PDA

View Full Version : valvecover

StUpiD8000
09-10-2002, 12:55 PM
I am going to paint my valve cover. How do you get the old paint or whatever it is off the valvecover?

Zwaag
09-10-2002, 01:00 PM
yeah, I want to know that to. I'm goona paint mine with duplicolor's anodized blue

2Fast_Fiero
09-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Sand it with some fine sand paper, not too fine tho, but not sand paper that is made for wood lol. Either sand it with sand paper, or air sand it, then clean it with soap and water, make sure it dry's well, then paint it with even and smooth coats. Dont hold the spray can in one area, just do light even coats, let one coat dry for like 30 minutes, then do another coat, do about 4/5 coats, or do like 4 coats, and 1 coat of clear coat paint, but make sure not to be greedy, the first coat wont make it look good so just take your time and do it slow and you'll have a nice lookin Valve Cover. Thats how I did mine:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/infiniti4x4/Pictures/6.jpg http://mywebpages.comcast.net/infiniti4x4/Pictures/7.jpg http://mywebpages.comcast.net/infiniti4x4/Pictures/8.jpg

anchovies
09-10-2002, 10:39 PM
use a paint stripper
it comes in a spray can...can find it at walmart

Jims 86LXI HB
09-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by sTuPiD8001
I am going to paint my valve cover. How do you get the old paint or whatever it is off the valvecover?

If you want it to look like this (look at the picture) don't bother with sanding the paint, remove it, it's soooooooo easy to remove:p Go to walmart and buy a spray can of paint stripper. It's in a copper colored can. Company name is "Klean-Strip" also say's "premium stripper" cost's $3.77. Buy a pair of heavy duty gloves, a pint of mineral spirts and a cheap heavy duty plastic brush (all of the items should be in the same Isle btw). Follow the directions and watch the paint melt off. Use the brush to make sure the paint is melted and then use the mineral spirts to wash it all off. Then wash the valve cover in warm water with laundry soup in it.

The cover has allot of flaws, which you may or may not be able to get out. Use a high temp undercoat and let it dry per the directions, Do not rush things if you want to do it right. Apply your color coat carefully, it's all to easy to get it to run, go slow. Let it dry just like the directions on the can say. If you want to sand off the letters to metal do this. Get a multi pak of 400 grit and 600 grit. Get a piece of 1x1 lumber to use as a mini sanding block. BE REALLY CAREFULL TO NOT LET THE PAPER TOUCH THE BODY!!! while your working the letters. Or you'll be doing ALLOT!!! more work. Once you get the paint off the letters with the 400 grit, hit it with the 600 grit for a better look to the metal.

I can do it for you if you can send me a valve cover, cost is $35. To do it right does take some time, I don't ship until I have a valve cover that I'd be happy to throw on my own car.

s0crates82
09-11-2002, 12:43 AM
hey jim... did it look like that after driving it for awhile? did it ever bubble?

oh yeah, and MSI... are you using a air filter?

87pimpsterdocious
09-11-2002, 12:52 AM
my valve cover doesn't look like that, what's year/model is that from jim?

Jims 86LXI HB
09-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by s0crates82
hey jim... did it look like that after driving it for awhile? did it ever bubble?

oh yeah, and MSI... are you using a air filter?

The one you see in the pic is a cover that bobafett had me do for him. I have one on my car painted the same way. I used the high temp paints and make sure that the cover stays clean all through the painting process. No the paint never bubbled, even in california summer temps. If you do everthing right, keep the cover clean and your hands clean and use the high temp paint, you won't have problems with the paint. If you rush things and don't keep things squeeky clean, you'll have probems sooner or latter.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by 87pimpsterdocious
my valve cover doesn't look like that, what's year/model is that from jim?

It's a LXI 86-89 valve cover, I could'a swarn I saw where the LXI covers will work on the carbed engines. Anyone?

carotman
09-11-2002, 04:59 AM
Yeah it works with no problem on a carbed engine

Mike's89AccordLX
09-11-2002, 05:24 AM
I heard from my step dad that the valve cover needs to be tightened to a certain pressure. Like if you take it off, you need to tighten it up to a certain pressure. Is that true, I don't want to mess things up.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-11-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I heard from my step dad that the valve cover needs to be tightened to a certain pressure. Like if you take it off, you need to tighten it up to a certain pressure. Is that true, I don't want to mess things up.

Since haynes list only 7lbs for those bolts I have to agree with your step dad. Also I'll argue the importance of replacing the gasket and each grommet that goes under each nut as well. You can't get the grommet's anywhere but the dealer so you'd might as well get the gasket from them as well. My dealer sold me the gasket AND grommet's for the same price that everyone wanted for just the gasket alone, COOL! :)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-11-2002, 08:24 AM
So what kind of tool do you use to get 7lbs. for those bolts? Do you recommend replacing the gasket and grommets anyways?

Sabz5150
09-11-2002, 10:40 AM
So what kind of tool do you use to get 7lbs. for those bolts? Do you recommend replacing the gasket and grommets anyways?

A torque wrench.

-5150 :bandit:

Jims 86LXI HB
09-11-2002, 12:06 PM

Torque wrench just like sabz say's. And yes I do recommend replacing the gasket and grommets. You don't want the chance of a oil leak getting oil all over your new freshly painted valve cover. And besides it's common practice to replace them, especially if you have no idea how old the seals and grommets are, that are on the car.

shepherd79
09-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
Sand it with some fine sand paper, not too fine tho, but not sand paper that is made for wood lol. Either sand it with sand paper, or air sand it, then clean it with soap and water, make sure it dry's well, then paint it with even and smooth coats. Dont hold the spray can in one area, just do light even coats, let one coat dry for like 30 minutes, then do another coat, do about 4/5 coats, or do like 4 coats, and 1 coat of clear coat paint, but make sure not to be greedy, the first coat wont make it look good so just take your time and do it slow and you'll have a nice lookin Valve Cover. Thats how I did mine:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/infiniti4x4/Pictures/6.jpg http://mywebpages.comcast.net/infiniti4x4/Pictures/7.jpg http://mywebpages.comcast.net/infiniti4x4/Pictures/8.jpg

this is a nice way to suck hot air into the car.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79

this is a nice way to suck hot air into the car.

Well how come you don't say the same thing about the short ram intake's I see people using, their no different as far as the temp of the incoming air, hmmmmmmmm? :stick:

True CAI is the way to go:wave:

Micah 89LXi
09-11-2002, 01:28 PM
hey MSI accord it looks like u have some kind of dual intake system goin on there..like a new hose to teh old on and the old one open in the top..what is goin on there man?

2Fast_Fiero
09-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Yes, I was running a Air Cleaner, Why?

2Fast_Fiero
09-11-2002, 02:56 PM
And What do you mean dual intake? Ohh and to let you guys know, I only had the intake pointed in that direction for when I took the hood off and it was usualy at night time so trust me, there was PLENTY of cold air :D, I moved the lil pipe thing that gets the cold air in towards the intake pipe where the battery is, and when I put my hood on, I just took the clamp off and turned it around.

2Fast_Fiero
09-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Ohh and Jim, I wish mine came out like that, thats tight man, Mine just looks like it was stock with the red lettering, all I did was use black high gloss paint, and I don't think it had anything to do with the heat so its starting to fade. But either when I get my new car I'll try it myself and if I don't sucseed I'll get all the paint striped off that I just put on and pay you to do it.

87pimpsterdocious
09-11-2002, 05:39 PM
jim, what do you mean when you say "Use a high temp undercoat "? Do you mean like a primer or what? Because I never saw hi temp primers.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 87pimpsterdocious
jim, what do you mean when you say "Use a high temp undercoat "? Do you mean like a primer or what? Because I never saw hi temp primers.

Yep sure do, dupi-color makes them. Any place that carries their full line should have it. Auto zone, pep boy's ect. You don't want to paint bare metal without a primer and it has to be the high temp one, I really doubt reg paint can handle the temps that the valve cover can get to. Even if it's only likely to get as hot as the oil inside it will get.

87pimpsterdocious
09-12-2002, 12:17 AM
cool, thanks a lot! I'll try it and if it doesn't look good i'll try to get one from you maybe. Thanks for the info though.

89cordlx
09-12-2002, 02:08 PM
I know this is a little off topic but, is there a battery relocation kit for our cars anywhere? or should I do it with some like 0guage wire and see how that goes?

mike_fx_u
09-12-2002, 05:37 PM
pic1 (http://www.angelfire.com/super2/mikefxu/images/Picture_019.jpg)
pic2 (http://www.angelfire.com/super2/mikefxu/images/Picture_009.jpg)
If links dont work go to home page (http://www.angelfire.com/super2/mikefxu/) and click link 9 and 19

A friend of mine works for a airline accesory company, he took my cover to work and sand blasted it and applied air craft paint to it. It held up pretty well, i guess air craft paint is exposed to much harsher environments so it holds up well. only problem i had was the exposed metal should have been sanded the sand blasting couldn't get off the stains.