PDA

View Full Version : transmission filter

backhatcher
06-02-2007, 08:32 AM
hey , im wanting to know where the transmission filter is located and how do i change it on an automatic 88 a20, im having problems where its not shifting and grinds into park

Pico
06-02-2007, 08:34 AM
as far as I know the auto's are just a drain and refill, in order to get to the filter you would have to drop the transmission and disassemble it

backhatcher
06-02-2007, 08:44 AM
thats what i feared thanks

ghettogeddy
06-02-2007, 08:52 AM
as far as I know the auto's are just a drain and refill, in order to get to the filter you would have to drop the transmission and disassemble it
same as 5 speed to right

backhatcher
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
yea i know where the drain is i wanted to change the filter to see if its just clogged up because theres lots of fluid in er but it wont shift

88accordSF
06-02-2007, 11:50 AM
hey , im wanting to know where the transmission filter is located and how do i change it on an automatic 88 a20, im having problems where its not shifting and grinds into park

the transmission filter for an automatic is only changed on a transmission rebuild

i have a grind occasionally in my 88 automatic when i come outta reverse gear into any other gear

i drained the fluid, and installed B&M Full Synthetic Trick Shift. then i drove it for about 200 miles to circulate the fluid. when you drain the fluid, it only changes about 2.5 to 3 quarts of the fluid, but there is almost 6 quarts total in the tranmission (torque converter will hold some i believe). then i did another drain and refill with the B&M fluid, which probably got the ratio to about 4.5 quarts of B&M fluid, and 1.5 honda atf.

that definitely helped my infrequent grind. it doesn't happen as frequently as it did before the 2 transmission flushes. and also, when it does grind, its a lot less of a grind, which i'm stoked about.

a grind usually comes from a chipped input shaft, torque converter, or gear.. or from two of those things chipped at the same time. the only thing that a good quality fluid can do is lubricate the contact between metal parts, but nothing can totally fix a chipped peice of metal unless you replace the defective part(s) ...which basically means throwing in another transmission.

when i throw in another transmission down the road (just living with a little grind until the tranny really starts to fail), i'll be adding one of these in-line transmission filters in the hose piping:

**Trans-Dapt Automatic Transmission Filter, Remote Mount**

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TRD%2D1155&N=700+400158+301916+115&autoview=sku

that should, long-term, help prevent ugly particles from floating around the tranny fluid. you could even throw one in now, and see if it helps your current transmission. i'll definitely be adding this to my setup.

.: T

LX-incredible
06-02-2007, 12:10 PM
What fluid are you using? There is a screen inside the transmission and a magnet to the right and up of the drain plug. If you take a small telescoping magnet or something similar you will be surprised at what you can pull out of there. Remember to flush with half a quart or so, to remove any shavings that might have fallen off your magnet.

backhatcher
06-02-2007, 12:29 PM
very nice, well thanks for that i do beleive the transmission just needs to be pulled out cuz its not shifting, ive checked the plug connections and wires and everything looks good it will only shift if i get it up to around 70 and its only 2 gears it will shift to except for reverse