PDA

View Full Version : what happens when my timing belt blows?

Beanshonda55
05-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Well my timing belt is about to blow and i cant fix until next week, if it does blow will it mess my engine up, or can i still drive it. i really neeed to be able to drive it tho.
Thanks

LX-incredible
05-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Well my timing belt is about to blow and i cant fix until next week, if it does blow will it mess my engine up,
Yes.

or can i still drive it. i really neeed to be able to drive it tho.
No.

1ajs
05-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Well my timing belt is about to blow and i cant fix until next week, if it does blow will it mess my engine up, or can i still drive it. i really neeed to be able to drive it tho.
Thanks

WAWAWA dude be carfull some times when the belt goes your valves slam into the pistons......... aparently our motors are nitorious for this.........

get a belt ASAP............

umm how bad is the belt? pics?

88accordSF
05-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks

recommend fixing the timing belt immediately

try going for an 8 mile walk, but don't breathe at all.... you'll pass out quick.

same thing for the engine. valvetrain won't be breathing.

ghettogeddy
05-26-2007, 06:06 PM
do not drive it. it will end up costing u more

88accordSF
05-26-2007, 06:30 PM
just spent $320 on a hew head, shipped (added new heater hose pipe)

took 12 hours of labor to replace it myself with a new graphite gasket

or you could add like $800 labor (or more) to that $320 if you want to pay someone else to do it

feel like spending $65 belt and $200 labor right now?

or you could spend between $1-1.5k after just a few minutes of driving?

MessyHonda
05-26-2007, 10:24 PM
yeah change it out fast. get a adjustable cam gear while you are at it?

Beanshonda55
05-27-2007, 09:56 AM
alright well thanks for the quick replys and sry no pic, i will stop driving it asp and im not going to ever replace it on this engine instead im switching engines anyway and its a perfect time to swap and its just a stock a20 thats going in nothin crazy. but i will start a thread for that maybe. and how much are those adjustable cam gears going for?
thanks agian

Blkblurr
05-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry guys but if it's an unmodified A20 you will have no damage. But why risk it. Who wants to get stranded and have to pay to get it towed and a timing belt.

Toneloc5145
05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry guys but if it's an unmodified A20 you will have no damage. But why risk it. Who wants to get stranded and have to pay to get it towed and a timing belt.

I concur, seeing as how it happened to me. No damage whatsoever.

88accordSF
05-29-2007, 09:54 PM

you may have been a exception to the general probability that it will fu*k up your valvetrain

however, these motors will statistically jam up your valves if you run without a timing belt

some people may be lucky enough to drive home without a timing belt, and not blow something. but numerically, compared to what will generally happen to a honda engine, is that it WILL cause damage. ~most~ scenarios of driving without a timing belt result in engine damage... why gamble with a dealer in Vegas when you know you're going to probably lose, quickly....

Blkblurr
05-30-2007, 10:45 AM
you may have been a exception to the general probability that it will fu*k up your valvetrain
however, these motors will statistically jam up your valves if you run without a timing belt
some people may be lucky enough to drive home without a timing belt, and not blow something. but numerically, compared to what will generally happen to a honda engine, is that it WILL cause damage. ~most~ scenarios of driving without a timing belt result in engine damage... why gamble with a dealer in Vegas when you know you're going to probably lose, quickly....
Please explain to me then how you can have the bottom of the engine at TDC and the timing belt removed and rotate the cam gear revolution after revolution without hitting anything? There is no luck involved here. The valves do not touch the pistons on a stock A20 regardless of what manual or person says the engine is interference. If you did the physics on the amount of energy in the engine during a belt break you would see that the bottom half will make several revolutions before it stops and therefore would have ample opportunity for valves to hit the pistons. For manual tannys you don't need to do any math. The car rolling with the clutch engaged will keep the bottom half of the engine rotating until you stop or push in the clutch. That takes all the probability out of it.

ahmad89
05-30-2007, 10:49 AM
I was driving once and my timing belt snapped off and it just shut off on me and would'nt start up at all. luckily no internal damage.