PDA

View Full Version : Talk about bad timing

Toneloc5145
05-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Man, what a long night. I was driving home from taking my girlfriend home at 3 in the morning, and as I was driving down the highway, the engine just turned off. I actually didnt know it was off until I saw the "idiot lights" light up, and then i looked at the tach and it was on 0.

If I try to start the car, the starter will engage, but it sounds like there's no compression in the engine. The starter pretty much just makes a constant sound. I had my dad try to start it while i looked around the area of the timing belt and I noticed that the belt and the cam sprocket didn't move at all when he tried to start the car. The accessory belts did move though.

So the question is, what could cause this? The car was driving absolutely normal for the whole night until it just shut off randomly. I'm thinking that the timing belt may be the culprit, but the belt itself looks fine from what I can see, and its not loose either. I'll have to take off the bottom cover to see how the belt looks around the crank pulley, but if the timing belt is not the problem, then I am stumped as to what it could be.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Belt is probably stripped around the bottom sprocket and thus not turning. Its unlikely that the lower sprocket is not turning with the crankshaft. Another possibility is the tensioner letting go, but that would be noticeable by excessive slack in the belt. I'd put my money on the belt being stripped.

Toneloc5145
05-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I agree with you '89AccordLX(Rus), I do believe this has something to do with the timing belt. My dad though is determined to prove that I'm wrong for some reason. Just based off of what the car did while I was driving, the 1st thing that comes to mind is the belt. But it looks fine from what I can see. But I can only see half of it because I haven't taken the bottom cover off yet.

I'll be making updates on this during the day as well, and maybe some pictures too.

Oldblueaccord
05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Either take the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is turning or pry off the top cover and look at the belt that way.

wp

Toneloc5145
05-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Update since it's raining. We've found what the problem is. It seems a couple of teeth have sheared off of the belt, around where the crank is. '89AccordLX(Rus), you were right, and so was I. I just hope no valves were bent in the process.

Right now, we are getting ready to remove the old belt. We have to remove the A.C. compressor and remove the accessory pulleys, and then we'll be able to do that. I'm kinda mad because this could've been avoided if I would've followed what my first mind told me. I wanted to change the belt almost 2 years ago when I first started driving, but my dad said its a waste of money because he had already replaced it before. The current belt looks to be the original to me.

frantik
05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
:uh: that sucks dude.. hope ur engine is ok.

Toneloc5145
05-27-2007, 05:46 PM
:uh: that sucks dude.. hope ur engine is ok.

Thanks for your wishes. I hope its ok too, but if the valves are bent, then I'll just get that fixed. I know 1 thing, this car isn't going anywhere. I honestly believe that nothing bad happened though. When we were manually cranking the engine, the compression seemed normal and i didnt hear or feel anything hitting. Also, the rpm's were low when the car shut off anyways. But I guess we will see tomorrow. All that's left to do is reset the timing.

MessyHonda
05-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Update since it's raining. We've found what the problem is. It seems a couple of teeth have sheared off of the belt, around where the crank is. '89AccordLX(Rus), you were right, and so was I. I just hope no valves were bent in the process.

Right now, we are getting ready to remove the old belt. We have to remove the A.C. compressor and remove the accessory pulleys, and then we'll be able to do that. I'm kinda mad because this could've been avoided if I would've followed what my first mind told me. I wanted to change the belt almost 2 years ago when I first started driving, but my dad said its a waste of money because he had already replaced it before. The current belt looks to be the original to me.

yeah that was one of the first things i changed out when i got my car. i also did the water pump and the other 2 drive belts. i had records that the last owner changed it at 60k and when i got the car it had 136.036 and i got it changed at like 136,600. but yeah hope the engine is ok.

Toneloc5145
05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
So, as another update, we got everything put back together, with a new timing belt, and SHE RUNS BETTER THAN BEFORE. Yes, nothing is wrong with the engine. I am so happy right now.

We first started up this morning and it ran like crap due to bad timing, so we messed with the timing for almost 3 hours until we finally got it right. It WAS 180 degrees off, and it didnt start, just cranked. Then it was a couple of teeth off, so we changed that and the ignition timing a little, and it drives better than it used to now.

Now, for pic's of the belt. 22 teeth were sheared off.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/Toneloc914/IMG_0160.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/Toneloc914/IMG_0161.jpg

Pico
05-28-2007, 08:54 AM
glad to see that everything went well for you