PDA

View Full Version : Kicker 8" L7 OR 10" Alpine

alanizgod
05-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Can't make up my mind. Bother have about the same power rating but I don't know which would be better. I don't want to make a decision on either until I get some feedback on 'em. =)

A20A3quippedbeast
05-30-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't know much about the Kicker but Alpine makes a mean subwoofer. What type are you planning on getting? one of my friends has a TypeR, the other a TypeE and another running a twin TypeR setup and they all hit good.

alanizgod
05-30-2007, 09:40 PM
It's a type R. I've always had people tell me that Alpine makes damn good woofers, but considering the Kicker is a smaller size with a little less power it might be a better deal. Basically like I've stressed in other threads I'm looking for something that responds well, and it's come down to either of these.

Hans
05-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I like alpine and they hit well. I've never heard those kickers.

A20A3quippedbeast
05-30-2007, 10:21 PM
it depends on what kinda amp you're going to run also...if its on the more powerful side you can step it up to an R

2ndGenGuy
05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
My friend had a single 10 inch Kicker in his car that blew away many dual 12's that I've seen. It's very tight, accurate and responsive, the kind you feel like you're getting punched in the chest. It's not a boomy roaring vibrate your seat apart type woofer. I'm sure the 8 is even more so repsonsive and tight compared to the 10.

MessyHonda
05-31-2007, 01:03 AM
yeah.....you need a good amp with both of them.

Hans
05-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Technically square subs will give you more SPL than round subs of the same spec.

MessyHonda
05-31-2007, 10:15 AM
im a fan of both. my friend has a 10 inch L5 with a 700 watt amp and it hits good. my other friend has 2 10 inch alpine type Rs. with just a 360watt amp and it cant even push them....we had to hook up my 900 watt amp and thoes things almost broke the back glass cuz it was vibrating soo much......we were like 20 ft away from the house and a picture frame came off the wall.

Hans
05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
im a fan of both. my friend has a 10 inch L5 with a 700 watt amp and it hits good. my other friend has 2 10 inch alpine type Rs. with just a 360watt amp and it cant even push them....we had to hook up my 900 watt amp and thoes things almost broke the back glass cuz it was vibrating soo much......we were like 20 ft away from the house and a picture frame came off the wall.
I don't know why your friend would even begin to dream that a 360 watt RMS amp could even begin to push 2 Alpine Type R's that run 200-500 watts RMS a piece. That's only 180 watts for each sub. I wouldn't go any higher than a 900 watt amp though cause you wouldn't want to distort the subs when you crank up the volume and turn on the bass boost. :omg:

alanizgod
05-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Well if the Kicker has a good amount of power and is going to be more responsive then I guess I'll stick with that. I was actually reading up on some amps that would match the power one either...and I found this one http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/amplifiers/m/670216/

I know people would usually rather shit themselves than buy an unknown brand name, but the reviews and the price of that are appealing.

Hans
05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
That amp is 1000 watts peak power on only one channel. RMS power is about half of the products peak power which would make it 500 watts RMS on one channel. Thus making it 250 RMS per channel. That'll work fine as long as you bridge the two channels. I didn't see a waranty on there so be careful no matter what name you buy.

MessyHonda
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't know why your friend would even begin to dream that a 360 watt RMS amp could even begin to push 2 Alpine Type R's that run 200-500 watts RMS a piece. That's only 180 watts for each sub. I wouldn't go any higher than a 900 watt amp though cause you wouldn't want to distort the subs when you crank up the volume and turn on the bass boost. :omg:

well my friend had some JL w0 but one burnt out and he was really cheap and didnt want to get a amp. my amp was turned on low....it was a big kicker amp with 310 RMS on each channel and bridge it did 900 RMS. it was perfect for the subs but it was just too damn loud...since it was in a truck.

alanizgod
05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
That amp is 1000 watts peak power on only one channel. RMS power is about half of the products peak power which would make it 500 watts RMS on one channel. Thus making it 250 RMS per channel. That'll work fine as long as you bridge the two channels. I didn't see a waranty on there so be careful no matter what name you buy.

Hehe that's what I planned on doing. I figured for the price on that I couldn't pass it up. I don't know if there are any risks in bridging an amplifier though...

ghettogeddy
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Hehe that's what I planned on doing. I figured for the price on that I couldn't pass it up. I don't know if there are any risks in bridging an amplifier though...
no no risks just make sure its wired correctly and pyrimed isent a unknown brand they have been around for years and have some good stuff and some bad

baqnblaq
07-15-2007, 04:00 AM
I suggest the Alpine Type-R. It has a higher Xmas rating. The higher the Xmas rating, the more air a sub can move. The more air a sub can move, the more SPL the sub will put out. Also an Alpine Type-R has a rubber surround and the Kicker L7 has a foam surround. A foam surround isn't as durable as a rubber cause a foam surround brittle and can't withstand heat or exposer to sunlight like rubber can. Don't get me wrong... Kicker makes a good sub, but Alpine does it better. When I get money. I hope to get my hands on a 12" Type-R and a Rockford Fosgate T5001.BD Amp.

ghettogeddy
07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I suggest the Alpine Type-R. It has a higher Xmas rating. The higher the Xmas rating, the more air a sub can move. The more air a sub can move, the more SPL the sub will put out. Also an Alpine Type-R has a rubber surround and the Kicker L7 has a foam surround. A foam surround isn't as durable as a rubber cause a foam surround brittle and can't withstand heat or exposer to sunlight like rubber can. Don't get me wrong... Kicker makes a good sub, but Alpine does it better. When I get money. I hope to get my hands on a 12" Type-R and a Rockford Fosgate T5001.BD Amp.
now ive owned a type r and it was a great sub till it got stolen but i used to sell L5/L7 and they both have rubber surrounds actually i don't think any of the kicker subs now a days run foam

baqnblaq
07-15-2007, 02:22 PM
now ive owned a type r and it was a great sub till it got stolen but i used to sell L5/L7 and they both have rubber surrounds actually i don't think any of the kicker subs now a days run foam
Yep. Your right. I just looked it up. I thought it was foam, my bad. I'm still a fan of Alpine though.

MessyHonda
07-15-2007, 05:38 PM

i think my basic kickers have a rubber surround. im trying to sell them so i can just get a Type r.

Crazybird
08-29-2007, 09:22 AM
rofl go buy a jl w7 and everyone will be happy:D

ghettogeddy
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
rofl go buy a jl w7 and everyone will be happy:D

I WONT BE

MessyHonda
08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I WONT BE

why not...thoes things are loud...at my auto body class a guy has 2 w6 hooked up to Memphis amps and on like vol 5 it i could feel the sub like 5 feet away just imagine when he cranked it up.

Crazybird
09-03-2007, 06:52 PM
lol oh my boys i havnt been here forever and ur already giving me the business

ghettogeddy
09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
why not...thoes things are loud...at my auto body class a guy has 2 w6 hooked up to Memphis amps and on like vol 5 it i could feel the sub like 5 feet away just imagine when he cranked it up.
there an over over over prised peice i havent seen one last more then a year myself somepeople have other experiances me i dont care how far away i hear or fell the bass only inside the cab
how gives a shit about everyone else

MessyHonda
09-04-2007, 01:27 AM
there an over over over prised peice i havent seen one last more then a year myself somepeople have other experiances me i dont care how far away i hear or fell the bass only inside the cab
how gives a shit about everyone else

anyways im thinking of taking my subs out...the 6 by 9 have ok bass to them. i was impressed of what a simple deck upgrade can do.

KWoodRacer
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Can't make up my mind. Bother have about the same power rating but I don't know which would be better. I don't want to make a decision on either until I get some feedback on 'em. =)

A Kicker L7 is a pretty beast sub. I am not sure what type of Alpine your looking at but my buddies Type R 12" sub sounds like crap with his 1000 watt amp. He wired it correctly just does not sound good.

GTRSkyline43
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
fuck it i say you get a 8'' JL w6...thats all you need...

Demon1024
03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
dig DIG!

Kicker comp ftw

6 months bet hes got em by now

Cody
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
i got a kicker 12", and im telling you, it's loud to the BULLSHIT, loudest 12" i've ever heard, bar none. though i've never heard alpine subs before. If my sub is anyhting to go on, i'd recommend the kicker brand.