PDA

View Full Version : dual side draft carbs from prelude

backhatcher
06-19-2007, 05:20 AM
will the whole intake setup from a prelude (looks like an 86 or87) bolt onto my 88 a20 or are there year differences?

2oodoor
06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
will the whole intake setup from a prelude (looks like an 86 or87) bolt onto my 88 a20 or are there year differences?
which motor in the prelude, there was more than one in those

backhatcher
06-19-2007, 06:02 AM
oh jeez. it looks the same different style valve cover, no specs, its deffinatley not dohc and the engine mounts are basically the same as the accord there are 2 of them at the jy both same setup and i seen the intakes and got horney, what ones Will work?

cygnus x-1
06-19-2007, 09:43 AM
NOOOOO! Stay away from those things! :eek:

Seriously, I had those carbs on my Prelude and they're nothing but trouble. They were probably pretty cool back in the day but after 20 years they develop all sorts of problems. They aren't tuneable because parts are nearly impossible to find. And besides, you would have to swap the head as well because the intake ports are different from any of the A20s.

C|

backhatcher
06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
haha, yea i figured the head was a bit different looking thanks for the advice

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2007, 06:46 PM
NOOOOO! Stay away from those things! :eek:
Seriously, I had those carbs on my Prelude and they're nothing but trouble. They were probably pretty cool back in the day but after 20 years they develop all sorts of problems. They aren't tuneable because parts are nearly impossible to find. And besides, you would have to swap the head as well because the intake ports are different from any of the A20s.
C|

They were shitty back in the day too. Probably the worst carbs honda has ever used on any car theyve made, just such a pain in the ass

2oodoor
06-20-2007, 03:36 AM
NOOOOO! And besides, you would have to swap the head as well because the intake ports are different from any of the A20s.
C|

Is that an 1800 head?

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2007, 08:17 AM
wasnt it B21A1?

cygnus x-1
06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Dual carb Preludes:
Up to 1987 (2nd gen) the dual carbs came on the 1.8L engine. In 1987 it was called the A18A1. Prior model years used the older ET/ET1/ET2 designators I believe.

In 1988 (3rd gen) the A18 was replaced with (I believe) the B21A1. And I think the dual carbs only lasted like a year or two in the 3rd gen Preludes.

C|

HondaBoy
06-20-2007, 10:22 AM
yeah, i had this same idea. everyone told me it was going to be a big waste of effort using the prelude manifold and carbs.

MessyHonda
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
might as well go fuel injection...LOL

88Accord-DX
06-20-2007, 06:50 PM
With dual carbs like on a bike, probably need some kind of syncronizing tool like this.

http://www.topshelfcycleparts.com/ebay/pics/synctool2.JPG

Ichiban
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I haven't really heard too many complaints about the dual carbed prelude setups other than on here. I know a few people that run them and they seem to run ok, BTW I have 2 complete dual carb intakes and carb setups, not sure why.

2ndGenGuy
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I haven't really heard too many complaints about the dual carbed prelude setups other than on here. I know a few people that run them and they seem to run ok, BTW I have 2 complete dual carb intakes and carb setups, not sure why.

Because you have one of the coolest junkyards for old Hondas in the entire world, that's why!

Also, if you have a CVCC dual-carb Prelude, it's actually got a third carb in the middle. I believe this is the ES1 engine.

backhatcher
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
but is performance much better than the regular accord setup or would i fair out better with something custom for my current carb

Ichiban
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I would be tempted to try the ET2 head/intake/carb combo on the A20 block. I've pondered doing this before, it should give a decent bump in compression and better flow, that's if you're into doing a head swap.

lostforawhile
06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
those carbs are absolute hell to work on. worst experment honda ever tried. they even had driveability problems brand new,honda issued a recall to fix them. they are also electronic, they have an ecu like the ones on the third gen carb. if you are going to go through that hassle,go fuel injection. those carbs are so complex you can't even see the carbs for the vaccume lines. think keihin hell X 10. you oought to look at the vaccume diagram. LOL.

Ichiban
06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
The Canadian ones don't seem so bad. They could totally use a vacuum simplification, for sure, and our dual carb preludes rip pretty good. No computer either, both have the idle mixture solenoid, but that is constantly on, it's just there to cut the idle circuit when you shut it off, to prevent dieseling and run on.

Edit: I was just thinking, what if one used the prelude head and intake, and two similarly sized bike or ATV carbs (or larger, in the case of the A20). It would be a cheap and easy dual carb setup, and Edelbrock makes some pretty killer 1bbl slide valve carbs now.

cygnus x-1
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
The Canadian ones don't seem so bad. They could totally use a vacuum simplification, for sure, and our dual carb preludes rip pretty good. No computer either, both have the idle mixture solenoid, but that is constantly on, it's just there to cut the idle circuit when you shut it off, to prevent dieseling and run on.

Edit: I was just thinking, what if one used the prelude head and intake, and two similarly sized bike or ATV carbs (or larger, in the case of the A20). It would be a cheap and easy dual carb setup, and Edelbrock makes some pretty killer 1bbl slide valve carbs now.

The Canadian versions are likely much simpler than the US versions. You could certainly use the head/manifold and put some bike carbs on there. Would be a cool project I think.

Here is a fun game. Find the carbs:
http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Engine-build/EngineBay.jpg

C|

Ichiban
06-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Here is a fun game. Find the carbs:
http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Engine-build/EngineBay.jpg

C|

Oh gross.

I always thought the square air filter looked stupid.

2ndGenGuy
06-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, that's the CVCC dual carb setup isn't it? The single carb is probably as bad, you just can't see it since it's all tucked under the air cleaner... I think it gets a little better when they get rid of CVCC, since there isn't a 3rd mini-carb.