PDA

View Full Version : suspension problem

import racer
06-05-2007, 06:50 AM
:confused: when i hit a small bump or break in pavement my steering wheel moves back and forth in my hand,what could cause this .could it be the inner tie-rods.

Oldblueaccord
06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Check out your front end parts. Sounds like something is loose.

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car until the tire is off the ground. The oppsite side tire must be on the ground still.
I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first.
You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work
your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness/slop. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or
the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing, ball joints and upper links.
There should be NO slop in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos.
pry up look for slop looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

try it this way and see what you get. if the tie rods are original or the boots are ripped,missing good chance there worn out.

wp