PDA

View Full Version : carb intakes....(don't shoot me!)

original2k
09-11-2002, 09:30 AM
now i know i am so n00b and everything, but i've been reading the posts and about last month sometime u guys were doing a faceoff of cai's and intakes of such, i've been going through previous threads attempting to avoid posting a new thread about a played out question so i'll avoid all the extra's and get to the point,

1) what intake can i put on my carbed 88 lx,
2) do i have to remove the carbeurator? i saw A20's and wonder if i have to do that myself, i ask becuz i went to a local speed shop and the owner told me on his old muscle car he had a ram air setup by keeping the carb there but running an intake down to the bumper.
3) is it better to just improvise off of team del sol's intake?

if u haven't noticed i'm trying to avoid removing the carb alltogether cuz i don't like messing with ish i don't know anything about lol. but u guys get the idea THANKS ALMIGHTY 3GEEZ MASTERS!!!!!:help:

A20A1
09-11-2002, 10:00 AM
The intake pipe is universal, but to fit the pipe to the carb you need a custom made adapter.

original2k
09-11-2002, 10:04 AM
hmm i'm not sure if we're on the same page here, but i don't want to remove that oval housing thing like u did unless i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, u know the filter and all? that's what u did right? the guy at the auto store actually took the stock airfilter and ran the intake to the fender, he actually cut a whole on the other side and made another one too but that's not the point, hehe get my drift man? when u say universal is there a specific model i should look for? thx for responding A20! i'm not worthy!

A20A1
09-11-2002, 10:24 AM
hmm, ok now I see what you mean... You can buy a 2.5" air ducting hose. Actually Delta which make construction equiptment you see in hardware stores, make the nicest saw dust collector hose. It's got ridges on the exterior of the pipe but is nice and smooth on the interior. I think it comes in a 3" diameter as well.

Anyways, you can buy a few feet of that hose and then duct tape it to where the stock hose is attatched. then locate the hole on the left side of the battery... below the battery tray. the hole may have a plasic cap over it. The hole is only 2" or 2.5" wide. so you wont be able to run the 3" down the hole and into the bumper to get cold air.

original2k
09-11-2002, 11:26 AM
ahh i c, so there is a hole underneath the battery i can use to do that? hmm sounds like i'm gonna have to remove the bumper in order to do this, i know there's a how to on that so i won't even bother u with that, final question! ok 2, lol the cone filter being down there is subsectable to water correct? is it safer just to relocate the battery and make the intake where the battery was? or is it ok to do the ram air setup? pro's/con's of the fender setup and relocating the battery? ok i know that was like 5 questions but is there a how to on relocating the battery? i'm scared to do it but if it isn't hard i'll try! thx again!

A20A1
09-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Hmm normally you can angle the battery and reposition the tray... securing the tray with 1 or 2 bolts instead of the usual #. This should give you access to the hole.

You don't want to run a cone filter in the bumper since you would have to remove the stock air filter. When the stock air filter is removed then the carb is exposed to the PCV filter and the Unfiltered air when the pre-heater hose door is open.

Its best just use the ducting to bring cold air up to the stock filter. if you face the pipe forward and poke it out the hole in the bumper right below the turnsignal, then air will be rammed in.
water shouldn't be a problem unless it floods.

original2k
09-11-2002, 01:16 PM
i think u lost me there man, lemme get this straight, u want me to remove the stock hose coming from the air filter to the side hole under my fuse box, and replace that with a new hose that goes down to the hole left of my battery, but u want me to keep the stock air filter? i don't understand, if i'm not using the stock hose then why keep the stock filter? u say i'll be letting in unfiltered air to the carb? from where? i'm assuming that u want me to run the hose from the filter through that hole right? maybe i'm not understanding what your saying, or maybe i don't have a full understanding of my intake system.

tightwhitelx
09-11-2002, 04:22 PM
i just need some damn help on the weber carb a20 i already know your the man when it comes to carbs so let me know what i need to produce some ok hp with a weber carb like jet kits? i dont know what that is i have looked through the thread for the carb guys but i am still kinda clueless so if you could help i would appreciate it.

A20A1
09-11-2002, 04:54 PM
If you want a list of jet sizes check my web site.
http://www.geocities.com/accord89lx/index.html

I listed the jets for the stock car with a weber and I listed my jets for my modified car.
Air-control jet is also called air-correction jet.

staticpat
09-11-2002, 07:05 PM
man just chuck your airbox, its ineffiecient

original2k
09-12-2002, 05:50 PM
hey how did u guys make your adaptor? also, A20A1, where do i get that hose from? can i get it from Lowe's? also, is there an exact name for this thing? first u said it was a saw dust collector then u said it was an air ducting hose, hook me up foo! lol thx man.

A20A1
09-12-2002, 08:49 PM
urr well ot's for saw dust... I got mine at lowes... it was in the vacuum section where all the Shop Vacs and filter were.... but your lowes may be organized differently.

87AccordsterLx
09-12-2002, 09:22 PM
what he was saying about the stock filter was that you have to place the filter that you want to use before the spot in which the unfiltered air from the pre-heater hose enters the tubing used for the intake... if you look at the tubing in its stock setup you'll see a hose entering the intake tubing... that is the pre-heater hose used to warm up the carb... that hose isnt filtered and if you put the air filter at the end of the tubing then it will expose the pre-heater to the carb... my sugestion is that you open the carb filter lid and take out that black piece of plastic thats restricting the flow of air to the carb right as it enters the filter area coming from the tubing.... ( when facing the car - its on your bottom left inside the lid) do that and put in a K&N filter... then do as Mike is saying... route the tubing to under the car somewhere... under the batt or whatever... that way you'll get the forced air type setup... good luck man....

A20A1
09-12-2002, 10:19 PM
OK OK OK!

I just stuck some pics of my old intakes... One of them uses the DELTA - Dust Hose to get cold air from the bumper.
Web Site
http://www.geocities.com/accord89lx/index.html
Actual Pic
http://www.geocities.com/accord89lx/images/io4002.jpg

I added 5 pics of various intakes underneath the already visable pics...

original2k
09-13-2002, 04:16 AM
see man that's what i was talkin about in the first place! hookin up the hose to the carb itself, said i couldn't do it but u have 2 different intakes with that exact setup!!!! lol your funny, anyways is it better to use an adaptor or is it ok just doin that? also 87accordsterlx, this foo A20A1 told me that if i did it that way i'd just be using 2 filters thus restricting even more air, he's the carb demi-god, i can't argue with him! by the way, what did u do with your pre heater A20A1?

staticpat
09-13-2002, 07:18 AM
shoot a20, how many intakes have you made! and how much better is the ram air working than the others??

A20A1
09-13-2002, 02:15 PM
You remove the pre heater.
and plug the vacuum line that goes the the diaphragm that opens the pre-heater door.

Stcking the flexable hose directly to the carb isn't good... the thing gets squashed and falls off since it's not clamped down... I felt It was better off not having an intake then doing it that way.

You really should consider making an adapter... or you could always take the stock air box and bend the metal till it forms something that resembles a carb adapter...

A20A1
09-13-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by staticpat
shoot a20, how many intakes have you made! and how much better is the ram air working than the others??

:p I still don't have pics of my Eddlebrock PRO-FLOW adapted to my carb. It was kinda tall and poked thru the hood... that was my main reason for the development of my hood scoop.

Dutchboy
09-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Im going to modify the intake of a civic....my friends got a 89civic lx and with a little modifying the intake will fit ,,, otherwise i was going to use a intake from a 4.0l jeep....
After i hunt one down at the wreckers and get money for the cone filter im set..

Ben,..

original2k
09-13-2002, 09:48 PM
ahh man i'm just not handy with welding and stuff, how much would one of u charge me to make one for me? the adaptor is the only thing holding up my project!!!

A20A1
09-14-2002, 11:43 AM
I would love to make adapters... it was my paln from a long time ago... but I still haven't bothered to track down a new wire feed cable for my electric welder...
I even have most of the materials waiting to go....

original2k
09-14-2002, 03:25 PM
look all i'm asking for is a price not the details! u were about the details, i send u the money, u send me the fonking adapter badabing badaboom, happily ever after yada yada ok? make it happen! i got the cash! name your price!

original2k
09-16-2002, 04:27 AM
oh i c when some1 wants u to deliver u try to back out, A20A1 i want u to make me an adaptor!!!!! give me a price man! i'm not kidding, quote me a price and we can talk, that's the only thing holding me back!