PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question on Oil Pan Removal

nutmeg_runner
05-25-2007, 05:08 PM
How do I get the pan off? I removed the cross member, exhaust and finally the 6 nuts and 12 bolts but the pan does not move. I tried tapping it with a wooden mallet. I don't want to pry it off unless I have to. The shop manual is not helpful although it does say to torque the fasteners to 10 lb-ft. If I do have to pry it off where is the best place to do it? Thanks.

Oldblueaccord
05-25-2007, 05:29 PM
I used a big piece of wood and a hammer the tap around it. mine was really on there and to boot I had gotten runed off the road on the highway so it had taken a pretty good shot as well.

wp

nutmeg_runner
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks. I will keep at it tomorrow. Now why would someone run a nice person like you off the road?

Oldblueaccord
05-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Heh

Well long story short it was on off duty punk,like 21 year old, cop in his V-6 mustang on a cell phone. I ran into the median at about 50 mph instead of letting him broadside me. Sadly I got a reckless driving ticket for it 2 blown struts and a mashed in oil pan. :violin:

wp

russiankid
05-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Yea your best bet is to tap it. Since the rubber gasket is stuck onto both the block and the pan, it's one hell of a job to get it off.

2drSE-i
05-26-2007, 06:59 AM
try a rubber mallet, would probably be better than a wooden one and you can probably smack it a whole lot harder.

nutmeg_runner
05-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I got it off by taking the drain plug out and putting a large screw driver inside and gently pulling down on the pan. The auto parts place suggested leaving the oil in the pan as a weight to pull the pan down (too late for me). Getting the old gasket off the pan was tough. It was like peanut brittle near the exhaust header. I got it all back together drove out of the garage to a steady dripping of oil! I must not have gotten the gasket on correctly on the transmission side. I did tie the gasket to the pan with fishing line. I will retry tonight and tomorrow. I think I will try putting the gasket on the engine side though. Well now at least I know what is involved and everything is clean so it should go faster.

frantik
05-27-2007, 02:12 PM
The auto parts place suggested leaving the oil in the pan as a weight to pull the pan down

lol.. i dunno bout that.. i'd rather not be under the car fighting with the oil pan just to have it finally come loose and spill oil all over :eek:

2drSE-i
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
lol.. i dunno bout that.. i'd rather not be under the car fighting with the oil pan just to have it finally come loose and spill oil all over :eek:

ya my sentiments exactly...sometimes i wonder if those dumbasses say shit just so they can laugh about it later...

MessyHonda
05-28-2007, 08:30 AM
yeah the oil does not weight too much anyways. use like a flat spade or something and dig it in the oil pan and engine and go around the pan so you dont bent it

nutmeg_runner
05-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I need to defend the parts guy. He did say to leave several fasteners in place just to loosen them. To change the ATF in a Caravan that is what one must do as there is no drain plug. The job went much easier the second time around. Placing the gasket on the block was very easy then I was able to jocky the pan around to get the return hose back on before positioning the pan onto the studs. I made sure I could see the edge of the gasket around the crankshaft wells and the holes for the fasteners ligned up perfectly. I think I have finished but I did leave the splash guard off for now.

Oldblueaccord
05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Heh
Well long story short it was on off duty punk,like 21 year old, cop in his V-6 mustang on a cell phone. I ran into the median at about 50 mph instead of letting him broadside me. Sadly I got a reckless driving ticket for it 2 blown struts and a mashed in oil pan. :violin:
wp

Speak of the devil here he is.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5561257,00.html

wp

2drSE-i
05-30-2007, 01:35 PM
hahaha i really had to read through this thread again to figure out that you werent the 43 year old DUI guy...i was totally lost.

Oldblueaccord
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
LOL

shit no... but I was him once. I bet you ten bucks he ran a guy off the road. Its the same area I used to live in. He lived with his mommy till like a year ago.

No one trys to run someone over for no reason thats a crock.

wp