PDA

View Full Version : Where to rent a USABLE spring compressor?

Kelvin
06-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I rented a spring compressor from autozone yesterday...turns out it was completley useless. It was made to compress HUGE coils from "INSIDE" the spring (which must be useful...oh... NEVER), so now I'm taking it back, but I'm wonder where you guys have rented coil spring compressors that actually compress coils from the OUTSIDE of the coil.

guaynabo89
06-10-2007, 08:01 AM
try autozone and or advance.

i bought one that has u bolts that go around the coil and you bolt em up to the long bolt that mounts on the outside for a little over 30 dollars.

different places have different tools to rent.

conozo
06-10-2007, 08:01 AM
I just did some suspension work a few weeks ago and i rented some from advance auto. They compress from the outside and were durable. You can just call around and ask what types they have to rent.

MessyHonda
06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
well i had a time limit...and pico and me just took it off with a impact gun...shock just moved around 6 inches....but to be on the safe side i would get one that works.....also freight harbor might sell em cheap

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 07:46 AM
HRm. I rented one from advance auto, and it compressed the spring, but the strut wouldn't fit in it, since the jaws of the compresser were so freaking big. A sawzall and die grinder later, and now they are ACTUALLY USABLE. I'm just going to paint them black and return them to get my deposit back. ANyway, the accord is now dropped! Nuespeed 1.5" springs, and KYB GR2s.... very comfy ride, but stiffer in the corners. I like it so far, but sometimes it feels a little 'bouncy'.

2drSE-i
06-13-2007, 08:58 AM
ya youll get the bouncy ride because your new struts really werent meant to handle neuspeeds...really the tokicos and kyb's werent meant to handle anything over h&r's...and of course stock. But what other option do you have?

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Nuespeeds= the softest spring available. From the faq, it has the CLOSEST to stock springrate. So I figured they'd be able to handle it. Really though, it's not bad. It's only bouncy like 1% of the time. The rest of the time it's great.

86AccordLxi
06-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Tokico blues the closer match, as GR2's are just stock replacements. Even with tokicos, though, there's a bit of bounce with neuspeed/h&r's.

Alex

2drSE-i
06-13-2007, 09:19 AM
woops my fault i forgot neuspeeds and h&r's were practically the same spring

MessyHonda
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
ya youll get the bouncy ride because your new struts really werent meant to handle neuspeeds...really the tokicos and kyb's werent meant to handle anything over h&r's...and of course stock. But what other option do you have?

tokicos are ment for a small drop...and the Neuspeeds/H&Rs are the softest lowering springs for our cars.....on my car its not bouncy at all. but i do have bigger tires on the front

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
From everything I've read, I've found NO real evidence that the Tokicos are any stiffer. They're both stock replacements, and neither company provides any data as to which is stiffer. So... as far as I'm concerned, they aren't worth the extra $30-50.

MessyHonda
06-13-2007, 05:00 PM
From everything I've read, I've found NO real evidence that the Tokicos are any stiffer. They're both stock replacements, and neither company provides any data as to which is stiffer. So... as far as I'm concerned, they aren't worth the extra $30-50.

Tokico makes shocks and springs for our cars. the springs are somewhat rare

here are the ratings
Tokico 1"
F: 1.66, 350 lb/in; R: 1.63, 190 lb/in

so the tokico shocks can handle the stiffer spring.

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Sorry, I meant Tokico struts vs KYBs. Not the springs.

ghettogeddy
06-13-2007, 05:04 PM
well i had a time limit...and pico and me just took it off with a impact gun...shock just moved around 6 inches....but to be on the safe side i would get one that works.....also freight harbor might sell em cheap
thats what we did when we did jon's car i just stepped on the top hat and put the strut against the back tire using a air gun it dident even move more then maybe 2 inches lol

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
thats what we did when we did jon's car i just stepped on the top hat and put the strut against the back tire using a air gun it dident even move more then maybe 2 inches lol

Yeah, that's how I took them off. The problem wasn't getting htem off, it was compressing the front springs to put the hat back onto the strut. I didn't do a massive drop, so they needed to be compressed.

ghettogeddy
06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
wow my ebaich 1" dident need to be compressed just pushed down on the real hard lol

MessyHonda
06-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, that's how I took them off. The problem wasn't getting htem off, it was compressing the front springs to put the hat back onto the strut. I didn't do a massive drop, so they needed to be compressed.

lol yeah....same here....i have the same springs as you. and pico hold the top hat down while i screwed them down. and then he used the impact gun to tighten them down.

oh yeah kyb didnt make springs for us.....im just saying why would a company make springs and shocks and only have the shocks meet the OEM specs.

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
lol yeah....same here....i have the same springs as you. and pico hold the top hat down while i screwed them down. and then he used the impact gun to tighten them down.
oh yeah kyb didnt make springs for us.....im just saying why would a company make springs and shocks and only have the shocks meet the OEM specs.

Because companies just want to make money. If they were really stiffer than KYBs, you'd think they'd at least put out some solid information about them that they really are.

86AccordLxi
06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, tokico's definitely have better damping. I put in stock replacement monroe's, and then switch to tokico's and it was LOTS better. Still not great, as the front dampers aren't quite up to the task, but much much better than monroes.

Alex

Kelvin
06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, but what I'm saying is they're probably about the same as the KYB GR2s, which claim to be 10% stiffer than stock. Neither is really a very optimal choice, but I'm not spending a ton of money on this car, just enough to make it decent. :P

Ichiban
06-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Never mind.

MessyHonda
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
i just put some tokicos into my dx....and now its a bit bouncy since it has lowering springs.

snoopyloopy
06-13-2007, 09:02 PM
after trying some cheap ebay compressor, then going to three parts stores, i finally settled on the ones i have now. they're the only ones that could fit between the wire of the stock springs and still be compressible. they were $50 at pepboys. i was going to take them back, but never got around to it. although i've needed them again, so that worked out. but these make life so much easier, especially w/ the air impact wrench. spring fully compressed in about minute ftw.

Pico
06-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I got mine at pep boys also and decided to keep them
this is the one that I got
Compressor (http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1089)

Blkblurr
06-18-2007, 05:24 AM
did you pay the suggested retail pf $64.95?

Pico
06-18-2007, 06:12 AM
did you pay the suggested retail pf $64.95?
I was able to use my friends employee discount and if I remember right it was around 48.00 + tax

snoopyloopy
06-19-2007, 05:31 PM
yeah, those are the ones i'm talking about. i paid $49.99 + tax for mine, though. and they weren't on sale. but here they go in action...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/snoopyloopy/car/accord/P5250540.jpg