PDA

View Full Version : 89 lxi accord - neutral safety switch question

vrackley
06-04-2007, 07:12 AM
89 lxi fuel injected manual tran...

Has been running fine. I get in this last Friday morning and it won't start. Everything powers up fine, push in the clutch & turn the key, nothing.. does not even try. Battery, altenator, cables .. all new.. i took out the starter and had it tested, works great. Some said the neutral safety switch. So i take off the button 'switch' located by the clutch pedal.. button was stuck out as plug in pedal assembly was gone so it never did push in the button..

My question is this, without the neutral safety switch being installed, or with the button out, or with me running a wire to connect the two-wire connection.. should the car start?? Because it won't. I want to know, before i spend the money for a new switch, that it absolutely Has to have one and a good one to start! if anyone can help, i would Really appreciate it.

Thanks,
vance

LX-incredible
06-04-2007, 08:46 AM
A jumper, run between the switch terminals, will bypass the switch. If the car still won't start, look at the ignition switch, the signal or crank fuse, and then the wiring to the starter. That is all there is to the system, unless you have an alarm.

vrackley
06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
thanks for the reply.. not sure how to get to the ignition switch.. and not exactly sure what you mean by the signal or crank fuse.. assuming ignition is in column? and signal is turn signal fuse.. crank is ignition fuses??? thanks again

LX-incredible
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
The ignition switch is a fairly common problem on these. To get at it, you will need to remove the cover around the steering column. The switch itself is held on by 2 screws. The starter signal fuse is located in the under-dash box. It should read "10 7.5A (EFI ECU) STARTER SIGNAL". Before you replace the switch make sure that you don't have power on the starter signal wire. The wire is black with a white stripe, covered by a black sheath. Remove it from the starter and connect a meter or test light between it and a ground. Have someone turn the key, if you get nothing, replace the switch.

vrackley
06-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the information. I bypassed the neutral safety switch. I then replaced the ignition switch with no luck. Checked all fuses and everything is fine. I went ahead and put in another new main relay, still no luck...
So, I took the new ignition switch and relay back off and put my old ones back on and got me a refund. I was able to push start the car fine and I took it up to an auto shop to have it 'diagnosed.' When I got there, ran fine by the way, I turned it off and sure enough, still nothing when I try to start it.. I am clueless at this point so for $30 and a day or two, this shop should be able to tell me exactly what the problem is..

Thanks again...