PDA

View Full Version : what to do ?

86-accord-lxi
06-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I have an 89 lxi. It's a daily driver, but I want to give it some extra "pep"
Without sacrificing gas mileage. Where do I start ? What should I do first ?
I may be getting an 89 lxi 5 speed coupe that's been fully restored,
The same question goes for it. If I get the coupe, I may leave the sedan
stock. I'm a little new with the tuner stuff. Forgive me for sounding like a newb. A lot of you on here sound experienced and sound like you know what you're doing. I don't want to go throwing on a cold air intake and exhuast that actually end up making the car lose performance, etc... I need to know where to start first . I want to slightly modify and "tune" the car to allow for
maximum performance and efficiency.

2oodoor
06-14-2007, 10:18 AM
you aint no noob!!

CAI would help your Lxi, they just dont help as much on d-series civics, if you heard CAI do not do that much.

a good tune up, NGK plugs, check that distributor advance systems are all working, vacuum and mechancal..after that set the timing about 2 degrees more than spec tells if you have some miles on the motor. Do not advance it to where it pings under load though.
4 wheel alignment, lose some weight in the car, like things in the trunk you dont need in there. etc..correct tire pressure..
other wise unless you go big, the same of stuff you find all over the site, catback exhaust, If your automatic, that probably needs some fine adjustment for shift points, whole other subject there...

LiTtLe xOx BitT
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I/H/E and a camgear.

guaynabo89
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
the normal bolt ons will actually make the car lose a little bit of its torque, but will make up in the top end.

Manufacturers claim increased gas milage for the simple bolt ons like header catback and cold air intake.

If you start with the basic three in my opinion you'll need a nice mild cam to bring it all together. Gas milage is up in the air at that point but you might get lucky and wind up with the same or better.

Just to give you an example.....My engine is modded as modded can be and running rich I still got 28-30mpg highway!

If you get a pacesetter header and exhaust weld in a flexpipe in the header and swap that ugly ass muffler for another on and add a nice glasspack/resonator to the pacesetter exhauset will probably run you in the 350 dollar range depending where you get your parts.

Then a regrind 100 dollars give or take depnding who you go with and a cheap 2.5 ebay cai will probably put you in the 500.00 dollar range and get you some peppynes youd be proud of ;)

All this of course after all the regular maintanace like tune up n cleaning. (having injectors cleaned wouldnt be a bad idea)

MessyHonda
06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah bolts ons...and SEAFOAM....lol

bobafett
06-15-2007, 09:40 AM
another thing to keep in mind when you end up with intake header, and exhaust, and cam, the basics - you WILL be heavier on the throttle, the lost low end power makes the car more sluggish under 3000 rpm, but its so much MORE fun at 3000+ that you spend more time there and consequently use more gas.

its all worth it, and if you really really wanted to conserve your mpgs then just keep your foot out of it. but yes in theory intakes and headers would allow for slightly better mileage. a coil and ignition system and a good tune up will help out with mileage and general response across the powerband.

depending on what you mean by 'tune' there isn't a lot that can be done, but an SAFC would allow to some control over your fuel at least.

2oodoor
06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
another thing to keep in mind when you end up with intake header, and exhaust, and cam, the basics - you WILL be heavier on the throttle, the lost low end power makes the car more sluggish under 3000 rpm, but its so much MORE fun at 3000+ that you spend more time there and consequently use more gas.

its all worth it, and if you really really wanted to conserve your mpgs then just keep your foot out of it. but yes in theory intakes and headers would allow for slightly better mileage. a coil and ignition system and a good tune up will help out with mileage and general response across the powerband.

depending on what you mean by 'tune' there isn't a lot that can be done, but an SAFC would allow to some control over your fuel at least.
could not have been said any better
I still get avg 29 mpg, but if I try to poke along it gets slower and slower till it seems like it wants to load up but doesnt actually. So I stay "in it " but not really IN it if that makes sense. You have to keep it 'flowing' ,because it does flow so well, to maintain torque for momemtum.

Toohardtohandle
06-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Your question is exactly the same as mine, only I asked it about 6 months ago. And as the guys have mentioned I followed their advice and am very happy with the results. If you have a look at the thread "Top Speed" you'll see what I've been able to achieve with the Bolt-on's that the guys have suggested. The one advantage you'll have over me is that your Lx-i is a 5 speed and mine is auto:(.

The only two pieces I'm missing for my car is the adjustable cam gear, and a improved throttle body. And of course the auto swap to 5sp (lol).

The long and the short of it is...I'm happy with my car. It's not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination, but it's quick/cheap on gas/and handles extremely well for a car that is now pushing 20 years old.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your up-grades

86-accord-lxi
06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the tips/suggestions. I'm going to start with an 89 lxi coupe 5speed. rebuilt engine. new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, all new suspension and shocks. honda "fat fives". Real sweet ride. The guy showed me receipts for $6,000 worth of work done to it. It's really cool because I can just move right on to the fun stuff, modz ! Well, I haven't officially got the coupe yet. I'm not sure If I should get it, or just make my 89 lxi 4 door
the project car. The only problem is that I'd have to put a 5 speed in it.

2oodoor
06-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Autos are ok if you treat them right and you have and 89 transmission
Also the trans throttle control cable is important to, I think the death of many of the autos is improper adjustment and general abuse. You have to keep the fluid changed too with Honda brand fluid.
I love the way mine sounds when it shifts and hey, no missed shifts.
If you start going towards 150+ HP, you may run into problems though, maybe not..
I think one of the biggest disadvantages of the auto in "sports driving modes" is gear ratio, the torque converter kind of sucks up pieces of good power band torque so you lose some of the G force..lol
in the auto...Im drawing out second gear, kind of like snowballing up to speed , while a five speed would be jumping ahead , having shifted almost to fouth already, but after 60 yards it kind of evens out more and its on then.. lol

MessyHonda
06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the tips/suggestions. I'm going to start with an 89 lxi coupe 5speed. rebuilt engine. new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, all new suspension and shocks. honda "fat fives". Real sweet ride. The guy showed me receipts for $6,000 worth of work done to it. It's really cool because I can just move right on to the fun stuff, modz ! Well, I haven't officially got the coupe yet. I'm not sure If I should get it, or just make my 89 lxi 4 door
the project car. The only problem is that I'd have to put a 5 speed in it.

sounds like a good deal.