PDA

View Full Version : Did the 81 hatch come with A/C?

Legend_master
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Well the title says it all, I am looking into a 1Gee hatch around here and it seem to be a good deal. The thing is I need a car with AC and if it dosent have it then I dont really want to pick it up. Let me know what you 1geezers think.

Blaaz
06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Some of them did, but not all of them.

Legend_master
06-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Some of them did, but not all of them.

So it was an option. I will check it out first hand. Thanks for the help.

2ndGenGuy
06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I think most of the LX models did. The LX's are a touch more rare, but I don't think even all of them came with A/C.

guaynabo89
06-15-2007, 07:00 PM
my old 78 cvcc hatch had ac. didnt work though

One time I found a mint 78 sedan with ac andpower steering and the junkyard. It still had the keys in it with a batery and gas so I was pimpin big time in the junkyard with AC. lol

lostforawhile
06-16-2007, 03:29 AM
even all my civic dx models from 81 had ac,some of the even earlier ones even had a module that went under the dash,like a vintage air aftermarket one,but it was factory. none of them in those years were even shipped here with the ac installed. had something to do with import taxes. all the early ones had the entire ac system installed as a dealer option. it was a kit from honda.

offthahook
06-16-2007, 11:07 AM
even all my civic dx models from 81 had ac,some of the even earlier ones even had a module that went under the dash,like a vintage air aftermarket one,but it was factory. none of them in those years were even shipped here with the ac installed. had something to do with import taxes. all the early ones had the entire ac system installed as a dealer option. it was a kit from honda.

Yes and no. The Accord LX did have AC installed at the factory in years 80 and 81. The LX ONLY came in the 3 door model back then; all 4 doors were DX's. In 1977, AC was a dealer added option on all the Accords. 1978 was the first year for the Acord LX, but I don't know if AC was standard on the Accord LX in 78. I would guess most dealers installed AC units on almost every Accord DX and charged a grip of money for them, in addition to the marked up sticker. Yes, it was a kit installed at the dealer and it was manufactured for Honda. I know as late as 1991 (probably later as well), dealers still added AC to the Accord DX and most Civics. Honda doesn't do a lot of options at the factory like "some Accords get AC or cruise and some don't." It's all or nothing when they're built, according to trimline-- either they ALL got AC (or PW, CC, etc) or NONE got AC (or PW, CC, etc) at the factory. Dealer added AC units were very popular for the extra money they brought in.

When I worked at a Honda dealer in 1991, the only FACTORY option on the Accord was the transmission (AT or MT). ALL the Accord LX's and EX's had factory air off the line and NONE of the DX's did. I would say 90% of the DX's got AC units at the dealer. I forget which Civic and Lude lines had true factory air, but it was the same deal. Either all of a certain trimline got AC or none of them did. I don't know how Honda does it these days, but I would guess it's pretty standard on every car except maybe a true starter Civic.

Oldblueaccord
06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Im in agreement.

As far as I can remember the LX cars got AC,cassette radio,power steering and I think 5 speed but the last one I would think could be optional auto. I owned about a dozen of them over the years so its hazy back that far. Good cars little under powered is all now days.

wp

lostforawhile
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
they had the option of ac, i had a bunch of 81 civics and even the dx had the option of AC on it. if the civic had ac back then,the higher end accord def did.

Civic Accord Honda
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
this thread is 6 months old

lostforawhile
03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
this thread is 6 months oldso we are talking about something from 81. the ac on the older hondas didn't come here installed, something about lower taxes on the car, all the ac put in in 81 would have been installed as a dealer kit. Honda made the kit, but it was installed here.

1GCustomAccord
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Mine, a 1979 sedan came factory with A/C and P/S (still working great.. BOTH)