PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Oil Light

conozo
06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
A long time ago i got new wheels and tires and was testing them in a parking lot by driving like crazy in circles and stuff. I was driving crazy for about 3 minutes when my oil light started flashing, so i stopped and my light continued to flash as if it were a turn signal for 30 seconds. I turned my car off then turned it back on and it was fine. Ive never had oil/oil light problems since but im just curious if that oil light actually has the ability to flash and if other people have experienced that.

russiankid
06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Could be a possibility that the oil was pushed to one side of the oil pan away from the pick up line, so the pressure was lower because there wasn't much oil to pick up.

Blkblurr
06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
It's normal if you are low on oil. In your case the oil was most likely trapped in the head and not draining back to the oil pan fast enough to maintain good oil pressure. There are baffles in the oil pan to help with this. Do you have the stock oil pan?

conozo
06-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Yea i have a stock oil pan.

my car is a 88 DX Auto btw

Oldblueaccord
06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
A long time ago i got new wheels and tires and was testing them in a parking lot by driving like crazy in circles and stuff. I was driving crazy for about 3 minutes when my oil light started flashing, so i stopped and my light continued to flash as if it were a turn signal for 30 seconds. I turned my car off then turned it back on and it was fine. Ive never had oil/oil light problems since but im just curious if that oil light actually has the ability to flash and if other people have experienced that.

yeah no baffles in our stock pan lest mine anyway prolly bad idea on a transverse motor car. If your really whipping it I think the light can come on. Always make sure your oil is full to the top mark or just a smidge over. It only dont it to me once and my car was a quart low on oil and I had just blistered a short tight exit ramp. You were good to shut it off as well.

wp

MessyHonda
06-12-2007, 03:01 PM
yeah i remember on grad night....i let my car rip thru the parking lot and i got the oil light. turned it off and then back on and made sure the oil level was cool and i never had a problem since.