PDA

View Full Version : msd blaster ss coil install

88accordSF
05-26-2007, 07:59 PM
4 wires going to stock coil

2 terminals available on the msd blaster ss coil

? splice both Black/Yellow wires from each stock coil wire plugs to + (positive) ???

? splice both Blue wires to from each stock coil wire plugs to - (negative) ???

que?

A18A
05-26-2007, 08:01 PM
yes

88accordSF
05-26-2007, 08:05 PM
thanks bud. appreciated.

88accordSF
05-26-2007, 08:11 PM
blaster ss=

Coil Style: E-core
Primary Resistance: 0.355 ohms
Coil Internal Construction: Epoxy
Maximum Voltage: 40,000 V
Turns Ratio: 70:1
Secondary Resistance: 4.40K ohms
Inductance: 6.9 mH
Peak Current: 300 mA
Spark Duration: 220 uS

what is the stock spec for this info?

Coil Style: ?
Primary Resistance: ? ohms
Maximum Voltage: ? V
Turns Ratio: ?
Secondary Resistance: ? ohms
Peak Current: ?
Spark Duration: ?

frantik
05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57448

MessyHonda
05-26-2007, 10:33 PM
i haven't had a problem with mine and i put like 8k on the car. just smoother idle.

88accordSF
05-27-2007, 09:42 PM
for best performance

do you want longer spark duration?

least current draw?

least primary resistance?

i have both new msd blaster ss, and blaster 2 coils. also have a flamethrower available, about a year old. so far blaster SS is working great, but i'm no genius on figuring out the optimal electrical setups....

blaster ss=

Coil Style: E-core
Primary Resistance: 0.355 ohms
Turns Ratio: 70:1
Secondary Resistance: 4.40K ohms
Peak Current: 300 mA
Spark Duration: 220 uS

blaster 2=

Coil Style: Canister
Primary Resistance: 0.700 ohms
Coil Internal Construction: Oil-filled
Maximum Voltage: 45,000 V
Turns Ratio: 100:1
Secondary Resistance: 4.70K ohms
Inductance: 8.0 mH
Peak Current: 140 mA
Spark Duration: 350 uS

flamethrower=

Coil Style: Canister
Primary Resistance: 1.500 ohms
Coil Internal Construction: Oil-filled
Turns Ratio: 100:1
Secondary Resistance: 10.5K ohms
Inductance: 6.5 mH
Peak Current: 7.2 amps
Spark Duration: 1.5 mS

coope
05-28-2007, 06:09 PM
so which one is better

88accordSF
05-28-2007, 08:48 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60189

msd blaster ss seems to suck...

MessyHonda
05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60189

msd blaster ss seems to suck...

yeah but on the TEC dizzy they seam to work.

88accordSF
05-29-2007, 09:57 PM
apparently I need a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor in the larger black/yellow wire going to the + of the msd blaster ss, according to MSD technicians. its cookin it good, according to them, without the ballast resistor....

will try tomorrow when i grab another ignitor...

labeledsk8r
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
i used a blaster 2, works great, and if your useing this on the accord you need no ballest resistor. i have the reason posted in about 6 other ""coil" threads, just install the coil of your choice like the how to says on here and enjoy

LX-incredible
05-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Like any other power transistor, an ignitor requires a certain amount of resistance. The less resistance, the more current, and the more heat. The reason that the TEC holds up is because it's ignitor dissipates heat more effectively. Adding a resistor might solve your problem, but will reduce efficiency slightly. Personally, I would go with one of the other coils that you have. The ss is good, but not the best, I went with mine because I have had a bad experience with an oil-filled.

labeledsk8r
05-30-2007, 07:42 PM
i posted this in a thread from like over a year ago,..

this is taken right off a website that sells the resistor
With a stockpoints style ignition, a ballast resistor must be placed in-line with the positive terminal of the coil. The following Blaster Coils are supplied with a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor plus a terminal and boot to fit most applications. Mallory Unilite applications also require the ballast resistor.
mostly saying that if your running points then you need it or if your running a Mallory Unilite system. so its fine like you got it. no worries man. just enjoy on of the best low costs mods you can do

88accordSF
05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
i posted this in a thread from like over a year ago,..

thanks for the info

Like any other power transistor, an ignitor requires a certain amount of resistance. The less resistance, the more current, and the more heat. The reason that the TEC holds up is because it's ignitor dissipates heat more effectively. Adding a resistor might solve your problem, but will reduce efficiency slightly.

.8 ohm ballast + .7 ohm Blaster 2 resistance = 1.5 ohms. equal to stock
.8 ohm ballast + .3 ohm Blaster SS resistance = 1.1 ohms. 0.4 ohms less than stock

which means that the Blaster SS would light more fire, in terms of output?

i 'll switch to a Tec distributor if it means better reliability long term

if the coil is then external, does that just mean one wire needs to be rerouted from the stock 3 wires going to the Hitachi distributor, to fire the Tec external coil?

threw in a new ignitor, slapped in the stock coil, and the accord started right up.... now to get an MSD resistor...

LX-incredible
05-30-2007, 10:48 PM
thanks for the info
.8 ohm ballast + .7 ohm Blaster 2 resistance = 1.5 ohms. equal to stock
.8 ohm ballast + .3 ohm Blaster SS resistance = 1.1 ohms. 0.4 ohms less than stock
which means that the Blaster SS would light more fire, in terms of output?
i 'll switch to a Tec distributor if it means better reliability long term
if the coil is then external, does that just mean one wire needs to be rerouted from the stock 3 wires going to the Hitachi distributor, to fire the Tec external coil?
threw in a new ignitor, slapped in the stock coil, and the accord started right up.... now to get an MSD resistor...
The coil is external on both models. If you meant the ignitor, it's still on the distributor, only mounted on the outside, separate from the pickup coil. From the numbers you posted, the ss has the lowest voltage and the shortest spark duration, though peak current is better than the blaster 2. By adding a resistor you are adding extra windings outside of the coil, which are not serving to charge up the secondary windings, resulting in inefficiency. Also keep in mind that this coil was mainly designed for use with an ignition, another reason why I went this route.

The Blaster SS is an E-core style coil, which is a very efficient design when it comes to producing high voltage and spark energy. The windings produce 300mA and can handle up to 48,000 volts when used with an MSD 6 Series Ignition Control.

MessyHonda
05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
i found out i have a tec dizzy in my carbed car.

LX-incredible
05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
i found out i have a tec dizzy in my carbed car.
Bonus.:thumbup:

buttaz1
05-31-2007, 11:17 AM
dudes
i just installed my blaster 2 coil and it was an instant improvment my car turn on with out flaw and it turned off great
im so happy right now
this was a great improvment
wow i wonder how the msd 6 would work?
sorry about the thread jack

LX-incredible
05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
dudes
i just installed my blaster 2 coil and it was an instant improvment my car turn on with out flaw and it turned off great
im so happy right now
Your stock was probably worn. For the MSD 6, it's barely noticeable, but there is an improvement. An ignition box only makes sense if you are planning major engine mods.

88accordSF
05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
The coil is external on both models. If you meant the ignitor, it's still on the distributor, only mounted on the outside, separate from the pickup coil.

my bad... referring to ignitor, not the coil.

dudes
im so happy right now

no prob

what year car? fuel injection or carb? did you add a ballast resistor?