PDA

View Full Version : Heres a good one

EX-ileAccord
06-14-2007, 06:26 AM
My sister calls me last night, her car broke down (92 auto accord) and shes stuck on the side of the road. I go to see whats up with it, and its doing some weird stuff. She said it started sputtering and loosing power, and the engine light came on. She stoped turend it off and it wouldent turn back on. I thought it might have been the main relay so I swaped that out and it started, but the engine light came on, the car can barly move, and the D4 light keeps flashing. I unpluged the new relay, and put the old one back in the lights go off but the car won't start. So I put the other relay back in and limp the car home, just as I get to the driveway the car over heats. Im thinking I've got a few problems on my hands, but does anyone know what the flashing drive light means?

dalinxz
06-14-2007, 09:22 AM
if the light flashes and turns back off then I believe it just means it passed the tranny test but if it flashes there is a problem. Check to see if there's fuel in the tank, maybe the fuel filters are clogged or maybe your fuel pump is on it's way out. Other things to check out are Thermostat, Temperature sender unit and all the fuses.

2oodoor
06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
shift solenoid problems are common, I think that 92 uses those. From all the strange different areas possesed there, I would make sure the battery hasnt shorted out internaly, a main ground gone somewhere, or alternator output.
You may have disturbed something in the main power box though, it just all sounds like relay problems, several, which points me to the grounds or shorted batt.
follow up on this so we can learn!

Oldblueaccord
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Theres another relay that controls the door locks and some other stuff and it goes bad like the main and makes that D4 blink. Her locks may freak out from time to time and click on and off and the tranny will not shift correctly and may only have 1st and drive. This is all second hand info I got from guys at work that have these year accords.

I'd check the computer for a code and see whats up. She may have overheated it with out knowing it and its cooked as well.

wp

MessyHonda
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
time for a h22 swap :thumbup:

EX-ileAccord
06-15-2007, 04:46 AM
It does'ent have power locks or windows. I'm thinking its a ground or the computer. I hav'ent had a chance to look at it, between work, my car, my girlfriends bike, my stupid van , and now maybe my bike (does it ever end?)
I might get a chance to look at it today, I have a spair ecu and relays for it so I'll start there. I think I'll probly just call honda and ask them what it means when the d4 light keeps flashing, it might give me a place to start :thumbdn:

88Accord-DX
06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Transmission Control Module (TCM) are a known problem going out.

Honda and Acura transaxle trouble codes are communicated by either flashing an LED on the transaxle computer, or by flashing the 'S' or 'D4' shifter status light on the instrument panel after connecting a service connector. The 'Check Connector' is tucked away under the far right edge of the dash board, either below the bottom right edge of the glove box, or behind the top edge of the passengers carpet, on top of the computer.

Make sure that the 'S' or 'D4' shifter status light on the instrument panel lights up for at least two seconds, or blinks after the key is turned on. Turn the key off. Jump the two 'Service Check Connector' pins together and turn the key on. Watch the 'S' or 'D4' light for flashes. if no problem exists, the light won't flash. if a problem exists, the light will give you either short, or long and short flashes. Short flashes are a 'ones' digit of either a one or a two digit trouble code. Long flashes are the 'tens' digit of a two digit code.

Short flashes are about a half second long, and long flashes last about a second and a half. There is about a one second 'OFF' pause between each code. All codes will be shown in sequence, lowest number first, up to the highest number.

Once you have the codes you'll have a pretty good idea where to start looking for a problem.

CODE LIST:

1. Lock-up solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
2. Lock-up solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
3. Throttle Position Sensor circuit open or shorted.
4. Vehicle Speed Sensor open or shorted - No signal from speedometer.
5. Shift Lever Position Switch circuit shorted.
6. Shift Lever Position Switch circuit open.
7. Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
8. Shift Solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
9. Counter shaft or transmission speed pulse generator open or shorted.
10. Coolant Temperature Sensor open or shorted.
11. Engine RPM (Ignition coil signal) open or shorted.
12. (No code 12 used)
13. Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted.
14. Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.
15. Kick down switch circuit shorted.