PDA

View Full Version : tranny oil flush idea

dalinxz
06-02-2007, 01:32 PM
So I was just thinking of a way of flushing the car. What if you were to disconnect the two oil cooler lines, get two empty buckets one for the waste and get another big bucket and fill it up with the new fluid then stick the line into it and turn on the car and just switch the gears until the fluid comes out clean looking like the new fluid. Now of course this will only work if the return line is run by a vacuum rather than the single line being pressurized. Any thoughts?

Vanilla Sky
06-02-2007, 07:02 PM
This is the commonly referred to "bucket method." Isn't it strange that thinking on your own can sometimes lead you to something that someone else has come up with?

I'm not sure if the bucket method works for our cars for the same reason you stated.

dalinxz
06-02-2007, 09:27 PM
lol well sucks that it's been thought of before but do you guys think it will work has anyone tried it before?

MessyHonda
06-02-2007, 10:02 PM
only works on a auto tho

LX-incredible
06-02-2007, 10:11 PM
only works on a auto tho
A manual doesn't have the torque converter to hold the rest of the fluid, so it isn't needed anyway.

From what I recall our auto trannies push the fluid through the cooler and let it fall back into the pan. I don't think that this would work without pumping the fluid in at the rate it was being expelled.

MessyHonda
06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
A manual doesn't have the torque converter to hold the rest of the fluid, so it isn't needed anyway.
From what I recall our auto trannies push the fluid through the cooler and let it fall back into the pan. I don't think that this would work without pumping the fluid in at the rate it was being expelled.

yeah but to get a real flush you have to change the oil again....i was talking to the honda guy and he sold me 5 qts of MTF so i could reflush it. i already changed it but it didnt solve my problem....so im going to get a better tranny or something cuz riding on 4th gear sucks...gas...i only get around 20mpg now

dalinxz
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
oh im talking about AT dont you guys with MT not have oil coolers in the first place?

MessyHonda
06-02-2007, 11:00 PM
oh im talking about AT dont you guys with MT not have oil coolers in the first place?

no we dont have any but they should of put one....cuz accords burn 5th gear most of the time cuz the oil passages are small.

88accordSF
06-03-2007, 12:24 PM
i wouldn't advise the bucket method. potential disaster scenario if, in some rare chance, a hose creeps outta the fluid in a bucket and you stop getting fluid thru the intake hose, then burn up your tranny while you're sittin in the car revvin the engine a bit to circulate things... etc. etc.

drain & replace your ATF fluid, run the car for a 100 miles, drain & replace your ATF again. that will get you to about 75% new fluid, 25% old fluid.

use B&M Trickshift Full Synthetic. works wonders with our auto tranmissions.