PDA

View Full Version : Water pump wiggle

LUX88LXI
06-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey everybody,
I just changed the waterpump on my buddy's 88DX hatch, now when the car is running the w/p pulley wiggles. I'm thinking its just because its a cheap water pump. I know the bearing is good. Do you guys think this is a problem? Thanks!

MessyHonda
06-04-2007, 08:11 AM
for waterpumps i only trust honda...same with gaskets and timing belts.

LX-incredible
06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
They are several good companies that make water pumps. Are the pulley bolts tight? The best way to hold the pulley is to get a long 10 mm socket, place it through one of the two holes on the front of the pulley, and put it on one of the bolts behind. The stock bolts had some kind of threadlocker on them, so they don't always go in right. Be careful not to strip the bolt holes, torque to only 7 ft/lbs or so.

Vanilla Sky
06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
If the pump itself has play, replace it. Play means it has failed. As already noted, check for tightness of the pully itself. Beyond that, it's replacement.

LUX88LXI
06-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks everybody for your input... Its a brand new pump, and the bolts are tight, i double checked that. the bearing doesn't have any play. It is a $20 special from kragen so maybe it was just made crooked?

Vanilla Sky
06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
You could easily have spun the bearing already. It's not that uncommon with cheap water pumps.

LX-incredible
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Unless there is something between the pulley and it's mating surface, causing it not to sit flush, replace it.

2oodoor
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
try taking the belt pulley off again, and make sure you used the spacers correctly. While you have it off see you you can tell if the pump pulley mounting flange itself may be bent. If you cant tell, put the belt pulley back on and try again. Make sure you used all four the correct bolts,washers, same length, etc.

LUX88LXI
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I'll definitely check the spacing again. this water pump pulley has three bolts and a triangular spacer. I hope I dont have to take it all apart again LOL..

2oodoor
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll definitely check the spacing again. this water pump pulley has three bolts and a triangular spacer. I hope I dont have to take it all apart again LOL..
my bad . three bolts not four
the water pump isnt that bad to get to

LX-incredible
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
The trangular thing goes on the outside, not between the pulley and pump.

LUX88LXI
06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
hmmmmm I can't remember if I put it on the outside or on the inside, I'm not gonna see my buddy for a month or so I think... do you think it will be ok the way it is or should i make it a point to tell him to take care of it?

LX-incredible
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I would take care of it, those vibrations can't be good on the bearing and seal.

MessyHonda
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
yeah the engine parts like balanced stuff you dont want it to go out on you...when you are going like 4,000 RPM

LUX88LXI
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I will definitely let my friend know about it. Thanks everybody for your help, I always like posting to this forum better than all my BMW forums, they are such snobs there and don't know anything lol... Thanks again

DBMaster
06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Mine had a wobble in it for years. It never seemed to hurt the genuine Honda water pumps. When the wobble seemed worse I ordered a new pulley from Majestic (pretty cheap) and that took care of it. Don't wedge the pulley through the little holes in it like I did. I think that's what bent my original pulley.