PDA

View Full Version : Battery light's showing...

alanizgod
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
I know there are other threads on the forum that talk about this problem, but there are some other characteristics that weren't mentioned. Basically my problem is I put in 2 new speakers (which are very awesome by the way) and the battery light decided to turn on. I read the owners manual and it said there are two malfunctioning possibilities...

1. Alternator is taking a dump
2. The belts are wearing out and need to be replaced

This was discussed in the other threads but the thing with my issue is that after having my system off for awhile the battery light goes off (or driving at high RPM does the trick as well). I assumed that the problem wouldn't come back, and even after driving around for a while with the light off and even my system going the speakers just muted. The battery light came on again and now I'm really assuming somethings up. Again driving the car around for a while without the speakers running turns the light off. The only thing I can think of besides what the manual said was to change the ground cable to my amp (which stupid me is a 14-16 gauge or something ridiculous like that) which might be causing the problem. I don't think there are any other things to mention which would contribute to the problem...so what could I do to resolve this problem?

EDIT: The battery is fine too....just got it checked about ehhh 2-3 weeks ago and it tested fine.

88accordSF
06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
The only thing I can think of besides what the manual said was to change the ground cable to my amp (which stupid me is a 14-16 gauge or something ridiculous like that)

swap that to an 8 or 4 gauge, both negative and positive leads. you could burn thru a wire and start lighting things on fire if you juice it enough with small wires

get your alternator checked at a FLAPS. but i'll bet your wiring is the main culprit.

alanizgod
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I think I'm going to run out and check that first. I figured that the problem started as soon as I added those new speakers which sucked up an extra 20 watts rms, so I have a good feeling that's the problem. If it was I'll post here again for future reference.

dalinxz
06-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I have one more way for you to possibly fix this scenario, go underneath the hood and look under the dash box, there's a fuse called ACGS make sure thats not blown, when my alternator died the battery light didnt come on just flickered continuously and eventually died

alanizgod
06-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Well I changed the gauge cable to an 8 and now it's working fine :D

^^^^If I do get another problem with it I'll keep that in mind...thanks for the help guys.

88accordSF
06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
...thanks for the help guys.

no problem.

you can mail a cash-filled envelope to...

alanizgod
06-04-2007, 07:22 PM
lol

88accordSF
06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
if possible, solder all the connections instead of using crimp on terminals.... cheap tools at radio shack

you'll get better audio clarity from the speakers, and more juice to the components

alanizgod
06-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I will consider it. The connections are all crimped as of now and I'd rather have them soldered for a permanent hold.