PDA

View Full Version : pace setters craptacular coating, how do i remove it?

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 02:41 PM
well, i just bought a pace setter header for my accord since removing the O2 sensors was going to cost more then what the header costs. i just got my EGT and wideband bungs welded in, so before i put it on my motor to be dropped in, how do i remove the black coat of paint they put on?

and does the dupi-color cans of high heat spray paint actually work well on exhaust parts? these headers are going to be on my car for a while...

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
i should also say that i want to remove it without heating it up as i dont have anything to heat it up with.

2ndGenGuy
06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
A grinder is about all, or a sandblaster. You can buy handheld sandblasters for about $20, you just need an air compressor. But don't blast through the header. :D

Or you could take it to a coating place and have it professionally coated for probably $60-$100 and it will last and look good.

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 04:03 PM
i dont feel confident about taking a grinder up to my brand new header at all...

as far as sand blasting goes, i dont have an air compressor.

i WOULD take it to get powder coated, but its not a DC header, and its a temporary thing, so it might have to last me a few months or even a year or so. since im going forced induction soon, i really shouldnt garnish a crappy header. i only want to protect it from rust, but if i put it on my car now, the paint will flake off, and rust, so id like to strip it off and throw some high heat paint to protect it

Ichiban
06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Head over to Cambodian Tire and buy one of those 3M rust stripper and paint remover wheels for like 8 bucks, and grab a few sheets of sandpaper for the spots you can't reach. Provided you have an electric drill, I'd say this is the cheapest and easiest way.

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Head over to Cambodian Tire

:rofl: :lol: :bowrofl:

never head of anyone calling it that before, but ill give that 3m paint stripper/sand paper a try though

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
yeah get some air craft paint striper should do the job.....also i would get some high heat paint....and why did you put your EGT and wideband on the O2 sensor ports....its only going to read 2 cly at a time.

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 06:47 PM
yeah get some air craft paint striper should do the job.....also i would get some high heat paint....and why did you put your EGT and wideband on the O2 sensor ports....its only going to read 2 cly at a time.

for the EGT, i really only need to read 1 cylinder since placing it on the back of the line would not read properly. for the wideband, its at the very end where it merges into 1 pipe, so im reading all 4 cylinders. i thought about skipping the EGT/wideband option since my wideband can thread into the port, but its pointless reading half the cylinders, especially when i go stand alone

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 06:53 PM
for the EGT, i really only need to read 1 cylinder since placing it on the back of the line would not read properly. for the wideband, its at the very end where it merges into 1 pipe, so im reading all 4 cylinders. i thought about skipping the EGT/wideband option since my wideband can thread into the port, but its pointless reading half the cylinders, especially when i go stand alone

ok thanks for clearing it up.

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 07:15 PM
ok thanks for clearing it up.

not a problem:)

any chance walmart would carry air craft paint stripper?

Ichiban
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
If you want to use the chemical stripper, I've used a product called Tal-strip, from Mar-Hyde. It's full of methelyne chloride and poisonous as all hell, but it works. You just have to strip the paint as soon as it wrinkles, or it will set back on and make a hell of a mess. Then flush with plenty of water.