PDA

View Full Version : K&N Question

Accy
09-11-2002, 05:38 AM
Just a small little (possibly stupid)quetion about K&N Filters. If N E 1 can help me out, greatly appreciated.

I know that K&N Filters offer a much larger air flow. my question is. Does this mean increased dust and dirt collection due to the fact that more air passes thru?

Thanks for the help

ACCORDS WILL LIVE FOR EVER!

Mike's89AccordLX
09-11-2002, 05:54 AM
No, because the red oil keeps dirt and dust out. If your filter is old and not oiled, it will get dust in. I have a K&N normal filter and a K&N breather filter for my valve cover. Looks sweet as hell! :rice:

87accordlx
09-11-2002, 11:10 AM
just eondering if K&N air filters are the only filters with red cloth in them, because when i bought the car it had a red air filter in it that was dirty as hell, so i threw it out not thinking, so did i throw 80 dollars into the garbage?

87pimpsterdocious
09-11-2002, 03:40 PM
where is the best/cheapest place to get k&n cone style filters? I've been searching and I can hardly find them anywhere, yet I thought they were the most popular brand!

89accordlxi
09-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 87accordlx
just eondering if K&N air filters are the only filters with red cloth in them, because when i bought the car it had a red air filter in it that was dirty as hell, so i threw it out not thinking, so did i throw 80 dollars into the garbage?
Depends, was it pleated with metal mesh around it. K&N filters are actually white cotton. The color comes from the oil sprayed on it and it is kind of a redish purple..

Originally posted by 87pimpsterdocious
where is the best/cheapest place to get k&n cone style filters? I've been searching and I can hardly find them anywhere, yet I thought they were the most popular brand!

Just go to the nearest auto parts store that sells K&N filters. Ask them if they have a catalog that you can order from. In the end, it will cost about the same if you bought it off the web since you won't be paying any shipping charges. Plus stores can get them pretty fast so you won't have to wait too long...

Peace..

Accy
09-12-2002, 08:01 AM
So the K&N Air Filter does not increase dirt and dust flow? but rather increases air flow! Is the filter cotton the same material as other filter material?

Remember kids never :beer: and drive and only you can prevent forest fires ;-)

87accordlx
09-12-2002, 11:03 AM
yes it did have mesh around it and it was a redish purple
DOH!!!!!!!

89accordlxi
09-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Accy
So the K&N Air Filter does not increase dirt and dust flow? but rather increases air flow! Is the filter cotton the same material as other filter material?

Remember kids never :beer: and drive and only you can prevent forest fires ;-)

Yes, the K&N as well as other cone type filters helps to increase air flow. However, since they are exposed to the elements and not housed in an air box, they do tend to gather dust, dirt and bugs. That's what makes K&N filters so unique since they are cleanable and re-oilable(if that is even a word). I don't know if there are any
other filters out there that air washable.
Hope that helps...

Originally posted by 87accordlx
yes it did have mesh around it and it was a redish purple
DOH!!!!!!
DOH!!!!!! is right.:lol

Accy
09-13-2002, 05:48 AM
Well yes that helps quite a lot. Never knew they were air cleanable and re oilable. Thanks a bunch for the help ppl.

89 Accords Rock
09-13-2002, 06:36 AM
87 accord lx.. wher ein ontario you at:>

ACCORD EX
09-13-2002, 10:04 AM
hahah nice post !
means more air cleaned air !

MIKE

Accy
09-13-2002, 06:14 PM
Hey Im from the GTA (greater Toronto Area) where u from '89 acc. rock'?

89cordlx
09-14-2002, 06:45 AM
good, someone clarified it for me. I have been wondering for awhile weither or not K&N's were washable.... now I just need to get some of that oil. Would I be able to buy it at AutoZone?

Mike's89AccordLX
09-14-2002, 04:53 PM
It's called a K&N filter Re-charge kit. About $10, and well worth it: it comes with the cleaning spray and the red oil.