PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor removal

88accordSF
06-05-2007, 08:45 PM
f***in thing seems jammed into the exhaust manifold pretty good

tried soakin the threads with wd40... using o2 sensor socket with breaker bar... damn thing would rather strip the Hex head than come out...

ack...

Strugglebucket
06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
try spraying it with some aero-kroil or the new liquid wrench stuff and then tap on it lightly with a hammer for a while.

88Accord-DX
06-05-2007, 08:59 PM
ON real stubborn O2 sensors, I heat the outside of the exhaust pipe down around the threads with a small propane torch.

88accordSF
06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
ON real stubborn O2 sensors, I heat the outside of the exhaust pipe down around the threads with a small propane torch.

ahh yes... forgot about that trick! sounds good. i'll pick one up from the local flamethrower store

cygnus x-1
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
How about just starting the car and waiting until it warms up?

C|

Strugglebucket
06-06-2007, 01:29 PM
i think the idea is you want the manifold to expand, and not the sensors.

thegreatdane
06-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Hopefully you're not planning on putting it back in, because when you get it out you will most likely find that most of the threads are stripped.

88accordSF
06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Hopefully you're not planning on putting it back in, because when you get it out you will most likely find that most of the threads are stripped.

i doubt the threads would be stripped from having an original (or years old) o2 sensor in there? they may be corroded somewhat, but not stripped.

if you heat the manifold correctly, around the base of the weld-bung for the o2 sensor, that will keep the thermal transfer maxed on the exhaust manifold. which, as another member indicated, is the intention... to expand the manifold threads in I.D. (inside diameter) in order to remove the o2 sensor more easily...

my idea is to replace it with a new one, in order to get better gas mileage... o2 sensors allow signals to adjust the fuel mixture towards slightly-lean, in order to burn less gas per cylinder combustion.

if i were building a rice-burner with a turbo and nitrous, however, i'd forget about the o2 sensor :)

Oldblueaccord
06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
How bads your mileage?

I just came off a trip to NY and back and got 34 mpg with 89 octane and a splash on Acetone mixed. I either had the AC on or the lights up so it wasn't the best conditions. My all time high is 37 mpg. I dont have a CAI atm either. MY O2 sensors are original and I have the EGR off as well.

wp

88accordSF
06-06-2007, 05:23 PM
its actually pretty decent. i'll have to post an exact number after this tank of gas.

i like replacing all the consumables with new stuff to keep it in top operating condition.... plus i'm big on cruise-control at 65 or 70. trying to see what i can squeeze outta this 20 year old ride....

thegreatdane
06-07-2007, 01:47 AM
i doubt the threads would be stripped from having an original (or years old) o2 sensor in there? they may be corroded somewhat, but not stripped.

Often when an O2 sensor has been sitting in a manifold for many years they will collect so much carbon buildup that it will cause the threads to get stripped when you remove it. No matter if you heat up the manifold or not. It's also difficult to heat up that big chunk of a cast iron manifold without making the O2 sensor heating up just as much.

Oldblueaccord
06-07-2007, 06:49 AM
its actually pretty decent. i'll have to post an exact number after this tank of gas.

i like replacing all the consumables with new stuff to keep it in top operating condition.... plus i'm big on cruise-control at 65 or 70. trying to see what i can squeeze outta this 20 year old ride....

I just don't want you to kill yourself on something you might not need to do is all.

wp

88accordSF
06-07-2007, 09:10 PM
i hear ya... amen. no sense in beatin a dead horse. i've been thinking about getting headers.... cause i like the throttle response that headers give a vehicle, but definitely want to keep the muffler as quiet as possible... maybe i'll wait until i get a set before puttin in a new o2 sensor....

i guess i'll work on the remain list:

...new timing belt (2007-06-??) $40 + ? hours
...new water pump (2007-06-??) $40 + ? hours
...new left axle (2007-06-??) $100 + ? hours
...install dynamat (2007-06-??) $150 + ? hours
...reinstall ballast resistor 0.8 ohm, Blaster SS coil (2007-06-??) $65 + ? hours