PDA

View Full Version : A/C not working

my89LXihatch
06-18-2007, 08:43 AM
On Saturday I was driving My 89 LXi Hatch. When I turned on the A/C I got warm air. Not good down here in the south. The last time I drove it(my daughters car) Everything was working. I noticed while checking into it that all my indicator lights in the push button climate control panel were not working. It also looked like none of the functions worked when I depressed the buttons. When the A/C button was pushed all that happened was the aux. fan up in the engine came on. Is there a fuse that goes to this panel. And if so where is it, Because I can't find it. And also is this a comman problem that can be easly, or inexpesivly fixed. Thanks

Oldblueaccord
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
look for a 10 amp (blue) fuse in the fuse box under the dash driver side. That would casue no lighs on all your HVAC controls. Hope thats its. It is labled on the cover whats fuse is what.

wp

my89LXihatch
06-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks I will try that. And hope that's all it needs.

my89LXihatch
06-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Tried the fuses. Fuse #9 that goes to the defroster blows as soon as the ac button is depressed. Replacing the fuse caused the climate control panel to work so that's part of the problem. Has anyone had this problem. and can you tell me how to fix it. thanks

Mac
06-19-2007, 06:22 PM
It is probally one of two things. Either the wire from the compressor is shorting out (touching metal) or the compressor is bad. My compressor wire was pinched and it was doing the same thing.

Oldblueaccord
06-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Yep what Mac said try to isolate down what blows the fuse but it sounds like the compressor clutch is doing it.

wp

my89LXihatch
06-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will look into that. I am glad I found this site. Y'all have been a graet help.

88Accord-DX
06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
After you replace the fuses & make sure everything is copisthetic. The compressor might not kick in if the freon/R134 is low or has a leak in the system.

my89LXihatch
06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

my89LXihatch
06-22-2007, 06:48 AM
I replaces the fuse. And I'm thinking that it is the compressor clutch. It started to turn and the stopped and the fuse blew. But It looks like a bitch to even get to to repair it. And is worth replaceing just the clutch or should the whole compressor and clutch be replaced. I hope just the clutch, because the later would mean converting the system over to r34 and causing more expense.

LX-incredible
06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
You can replace the clutch separately. On Denso models, it will be easier to take out the PS pump and bracket, unbolt the compressor and remove its bracket. You will now be able to bring the compressor up, with the hoses still attached, so it is easy to work on. Remove the 10 mm center bolt and the inner clutch. The rest is just held on by snap rings. Remove the outer clutch, then the coil. It would be a good idea to first unplug the clutch and try running the AC, to make sure that your problem is with it. The shop quoted me like $550 to replace it, and they claimed that they would need to remove a crossmember. I wound up just getting a bearing, a couple of washers, and an electrical crimp for a grand total of $35.

my89LXihatch
06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks. I wil try it and see what happens.