PDA

View Full Version : Free Donor Car

brownj218
05-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Alright, I have the opportunity to obtain a free 3g. This is what I know about it.
1989 5spd LX-i
206,000 KILOMETERS
shattered windshield
fenders and quarter panels demolished due to rust
bad brakes
electrical problems (lights dont flip up, windows dont move, etc).
this car still runs, but barely. the body is in such rough shape, and it has so many problems. it was also stolen a few times, so the interior has cigarette lighter burns and stuff on it.
now, the whole reason I started this thread is because i need advice. this engine only has 206 kms on it (128 mi). I know most of you would jump at the opportunity to get this car....because you know stuff about cars. I am very car illiterate. I would love to make my car 5 speed (i have an auto 1988 LX) and fuel injected, but i also know that this requires skills (and equipment) that i just dont have. I need to know if it is worth taking this car to swap parts that are fairly simple to swap. I know it is a stupid question...but it is it possible to take off my carb and slap on a fuel injector? Stuff like that. I'm really not sure about the differences in the two cars anyways, and if the stuff would even be compatible. If anyone can think of part swaps between the two models that would make my car more efficient/ that i could use incase a part on my car breaks, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

ghettogeddy
05-26-2007, 06:38 PM
u can swap everything over its NOT difficult but its not easy to do just really time consuming

1ajs
05-26-2007, 06:43 PM
yea you can do a EFI swap you need a bunch of stuff though harnes tank fulel pump other mis eletrical stuff

why not just swap motors if the doner is in good shape motor wise cuts a bunch of time off for mucking around.......

brownj218
05-26-2007, 06:43 PM
u can swap everything over its into difficult but its not easy to do just really time consuming

lol, all i got out of that was that you can swap everything and its time consuming. but is it easy?

and 1ajs, i would swap motors....but i dont know how. i mean, unless it is bolt off/ bolt on, then ya i can do it. but since it is a car....i'm going to assume that there's more to it than that.

1ajs
05-26-2007, 06:47 PM
lol, all i got out of that was that you can swap everything and its time consuming. but is it easy?
its going to take a bit of work and lots of time esay nothings ever esay......... thats just life be a good learning experiance

but why you wana go efi its more complicated if somthing goes kaput.

how to's

5speed swap
http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102

carb to EFI
http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm (http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112)

russiankid
05-26-2007, 06:50 PM

and 1ajs, i would swap motors....but i dont know how. i mean, unless it is bolt off/ bolt on, then ya i can do it. but since it is a car....i'm going to assume that there's more to it than that.
Swapping the tranny will require a helping hand, Otherwise it isn't to hard. Converting to EFI involves replacing the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter location, ECU, guage cluster, wire harness, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, and the black box. There is probably something i am missing...but that's just what it will take.

brownj218
05-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Swapping the tranny will require a helping hand, Otherwise it isn't to hard. Converting to EFI involves replacing the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter location, ECU, guage cluster, wire harness, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, and the black box. There is probably something i am missing...but that's just what it will take.

now remember when i said i am car illiterate? lol, the fuel tank would be the only thing i could actually identify in that list. i wanna do the tranny swap, and i know you guys are saying its easy, but cmon, you really think someone who knows almost nothing could do it?

russiankid
05-26-2007, 07:00 PM
now remember when i said i am car illiterate? lol, the fuel tank would be the only thing i could actually identify in that list. i wanna do the tranny swap, and i know you guys are saying its easy, but cmon, you really think someone who knows almost nothing could do it?
Well since the only part you understood was the fuel tank, i would say no, you are no it wouldn't be easy for you to do.

ghettogeddy
05-26-2007, 07:05 PM

SORRY LOL
anyways it involves re wiring the whole engine bay and dash wiring and swapping a few other things
but if u have the parts car there its def doable
ill be starting mine as soon as my motor is built

Civic Accord Honda
05-26-2007, 10:13 PM
ok black box is that ugly black box under the Black Box (http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9840/blackboxtd9.jpg)
the fuel pump is inside the gastank, ecu is the car computer under the drivers seat wire harness is all the engine bay wires and wires behind the dash guage cluster is the thing that tells u how fast your going anything else u wanna know?

russiankid
05-27-2007, 06:45 AM
ok black box is that ugly black box under the Black Box (http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9840/blackboxtd9.jpg)
the fuel pump is inside the gastank, ecu is the car computer under the drivers seat wire harness is all the engine bay wires and wires behind the dash guage cluster is the thing that tells u how fast your going anything else u wanna know?
Trying to tell him what everything is won't help him out much.

ghettogeddy
05-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Trying to tell him what everything is won't help him out much.
ya get your self a repair manual or search for the digital shop manual and start reading it will all make scenes in the end

brownj218
05-27-2007, 09:11 AM
ya..i still think that a tranny or engine swap is a bit out of reach for me. so does actually think it would be worth it if i decide to take the car? cuz so far I cant think of one reason to take it.

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2007, 09:13 AM
take it and part it out

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2007, 09:14 AM
or u can sale it to a junk yard and make some money

brownj218
05-29-2007, 12:21 AM
lol, sorry to bring this back.....but my question never got answered. I still need to know if there are any parts on the 89 Lx-i that would be smart to transfer onto the 88LX. I'm talkin about things like suspension or the sway bars (just a term i herd be4) or any stuff like that. If any1 can think of something pls lemme know.

Civic Accord Honda
05-29-2007, 12:51 AM
yes sway bars and front brakes and rims and valve cover front seats fell alot beter cass holder

musclecarboy
05-31-2007, 03:49 PM
as for the tranny swap, he neglected to mention me (his younger brother). I'm always working around mechanical things and think I could pull off this swap in a weekend. he's just too worried about my skills. For someone that has pretty good mechanical skills and a solid understanding of everything mechanical to do with the car, is the tranny swap possible?