PDA

View Full Version : How to replace door handle?

Strahan
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Is replacing the door handle a big chore? Just got a hatch and the driver's door handle is missing:

http://www.nischan.com/pics/images/vehicles/1987%20Honda%20Accord%20LXi%20(2007)/DSC00839.JPG

Small issue, major PITA hehe.

DBMaster
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
If you remove the interior door panel you will see and be able to access the bolts that hold the door handle to the door skin. All you have to do is detach the actuating rod for the door latch and remove the bolts. I noticed that removing your lock cylinder to install it in your new handle might be a bit of trouble. It's not too bad of a job, really.

BITESIZE
06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
^^It's a pain in the ass really! Be ready to drink some beer afterward and swear alot!

Strahan
06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Hmm. Well, guess I'll tackle it later. Gonna rain soon anyway hehe. I friggin hate having to lean in from the passenger side to open my door. I'm not sweating the lock cylinders, I'll try to transplant but if it's a hassle I'll just use two keys since I have a keyless entry box I can install. Hmm.. actually, just realized I dunno if the locks are power. Well, I guess I can always retrofit that too.

Thanks!

MessyHonda
06-19-2007, 11:45 PM
my pasanger side broke.....i took off the door panel like 3 weeks ago....i cant get that sucker off...my uncle told me he could do it in 10 mins. since he works at a body shop.....and yeah....it sucks big ones.

DBMaster
06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Mine was screwed up about six years ago when some rectal lip pried a hole in the door trying to break into the car. I did not think it was hard to remove at all. The actuator rod was bent and I had to straighten it so the handle would actually open the door again.

Strahan
06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
rectal lip
:lol:

Never heard that one, that's great. Made me :rofl: when my girlfriend was like "uhh... what the hell does that mean?" hehe.

HostileJava
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Hmm. Well, guess I'll tackle it later. Gonna rain soon anyway hehe. I friggin hate having to lean in from the passenger side to open my door. I'm not sweating the lock cylinders, I'll try to transplant but if it's a hassle I'll just use two keys since I have a keyless entry box I can install. Hmm.. actually, just realized I dunno if the locks are power. Well, I guess I can always retrofit that too.

Thanks!

Only 4 doors had power locks stock.

mushroom_toy
06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Like other have said I though replacing a door handle was a bitch. It is definitely worth it to switch the barrel lock mechanism while youre at it though, just careful or the lock pins inside the barrel will fall out if you turn it the wrong way.

DBMaster
06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I made it up when I was about 20. I also made up "dick-ass brain hole" about that time, too. I didn't smoke weed back then, I swear.

Strahan
06-23-2007, 08:09 AM
I took the doorpanel off today and had a look. Came apart pretty easily. My only problem was getting the door handle arm to come off of the rod that goes to the latch mechanism. There was a hard plastic piece keeping it on. I should've taken a pic before hand, but my solution was to dremel the sucker off hehe, so now I have nothing to photograph. I attempted to draw what I'm referring to:

http://www.nischan.com/crap/door_handle_assy.jpg

What is the proper way to remove that plastic piece? I tried squeezing it and pushing it through the metal part but it wouldn't compress enough. It was rather aggravating, ergo the dremel solution hehe.

Yea, I know my drawing skills suck :)

LX-incredible
06-23-2007, 08:13 AM
You leave the piece on and rotate the whole handle off and on the rod. Don't take the piece off the new one, it will break. Honda no longer sells that plastic piece alone, they make you get the whole handle. Nice sketch btw.

Strahan
06-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh. Oops, heh. I thought of that, but I couldn't seem to rotate the assy because the main handle part would impact the door and prevent further turning. I guess I should've yanked the rod harder to try to get more clearance. Ah well. Thanks!

LX-incredible
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't remember having to pull on it too much, but I do remember having to pivot the handle body back and forth while rotating.

BITESIZE
06-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm going to have to do this when I respray the car. :(

Strahan
06-30-2007, 07:18 AM
I went to the junkyard this week and found a sedan and pulled the door handle. Turns out though the assembly was a little different:

http://www.nischan.com/crap/doorassy.jpg

Instead of a long latch rod being connected to the handle via a small rotating piece, the rod is half as long and has a connecting nut that connects to a short rod that connects to the door handle. I'm hoping if I dremel off the end off of the pin that goes through the handle piece then put the removable rotating piece in there instead I can use it. Dunno.

Now I wonder if the style I have stock is limited to coupes, or limited to hatchbacks, or limited to the year (87). -shrug-

LX-incredible
06-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Coupes and hatches.

Tomisimo
06-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Just find you new door handle and replace key inserts... that would be easiest way...

MessyHonda
07-01-2007, 10:57 PM
i just fixed my door handle...what a bitch......also the lil clip is impossible to take out....i just sanded it down and put it in and put some glue in the end...hope it does not fail.

Hazwan
07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
The same clip is used on my 1gee. Yes, its such a pain to take it off. I don't even know how am I going to put it back :nervous: