PDA

View Full Version : tie rod end problem

newaccorddriver
06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
well, i just bought 2 new tie rod ends for my car yesterday. i had a look at them today, and they seem to be very different. on one of them, there is a grease nipple on it, while the other one, there isnt. ive seen it both ways, so i dont really care as long as their both greased. heres the main concern im having. one of them has a castle nut with a cotter pin on it(the one with the grease nipple), while the other one doesnt. is it still safe to use the tie rod end without the cotter pin or castle nut as it only has a regular nut and no hole for the cotter pin?

2oodoor
06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
well, i just bought 2 new tie rod ends for my car yesterday. i had a look at them today, and they seem to be very different. on one of them, there is a grease nipple on it, while the other one, there isnt. ive seen it both ways, so i dont really care as long as their both greased. heres the main concern im having. one of them has a castle nut with a cotter pin on it(the one with the grease nipple), while the other one doesnt. is it still safe to use the tie rod end without the cotter pin or castle nut as it only has a regular nut and no hole for the cotter pin?
should not be just a plain nut, should be a compression nut. If I were you I would take them both back and get them somewhere else.
Be sure to check inner tie rod play too.

russiankid
06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
should not be just a plain nut, should be a compression nut. If I were you I would take them both back and get them somewhere else.
Be sure to check inner tie rod play too.
I agree take them back. Get ones that use the cotter pin. I have the Moog ones and don't have a problem besides the dust boots:rant: