PDA

View Full Version : full bodied coil overs vs coil over sleeves

newaccorddriver
06-16-2007, 11:57 PM
what are the pros and cons of each of them? ive got access to some konis and i can easily get the adjustable coil over sleeves or lowering springs to go with them. i also cant really find any shop willing to break up a set of them, and im about to put my car in the road within a month, and as far as i know, its way too low to a point where ill be hitting the ground too much. any input is greatly appreciated.

newaccorddriver
06-17-2007, 11:57 PM
anyone?

86AccordLxi
06-18-2007, 09:32 AM
You don't lose suspension travel when you lower a fullbodied coilover because the lower mount is usually threaded, unlike a coilover sleeve where you do lose travel.

Alex

coope
06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
i got sleevs and they ride like a bitch don't get them i going with fullbodied as some as i get a chance

newaccorddriver
06-18-2007, 09:54 AM
You don't lose suspension travel when you lower a fullbodied coilover because the lower mount is usually threaded, unlike a coilover sleeve where you do lose travel.

Alex

but i thought if the spring was adjusted all the way to the bottom, its like riding on stock suspension. when you lower the car, your just making the stroke shorter then normal?

would konis survive thjis type of springs?

86AccordLxi
06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
On a full bodied setup, you don't end up compressing the spring at all to lower (well, you can--it's called preload, but it's not necessary). So you can thread the lower mount (where the strut mounts to the car, not the spring perch), all the way up, and you haven't lost any travel, you've just slammed the car.

Alex

newaccorddriver
06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
the only thing attracting me to a sleeve setup is purely its cost. sleeves cost next to nothing, and a set of full bodied coilovers cost me about 1k. and when one of them blows, thats when im in trouble.

wprocomp
06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
full-bodied coilovers can usually be fixed(I know my HKS ones can) and are worlds better than sleeved style,save your money and go full bodied

Legend_master
06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
full-bodied coilovers can usually be fixed(I know my HKS ones can) and are worlds better than sleeved style,save your money and go full bodied

Every single part of the D2 coilovers can be replaced and they are covered under a 1 year warranty, even if they are used in a racing application.

bobafett
06-18-2007, 03:39 PM
and we know of a shop that will break them up. :)

Legend_master
06-18-2007, 04:01 PM
and we know of a shop that will break them up. :)

*Cough* Nolimitmotorsports (http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/d2-racing/) *Cough*

che3wy
06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
im on the verge of getting the D2. damn you legend

Legend_master
06-18-2007, 06:35 PM
im on the verge of getting the D2. damn you legend

YOur welcome :) .

86AccordLxi
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
If you're spending that kind of money, get a set of konis revalved and some ground control coilovers.

I wouldn't waste money on ksport/d2.

Alex

wprocomp
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
If you're spending that kind of money, get a set of konis revalved and some ground control coilovers.

Alex

techncally he does not have to go d2/ksport he can go with whatever coilover he wants as long as he can find someone to mix and match them

Legend_master
06-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Alex

Dude, seriously what is you problem with D2s. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I know the Nissans dont due to well with them, but my car has had no problems. I have read many threads on H-T where people have been riding around for a more then a year or so with no problems. Also you tell me where to get some konis and I would have gone with them. If you meant to say Bilsteins then I dont really see the point in paying 1K for some struts when I can get a full bodied coilover for the same price. I chose to go a little more stiff then what I needed, but thats the dilemma with experimenting with new parts for a car. When Tein decides to split up kits I might consider that, but until then Bilsteins are to damn expensive for what they are.

86AccordLxi
06-19-2007, 05:40 AM
People who have never have had coilovers love them...if you owned something better, you realize they're underdamped. Plus, with all the stories of people driving only a few days/weeks/months and then blowing them (even on honda-tech). I know of at least two friends who started out with them and quickly blew them up.

It's the same story for pretty much every entry level coilover: "zomg, these are the best evAr!!" Only after stepping up to something good does reality come apparent.

Alex

che3wy
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
well i dont have a problem with getting tein kits split up. im getting quotes for the basic set up for 800 and the flex for 1300. im just a bit worried bout mounting issues. another thing is that the basic's arent adjustable but flex are so iunno =/ plus i got a quote from no limit for 925 shiped for the d2's so price is somthing of consideration