PDA

View Full Version : Heater hose leak, need to know if major damage

Coitis1
05-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Why hello...haven't posted in awhile, but now i am. For anyone familiar with Missouri, I was driving from Columbia to St. Louis, about an hour and a half, and about 15 minutes into the drive, I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I took the first exit and pulled over on a gravel road. After the smoke cleared, I realized there was a crack in a hose. Not knowing what it was, I tried to tape it up and got on my way. 5 minutes later the smoke was back. I pulled over at the first gas station I saw. I got to the top of the exit, and turned left to go down a hill to the gas station. My car stalled at the top of the hill and i had to coast in to the gas station. I was there for awhile before the clerk came and helped me. He explained that I had a crack in my heater hose and I had no coolant left, which is why my car shut off. Long story a little shorter, I covered the crack in duck tape and filled the radiator with water, stopping 2 more times in the span of 22 miles to refill. Once I was in Columbia, I got off the highway and had to stop at a couple of lights. the RPMs were really low and I could hear the cylinders knocking a little. Once I got going, there was a little burst and the car sounded fine. Basically I want to know if my cylinders are warped now because of the heat. If anyone takes the time to read this whole thing, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

russiankid
05-25-2007, 07:38 PM
You probably need to replace your head gasket, and your head may be warped. When something like this happens, you get a tow truck.

88Accord-DX
05-25-2007, 08:42 PM
The cylinders don't warp when the engine gets hot, it's the rings that you need to worry about loosing their expansion rate. It looks like you need to replace that heater hose as soon as possible. Then look for sighns of what is going on afterwards. You have to be carefull getting these old cars hot with original composite head gasket, they will blow out easy. Aluminum heads warp easy when extreme temperatures are reached. The best way to check the coolant system is to use a coolant pressure tester. Most people don't have one handy, so just to look for coolant being lost or white smoke out the tail-pipe.
I can say when the car dies out from getting hot & starts to diesel, it's time to start watching the temperature gauge more carefully or you'll be looking for another engine quick.

Hans
05-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah if you still have problems (if the car doesn't run anywhere in the same ball park of as it did before the hose cracked) then it'd be a good idea to at least have a mechanic take the head off to check for warp inside the block and stuf like that. It'd also be a good idea to replace the head gasket at that time. IMO