PDA

View Full Version : CAI and manifold

dalinxz
06-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I know there was a thread about this before just can't find it but if no one can remember. I remember there was something about how the carbs need warm air to operate efficiently, therefore if I put a Cold air Intake on the carb then do I just leave it as such or do I have to drill a hole and slot for the manifold line to warm up the air or what? Im confused

P.S. Im going to end up keeping the 3gee and have it as my project car :rockon: so the 95 Accord will be for regular driving and I may get rid of it after a year or two since it's a V6, anywho back to the question at hand :-)

2ndGenGuy
06-05-2007, 10:27 PM
The stock carb runs optimally with WARM air. If you notice, that tube that goes from the air cleaner box goes to the front of your car, away from the engine. It's a factory cold air intake. The hot air tube grabs the heat from your exhaust manifold and bring it up, and the temperature is regulated at about 100 degrees with a little flap at the very base of the cold air tube, where the hot air tube meets it.

Bascially, don't bother with a CAI, it won't do anything for you. It would be some fab work to get one going on the stock carb anyways. If you really want though, just cut both tubes off and do the flipped lid trick. It will create the best flow, and still suck some warm air from the engine compartment.

labeledsk8r
06-06-2007, 12:57 AM
for the amount f work you would have to do to make a cold air intake besides the stock one would be alot for little or no gain, you would need the civic air box normal CAI pipeing and filter and fab work, just go with pulling out the stock tubeing and flipping the lid, and if you want to do some fab work on that chop the box, best bang for your buck

dalinxz
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
ya i decided against it but I'm going to be doing it on the 95, so for the 3gee it will be small stuff.