PDA

View Full Version : Head Being Shaved

azazel_18_2
06-04-2007, 02:05 PM
I have an 88 honda accord and took the head in to be shaved. He said it needs to be shaved .022 and said the heaad will need to be shimmed! Is that true? If so how the hell do you shim it? If I don't shim it what will it hurt? Let me know!!!

MessyHonda
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
shimmed? never heard of that....il say its safe to mill down the head that much....you will increase compression...so a lil more power is not bad.

azazel_18_2
06-04-2007, 02:53 PM
He said I will HAVE to shim it. I was making sure I wouldn't run into any problems having it shaved this much. I knew it would bump the compression up a little but that's fine.

azazel_18_2
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
The reason I ask is because the honda service manual says the head can only be shaved .008 off and I need nearly triple that. Don't want to put her back together and have major problems.

MessyHonda
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
He said I will HAVE to shim it. I was making sure I wouldn't run into any problems having it shaved this much. I knew it would bump the compression up a little but that's fine.

i have a head that is has been milled down to.020 but i have not installed it. i would replace the timing belt because now the valves and pistons are going to be closer....also it could trow your timing off a bit....just get an adjustable cam gear from the group buy

2ndGenGuy
06-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm guessing that shimming it spaces the head back out. Yeah shaving it always upsets the timing a bit. You can always put modeling clay on the pistons and turn everything over and check the piston-to-valve clearances before you decide to shim it.

AccordEpicenter
06-05-2007, 05:05 PM
meh, cant you score another head for cheap? Shaving the head that much changes the cam and ignition timing by a number of degrees and by the time you have the head milled and shimmed and all that shit you could have probably scored a good used head. Ive seen guys do it but i wouldnt reccomend it. If its warped that badly id make sure your deck surface of the block isnt warped as well, its pretty hard to warp stuff that badly without overheating the engine to kingdom come

azazel_18_2
06-05-2007, 07:31 PM
I can' find one cheap around here. People are pricks. It is going to end up costing me about $70 total. I checked the block and it was in spec. I knew the head was warped but I think they are yanking my chain on how bad. All a shim is is a piece of stailess cut just like out head gasket. What I don't know is if it is coated or not or if I am supposed to coat it.

88Accord-DX
06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I've had to use a couple of shims on different aluminum heads. Most are sold in .020 size. If you go that route, use copper gasket spray on both sides.

A REAL IMPORTANT thing when 4 banger aluminum head is warped, it needs to be checked for warping on the cam side too. Take the cam bearing caps off & lay a precision straight edge across it, use feeler gauge & check to specs also.

azazel_18_2
06-06-2007, 07:30 AM
will do. Thanks!