PDA

View Full Version : Who's Painted Their Rubber Bumpers?

speedpenguin
05-27-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm thinking about doing mine. Please post a couple pics. :wave:

DDRaptor
05-27-2007, 08:19 AM
hey man ditto on that one i think i have to do mine as well just what spray paint to get.

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
id just get a can of black bumper/trim coating thay well look like new
but if u want color matched get some 150 grit sand paper and light sand the scatchs out then primer them then paint the color u want but make sure you use auto paint wich thay sale at like auto zone or kragen for around $5.50 a can

speedpenguin
05-27-2007, 08:56 AM
What color is your car?

I'm just going to paint mine black, I think. But the rubber is fading so it'll look better with paint. But same here, I'm not sure what paint to use or anything, I'd also like to see what the finished result looks like.

ghettogeddy
05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
What color is your car?

I'm just going to paint mine black, I think. But the rubber is fading so it'll look better with paint. But same here, I'm not sure what paint to use or anything, I'd also like to see what the finished result looks like.
a can of satin black will look ok

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2007, 09:12 AM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/1988%20honda%20accord%20LXi%204%20door/HPIM0523Large.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/1988%20honda%20accord%20LXi%204%20door/HPIM0519Large.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/1988%20honda%20accord%20LXi%204%20door/HPIM0521Large.jpg

it well come out smooth if u u sand it right if u sand it with a grinder it well come out rough like mine

speedpenguin
05-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Satin Black? Any specific brand? Is that a brand?

ghettogeddy
05-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Satin Black? Any specific brand? Is that a brand?
like dupli color or any brand really walmart or ace hardware whatever u have

speedpenguin
05-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Sounds good to me!

Kelvin
05-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Wow, that black paintjob looks awful. :\ No offense dude, but why paint it if you aren't going to prep it right?

PS Your badge is crooked.

Catalyst
05-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I painted mine. I used Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. It came out smooth and is holding up really well. I didn't even sand the bumpers or anything for prep, just cleaned them up real good, and sprayed them. I did like 6 coats or so, the first one really lightly, progressively laying down heavier coats.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/Supra1evan/my%20car/000_1306-2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/Supra1evan/my%20car/000_1599-2.jpg

cubert
05-27-2007, 03:46 PM
i second catalyst ^^^

krylon fusion is good stuff

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow, that black paintjob looks awful. :\ No offense dude, but why paint it if you aren't going to prep it right?

PS Your badge is crooked.
lol
the badge is gone now lol and the bumper looked good from far away but it was allredy fucked up to start with ad useing a grinder as a sander was a bad idea i did the back one by hand wich is why it came out good but nether one is black anymore thay are both white

lostforawhile
05-27-2007, 04:53 PM
i used the nappa flixible bumper primer first,then block sanded it,then used the duplicolor bumper coating best way to do it,i also had a lot of repairs and filling first,plus my custom grill had to be fitted,and the licience plate holes had to be filed. took about three months to do my front one. also had to make aluminum grills for the bottom side.

Catalyst
05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
i used the nappa flixible bumper primer first,then block sanded it,then used the duplicolor bumper coating best way to do it,i also had a lot of repairs and filling first,plus my custom grill had to be fitted,and the licience plate holes had to be filed. took about three months to do my front one. also had to make aluminum grills for the bottom side.

lol thats way too much work. Did my bumpers front and back while still on the car, the whole process or masking off and spraying only took me about 3 hours. :P And they look great.

Hans
05-27-2007, 09:10 PM
lol thats way too much work. Did my bumpers front and back while still on the car, the whole process or masking off and spraying only took me about 3 hours. :P And they look great.
I would have done exactly what you did. Logically it makes the most sense.

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2007, 05:26 AM
i used rust oleum satin black and it came out pretty good. Dont cheap out on paint and also prep the bumper well and youll get pretty damn good results from teh rattlecan

2oodoor
05-28-2007, 05:51 AM
any rattle can would work fine, just dont use laquer
Use quality brand like those mentioned here already
Use 180 grit on rough places first then go down to 220 or as fine as 400 grit, no finer than that. Prep is the key to any successful painting.
Flex primer and paint is really not needed IMO on these cars, I have not seen a big problem with cracking not like on other cars like firebirds for example , maybe it is the shape and or compound of the plastic. If it is ever hit, it is going to leave a mark anyway. Most rattle cans, other than laquer base, have a lot of binders and some flexability in them already.
If you prep the surface good, you won't have to pile the paint on so thick as to cause a problem with crackiing too.
YOu can use duplicolor paint , they have a good match to OEM if you choose body color. You may not find the exact one for your car but you may can find one that matches very close.
If you have any bad spots, use a little sandable primer on those first and build it up some, finish off with 320 grit... other grits will work just no courser than 240 no finer than 400. 240 may be a bit too much depending on how you sand. Use 3M brand masking tape, trust me, the cost is worth the hassle of removing glue later, losing the end of the tape (dont ya hate that) and being able to pull of the size you need. also, yo may want to use blue release tape on the edges where you tape onto paint closest to the bumper so you dont pull up paint from the car. Sometimes if there was ever body work done in an area, that paint may pull up.
When you're spraying, try to keep it wet as possible with out running, and dont let dry overspray fall on the adjacent area of the panel you are spraying, if the paint is drying quick, that could leave mossy looking patches.
look at my sig, all mouldings and bumpers are done body color except around windows.

speedpenguin
05-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the rubber bumper like the ones that come on DX models. I figure y'all know that but I know some of you posting have LX-is so I want to be sure. I hope I'll be picking up some paint fairly soon. :)

Kelvin
05-28-2007, 07:55 AM
any rattle can would work fine, just dont use laquer

Why not laquer?

blazin3gen
05-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I painted mine. I used Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. It came out smooth and is holding up really well. I didn't even sand the bumpers or anything for prep, just cleaned them up real good, and sprayed them. I did like 6 coats or so, the first one really lightly, progressively laying down heavier coats.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/Supra1evan/my%20car/000_1306-2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/Supra1evan/my%20car/000_1599-2.jpg

excellent work my friend looks awesome!!!

Civic Accord Honda
05-28-2007, 09:22 AM
i think the bumpers from a DX and LX-i are the same just the LX-i ones are painted

MessyHonda
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
i think the bumpers from a DX and LX-i are the same just the LX-i ones are painted

not really the dx is rubber while the lx-i one is like plastic

speedpenguin
05-28-2007, 09:39 AM
The body colored bumpers are vinyl. Pretty sure, anyway.

DX (STD in my case) are rubber.

lostforawhile
05-28-2007, 12:11 PM
the dx ones are the same as the lxi just one is painted

2oodoor
05-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Why not laquer?
Laquer doe not like to be put over enamels. Laquer dries hard and fast. It dries so fast that a number of problems could surface: peeling, poor adhesion, lifting, shows every little detail or flaw, needs to be wet sanded between coats to get a build of depth and uniformity, there is more....
You may get lucky on a good hot dry day and get it on there without problems and even clear over it but I would not expect it to last long or stand up to carwashs.

lostforawhile
05-28-2007, 03:36 PM
yea i used an lxi bumper on the back of my hatch and it had been painted with that crap,it took forever to remove it, the bumper material is the same.

Catalyst
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah and besides I have dx bumpers on my car. :)

speedpenguin
05-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah and besides I have dx bumpers on my car. :)

That's good to know. I really like your bumpers, they're why I decided to paint mine instead of replacing them.

Lacquer (spelling?) would crack like crazy even if I managed to apply it right.

Kelvin
05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Laquer doe not like to be put over enamels. Laquer dries hard and fast. It dries so fast that a number of problems could surface: peeling, poor adhesion, lifting, shows every little detail or flaw, needs to be wet sanded between coats to get a build of depth and uniformity, there is more....
You may get lucky on a good hot dry day and get it on there without problems and even clear over it but I would not expect it to last long or stand up to carwashs.

Everything you've said could apply to any paint. I don't see anything wrong with the adhesion of laquer as long as it's prepped right. A LOT of showcars have laquer finishes.

bullard123
05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Forever black is really good stuff. I used it back when I had my stock bumpers and it worked really well

2oodoor
06-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Everything you've said could apply to any paint. I don't see anything wrong with the adhesion of laquer as long as it's prepped right. A LOT of showcars have laquer finishes.

Indeed, I have restored dozens of cars and used laquer. I have done spot repairs using laquer, untill they stopped making factory pack laquer we could use for oem spot repairs. Laquer produces a great finish, but it takes a lot more work.
You do not want to use laquer for the application we are talking about here though, and just as I posted earlier, you can get away with using it without problems on these bumpers and mouldings, but you would be lucky not to run into problems.

reanimator420
06-10-2007, 07:52 AM
i painted mine with rustoleum gloss black eve though the rest of my car paint looked like shit so it was a huge improvement for me lol the paint is now fucked on the bumper due to a accident but ill redo the panda scheme soon
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/5905/1001061ms1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)