PDA

View Full Version : Temperature doesn't stay down and then won't start

A-bomb
09-11-2002, 03:26 PM
I have an 88 ex-i and after running for awhile the temperature keeps rising and it starts running rough. Once the temperature gauge is really hot, the car won't start until the temperature goes back down. Oh, and sometimes the engine light comes on.
Any ideas?
I'll check the coolant level tomorrow. I don't think the fan is coming on either so the temperature sensor must be bad.

A20A1
09-11-2002, 04:22 PM
yeah you'll have to replace the temp sensor if you find out thats the problem... better to it quick.

Anyways you can bypass the themal switch by taking the 2 wires from the sensor and connecting them to eachother without the sensor. If the fan still doesn't come on when the car is on then you'll have to check the fan and the fuse to the fan... also check the thermostat.

smufguy
09-11-2002, 05:57 PM
dude, check the codes ur ecu is throwing. Sounds like ur sensor is fucked up.

rocky2
09-11-2002, 06:16 PM
YOU MUST FEEL RADIATOR HOSES TOP & BOTTOM AFTER A RUN!!!!!!!!!
3-gs can run with a bad thermostat with out water being cooled in radiater.
Alot of 4-bangers are setup this way,you'll get heat though heater core.
Plus cooling fan won't come on because coolent isn't flowing though radiator.

shepherd79
09-11-2002, 06:27 PM
it sounds like your thermostat locked at closed position. try replacing it first. it is only a few dollars.
after that check ECU for anycodes.
oh yeah, if your fans don't come on, you radiator is probably cold which means your thermostat is shut closed. the fans won't kick in unless the sensor gets hot, and it can't get hot because there is no coolant flow through the radiator.

A-bomb
09-12-2002, 05:31 AM
I thought the temp sensor was in the back of the block though.
When my parents 88 exi's termostate failed it stayed open, and you couldn't get heat from the heater core.
But like you said its only a couple bucks, so I'll replace it.

It does sound like its stuck in the closed postion, cause on my b16a crx the temp sensor is gone so the fan never comes on but it never gets above normal operating temperature.

A-bomb
09-12-2002, 09:30 AM
I got a code 6 Engine coolant temperature sensor and the bottom rad hose stayed cold but the top one got warm.
So would the ECT make the thermostat not open?
Where is the ECT located on the engine?

anchovies
09-12-2002, 12:37 PM

anchovies
09-12-2002, 12:38 PM
The ECT controls the fan (auxiliary fan). It's located on the thermostate housing. On it you'll see 2 sensors (TW and ECT). The ECT is further from the engine (green socket???..sorry I don't have my car here. Someone confirm this).
You should change your thermostate and gasket the now. And the ECT sensor also.

rocky2
09-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Change thermostat 1st, then when finshed ,idle engine till fans come on and both hoses are hot. If fans don't come on after temp gauge pegs, shut down..then check out why.

88' Accord Ltd
09-12-2002, 02:36 PM
Change the thermostat, I had a problem like that with my car but it wouldnt get so bad that it would overheat and not start. You can check to see if its the thermostat there is a hose that comes off near the bottom of the engine there back to the rad squeeze it while the car has been on for a while, if its hard then you have coolant flowing thru the engine and the thermostat is ok because it is opening if it is soft then change the thermostat. That was my problem. Sorry i couldnt give u a detailed description of the hoses location. I dont have any pics or anything and i dont know its PROPER name so i cant help ya there.

A-bomb
09-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Well I took the car out for longer and both hoses were hot and the temperature didn't rise above normal temp. But I'm still getting the ECT code.
So I changed my plugs, previous owner had champions in it, then I checked for spark and there was none. So something is starting to fail, maybe the ignitor. I tried a new coil and that didn't help. I also put a new cap and rotor on and it still won't start usually.
Can the ECT have anything to do with not getting any spark?
Is there anything else that would prevent it from getting spark?