PDA

View Full Version : Rpms drop real low with a/c on

ahmad89
06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
When i turn on my a/c my rpms get so low that my car dies sometimes. I know its my my a/c idle boost but when i play with the adjusting screw by the firewall it would kick the rpms up when i tighten or loosen it. What would cause it to drop or how can i fix this?

russiankid
06-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Get a vacuum pump, and check if the diaphragm holds vacuum. If it holds vacuum replace the vacuum line running to it. Really sounds like a vacuum leak.

ahmad89
06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Dammit can i rent one? and where would i get a vacuum line?

russiankid
06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Dammit can i rent one? and where would i get a vacuum line?
You can probably rent one, if not they aren't expensive. Vacuum line is bought at any automotive store just make sure you have the correct size.

P.S It is a good thing to have a vacuum pump because you can use it as a vacuum gage as well.

ahmad89
06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
You can probably rent one, if not they aren't expensive. Vacuum line is bought at any automotive store just make sure you have the correct size.

P.S It is a good thing to have a vacuum pump because you can use it as a vacuum gage as well.
i'll check it out thx for the info, when i get one i'll look in the manual to check what the gauge should read when i check the vacuum. Also should the be running when i check the vacuum or what?

russiankid
06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
i'll check it out thx for the info, when i get one i'll look in the manual to check what the gauge should read when i check the vacuum. Also should the be running when i check the vacuum or what?
All you need to do is connect the pump to the vacuum advance diaphragm, and see if it holds vacuum. If it doesn't you need to replace it. To test the vacuum you need to connect the pump to the vacuum rail, which is where the vacuum line goes to the diaphragm.

ahmad89
06-12-2007, 07:20 PM
All you need to do is connect the pump to the vacuum advance diaphragm, and see if it holds vacuum. If it doesn't you need to replace it. To test the vacuum you need to connect the pump to the vacuum rail, which is where the vacuum line goes to the diaphragm.
ok how about i take pics you point out what you are talking about cause i dont know where the vacuum rail is but i think its the metal tubing or hard lines.

russiankid
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
ok how about i take pics you point out what you are talking about cause i dont know where the vacuum rail is but i think its the metal tubing or hard lines.
Yea you got it. Take a pic and i'll circle it for you.

ahmad89
06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Yea you got it. Take a pic and i'll circle it for you.
k i will tomorrow i'll post it up. I'll take a shot from driver side, passenger side, and above.