05-28-2007, 01:44 PM
yeah too bad half the members from SJ don't have a 3gee :crying: lol

blazin3gen
05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
yeah too bad half the members from SJ don't have a 3gee :crying: lol

lol hey shush! :)

thegreatdane
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Hmm, think it's time for a new tranny mount? What's with those cracks? Am I millimeters from certain dooooooom?
http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/theaccord/theaccord7.jpg

I dont recognise that rubber piece, where's it located excactly?

3rd gens only have a rear tranny mount (towards the firewall) and a small support underneath the tranny. (unless there's something specifically for the USDM market that I've never seen before)

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I dont recognise that rubber piece, where's it located excactly?
3rd gens only have a rear tranny mount (towards the firewall) and a small support underneath the tranny. (unless there's something specifically for the USDM market that I've never seen before)
that on back of the auto tranys only

thegreatdane
05-29-2007, 01:58 AM
that on back of the auto tranys only

88-89 USDM only? My old auto 3g didnt have it.