PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump question?

mr_picky
06-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Well my 87 LXI is leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez. Oil coming from the front crankshaft timing belt area. Several years ago I replaced the crank and cam seals and also did the oil pump gasket and o-rings. The question is should I just buy a new oil pump at Autozone $65 or replace the o-rings again. It has a lotta miles on the oil pump so Im a thinking that once I get in there, I should just replace the whole pump. Any opinions would be appreciated. And, yes I am sure it is the oil pump leaking and not the friggen oil filter base gasket or valve cover gasket.

russiankid
06-12-2007, 07:38 PM
If you are going to replace the pump get a Honda one. I wouldn't trust a AZ one.

MessyHonda
06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
If you are going to replace the pump get a Honda one. I wouldn't trust a AZ one.

:werd: and get some honda OEM gaskets while you are at it.

Pico
06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
while you're there you might as well do the timing components and water pump and seals

mr_picky
06-13-2007, 04:16 AM
The pump from Autozone is a GOOD one. A melling pump I believe. Anyway, I don't have a lot of funds so. . . Guess Ill take my chances.

russiankid
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
The pump from Autozone is a GOOD one. A melling pump I believe. Anyway, I don't have a lot of funds so. . . Guess Ill take my chances.
The Honda one is $110 bucks, which can be pretty much guaranteed to last another 120k+ miles.

2oodoor
06-13-2007, 06:57 AM
where do you buy just the gaskets/orings and what do they look like?

does anyone have faliure problems with oil pumps other than Honda oem? have they?

MessyHonda
06-13-2007, 07:35 AM
some one needs a mechanics discount. most of the time i pay 20-50% less than net price. its cool cuz then i have money to spend on other stuff.

cygnus x-1
06-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Oil pumps by their very nature are pretty reliable. The cheap Autozone one ($65) is a Melling so it sould be pretty good. Otherwise you could get a Toga high volume pump for about $90. If the engine has high mileage I would just get a cheap one.

C|

Oldblueaccord
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I bought one at Auto zone before > The only reason I can come up with was it either was very much cheaper and it was lifetime warrentied.

It started leaking around the shaft about 2 years later. I did the front seal about 4 times before I changed the pump to fix it. I used a Honda this time. Pretty sure i paid 86$ for it.

When I brought back Autonzone told me they no longer give lifetime warrenty on anything.

Melling pumps are OK .Been around a while. They still sell the EDIT Chrysler 440 oil pumps with the pressure relief passage drilled to short so your pressure stock is like a100 psi at idle. Its well known problem but I guess there on the same batch from 1977 and they wont fix it.

wp

2oodoor
06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I bought one at Auto zone before > The only reason I can come up with was it either was very much cheaper and it was lifetime warrentied.
It started leaking around the shaft about 2 years later. I did the front seal about 4 times before I changed the pump to fix it. I used a Honda this time. Pretty sure i paid 86$ for it.
When I brought back Autonzone told me they no longer give lifetime warrenty on anything.
Melling pumps are OK .Been around a while. They still sell the 440 oil pumps with the pressure relief passage drilled to short so your pressure stock is like a100 psi at idle. Its well known problem but I guess there on the same batch from 1977 and they wont fix it.
wp
interesting, thanks
a member here that races his A20 on dirt track used one of those hi volume pumps from o'reillys and tore up his motor from too much oil pressure.
Is the 440 a high volume you would have to ask for , or the one they give you as oem replacement?

Oldblueaccord
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Sorry I meant Chrysler 440 oil pumps nothing to do with Honda's? I was aluding to the fact that there quailty control isn't that great really.

And just to ask Mr. Roodoo what medicine are you taking I need some. Your post have been some of the most informative,consise and well written pieces I have read in a while.

When you start out here it was al HI i DuNNo but Hahhah for Youu stuffF.

wp

mr_picky
06-14-2007, 04:11 AM
The Honda one is $110 bucks, which can be pretty much guaranteed to last another 120k+ miles.

$178.85 + tax here in Southern Cal at the Honda dealer. Boy, do we get screwed over!! Anyway, gonna go with the Autozone one.

thegreatdane
06-14-2007, 06:16 AM
And you are sure that it's not the front crank seal?

2oodoor
06-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Sorry I meant Chrysler 440 oil pumps nothing to do with Honda's? I was aluding to the fact that there quailty control isn't that great really.
And just to ask Mr. Roodoo what medicine are you taking I need some. Your post have been some of the most informative,consise and well written pieces I have read in a while.
When you start out here it was al HI i DuNNo but Hahhah for Youu stuffF.
wp
dam it must be working:naughty:
I don't do one liners, you must have me mistaken for somebody else, I have to force myself to keep them short sometimes.
This thread captures my interest because I am in the market for an oil pump , mine is leaking bad again. I was going to hold off until the cam gear came in but I dont think it can wait.

MessyHonda
06-14-2007, 09:29 PM
$178.85 + tax here in Southern Cal at the Honda dealer. Boy, do we get screwed over!! Anyway, gonna go with the Autozone one.

il ask over here next time i go in.

lamontlamont
07-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I had the same problem. My car was leaking oil from behind the timing belt cover like crazy. bit 6" wide puddles. I got to the point that i was loosing 1 quart a day after a long drive. I called autozone they didn't have the gaskets so i bought the whole pump , don't remember the brand but it was made in japan so it has to be good, right? the trick is to use gasket sealer with the new pump and gasket. take the gasket seal off the pump and squirt a bead of sealer on the pump body then put the seal back on, then put seal on top of the seal. Remove excess sealer with your finger then install the pump and let the car sit over night before you use it. I have had no problems with the new pump yet but it has only been a month. i still have my old pump, i dont think there was anything wrong with the pump, i think th eseals just deteriorated but at 286,000 miles i think it is better to replace the whole pump. I assume that as a pump ages it loses pressure(might be wrong) I just tuned my car, denso plugs, pcv valve breater eliment honda z1 transmission fluid , oil new power steering pump new power steering fluid replaced all my broken trim pieces and it is running like a new car.