PDA

View Full Version : Rack and Pinion

russiankid
06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
So i started to notice new oil spots under the car. So today i put it on jack stands to see what is up. The right inner tie rod boot( or rack bellow) is torn. Now it is also all wet from the fluid. I found the crack and there is fluid inside. Now to my understanding there should NOT be fluid in there, so my rack is leaking. If i buy the seals from Honda, how hard is it to replace the? Or am i better off buying a new rack?

bushbean
06-07-2007, 11:42 AM
A new rack and pinion from Honda might cost more than your car is worth--bad option unless you are filthy rich.

Rebuilt the rack yourself with Honda seals will be alot cheaper, but there's no guarantee it will work--not a good option considering the amount of work and the likelihood of failure.

Convert the rack to manual! It costs you nothing, and guarantee to work. You'll never have to worry about oil leak again.

russiankid
06-07-2007, 11:44 AM
A new rack and pinion from Honda might cost more than your car is worth--bad option unless you are filthy rich.

Rebuilt the rack yourself with Honda seals will be alot cheaper, but there's no guarantee it will work--not a good option considering the amount of work and the likelihood of failure.

Convert the rack to manual! It costs you nothing, and guarantee to work. You'll never have to worry about oil leak again.
What about getting a reman. rack from rockauto?

LX-incredible
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I would do it myself. Some remans are okay, they just come with crappy boots and vent tubes, best to get new ones from honda. Try to stay away from cardone.

russiankid
06-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I would do it myself. Some remans are okay, they just come with crappy boots and vent tubes, best to get new ones from honda. Try to stay away from cardone.
I still need to talk this over with my dad, he wants to get rid of the car but i don't know when. If it is very soon im going to leave it, if it will be in a few months may rebuild it. We'll have to see, thanks for the input though.

bushbean
06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
If you're only going to keep the car for a few months, you might want to consider finding a clean rack from a pull-it-yourself junkyard. It shouldn't cost more than $40--cheaper than buying a seal kit.

russiankid
06-07-2007, 05:45 PM
If you're only going to keep the car for a few months, you might want to consider finding a clean rack from a pull-it-yourself junkyard. It shouldn't cost more than $40--cheaper than buying a seal kit.
Yea i'll have to see.