PDA

View Full Version : Displacement VS. Compression

DDRaptor
06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I have had a few crazy build ideas including a 200ft-lb daily driver, but my question is this what is more reliable a A20 with 2.2l disp. with a slightly higher C/R of maybe 10:1

or a stock disp A20 with a higher C/R of maybe 11:1

what would be better for daily driver/sleeper??

of course this would be part of complete bulid
with Full head P&P
oversized valves with waisting "Ti"
Titanium Valve springs and guides
Camshaft grind (paeco power at 2500 rpm.
piston of above choeices
hp oil pump

and other misc. don't remember everything of the dome right now.

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
.50 over is prob like the max you can go on these engines. and that would only get you up to like 2.1L.....i would do both....i saw on a piston site that you could get like 20-30 hp with a .30 overbore and slight bump in compression.

guaynabo89
06-01-2007, 07:35 PM
well overboring on this engine wont get you all that far but if you'd go with a 30 over 11 to 1 compression should get you some nice results. If you can get some good tunning maybe 11.5 to 1 and maybe 40 over tops but thats pushing it as far as daily driver.

like messy said even a 50 over over bore is only 2.1 L and a 30 ovver is like 2250-2275 cc's.

If u plan on serious overborring I suggest balancing to keep the rotating assembly from putting to much strain on the weaker cylinder walls.

bottom line is 30 over is safe daily driver and 11 to 1 is still a little forgiving as far as tuning.

88Accord-DX
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
As the old saying goes. "There aint no replacement for displacement".

Edit- Anything is possibly with good blueprinting & tune.

Oldblueaccord
06-01-2007, 09:33 PM
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/otto-c.htm

not really clear on this chart but higher you go less benifits in general. Also remember some of the numbers you see are for domestics which usually have very low hp to cu inch ratings compared to Honda motors.

Id be interested to se if you could run 11to 1 on pump gas (prem).

wp

AccordEpicenter
06-01-2007, 10:01 PM
youll get alot more torque than that with some decent boost levels (10psi+)

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
youll get alot more torque than that with some decent boost levels (10psi+)

you turbo NAZI!

Vanilla Sky
06-02-2007, 12:42 AM
I think with proper fuel and timing control, 11:1 on pump gas is easy. I believe my mom's J30 runs 10.3:1 on regular unlreaded (premium isn't mentioned in the manual for the car).

Something as simple as a knock sensor and an wideband O2 sensor will get you tuned in and keep you up to date if you start to predetonate.

Maybe I should get into programming and tuning...

Oldblueaccord
06-02-2007, 02:30 AM
I'd like to see it done and make power. By that my example is i have a Chrysler 440. It has whats called "10 to 1" pistons. There really not but that what there advertised as. While that sounds good for performance in reality I have to run the timing so far back it kills power alot. Running a big cam helps some but its still a comprimise I wouldnt recommend unles you like mixing in race gas all the time.

I think like you said FI,aluminium heads and a good quench combustion chamber it could be done but I'd like to see it. And then its back to my original arguement the differance between 10 to 1 and 11 to one might be 10 hp might be more but I'd guess on our cars that be about it.

wp

Strugglebucket
06-02-2007, 02:43 AM
are those domed pistons on the 440? i know that will give you a really slooowwwww burn rate.

Maybe I should get into programming and tuning...
Vanilla, you should. then you can teach me.

Vanilla Sky
06-02-2007, 07:11 PM
lol, i'd teach, but i'd sell units that you have to have to program. there's just such a competition with aftermarket engine management that the small guy has a hard time competing.

Oldblueaccord
06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
are those domed pistons on the 440? i know that will give you a really slooowwwww burn rate.
Vanilla, you should. then you can teach me.

Naw almost as bad. There the old heavy ass TRW piston that really give you like 8.5 to 1 compression. There prolly like .100 down in the bore for like you said the worst burn rate ever and ping like a pig. Some day Ill fix all that. It was a common motor build in like 1984 :bong: . Trw's a .509 cam headers and 906 heads. Quench motors and alum. heads are the way to go.

wp

DDRaptor
06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Naw almost as bad. There the old heavy ass TRW piston that really give you like 8.5 to 1 compression. There prolly like .100 down in the bore for like you said the worst burn rate ever and ping like a pig. Some day Ill fix all that. It was a common motor build in like 1984 :bong: . Trw's a .509 cam headers and 906 heads. Quench motors and alum. heads are the way to go.
wp

HUH:huh: well that shows how much i know. lol. amongust my friends i'm an engine guru among you guys i'm a novice.

bottomline safest n/a bet for 165whp-ish 20/30 over with 11.1 C/R

MessyHonda
06-03-2007, 08:49 AM
HUH:huh: well that shows how much i know. lol. amongust my friends i'm an engine guru among you guys i'm a novice.
bottomline safest n/a bet for 165whp-ish 20/30 over with 11.1 C/R

yup...openloops car is around 10.5 compression

DDRaptor
06-03-2007, 01:03 PM
sounds like a feasible goal, thanks alot.

i've been posting lately Am i making some lame threads??

Oldblueaccord
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.theoldone.com/

read some of the articles on this site esp. the ones on head flow and piston design. I really like what they do and they make good NA power.

Another thing to follow is like NHRA Pro stock or some of the other NA fwd drag racers. There always on the cutting edge of motor performance.

Power is in the head (flow) and the camshaft. The rest is just support.

It is funny to see what was considered a prime motor setup just 10 years ago is so differant today. with computer modeling design just goes in leaps and bounds. Ic motors have been around what 100 years but they have made so many advancements just lately its incredible.

wp

DDRaptor
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
THat site is amazing i want his job bad.

they need to fix their navigation stupid always poping up.

Oldblueaccord
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah I cant never use there compression calc it never works. I have thought about using them if I ever get a supercharger on my car.

The Pro stock T-bird write up is really good as well not Honda related.

wp