PDA

View Full Version : roof mount lcd

buttaz1
06-24-2007, 10:09 AM
i was wondering how would some one go about mounting a tv on our headliner?
like if some one wanted to do a 20 in tv install in there roof
i have looked at the flip down but it makes me think of a soccer mom van

i have searched and searched but i dont know the key words that would bring up what i am looking for.
i think i would need mdf wood and fit it into the roof then drill from the outside in and shave off the screw and sand the head down and bondo the drill points

so if some one can point me in the right direction please do thanks

3rdgenhatchDX
06-24-2007, 10:39 AM
sounds like a challenge good luck i'd like to see someone finish something like this, i was watching trick it out or something on mtv2 and they had an 06 or 7 civic with a screen in the headliner did you see this too?

buttaz1
06-24-2007, 10:47 AM
yea but
i had this idea before the show
but the show helped me out a lil with the mounting
and to be honest once im done paying my bills i will buy a 20 - 30 inch screen
i just have to find one that will run off of 12 volt so i dont have to runn another inverter
lets see how it gooes i just need to be pointed int he right direction you know?

3rdgenhatchDX
06-24-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.co.beaufort.sc.us/bftlib/Pointing%20hand%20R.gifhttp://www.skillsusa-register.org/images/BestBuy.gif

Go ask the guys see what they say...

buttaz1
06-24-2007, 01:20 PM
true
ventailation is my next endevor
hehe this is getting kinda fun
(looks at wallet) never mind im broke

labeledsk8r
06-24-2007, 02:48 PM
well i know the flip downs work becuse my budy has a flip down on his headliner in his se-i so im sure its posible

buttaz1
06-24-2007, 06:07 PM
i know they work but i dont like the flip down ones
i still have to figure out what to do
mayber tommerow ill take my headliner off to see what clearence i have and all that good stuff

3rdgenhatchDX
06-24-2007, 07:30 PM
i know they work but i dont like the flip down ones
i still have to figure out what to do
mayber tommerow ill take my headliner off to see what clearence i have and all that good stuff

before you take it off just push up on it with your finger theres not any clearance but your headroom might be an issure if you've got a 3" thick screen

buttaz1
06-25-2007, 02:40 AM
yea
i checked it out last night and it nothing like a coup so i figured if i swapped a headliner from a lxi and put the tve where the hole is ill be able to confortably look at the tv (25-30in) also unless i can find a computer monitor ill have to get an inverter and also gut the hell out of the tv because obviously i wont need the speakerrs and shit i basically wanna just have the monitor.
now for the cooling part i still havent put much thought into it
any ideas?

HostileJava
06-25-2007, 03:54 AM
So you actually want to mount an LCD flush with the headliner? I guess that eliminates the flip down look, but wouldn't that be kinda hard to watch? I guess what I'm asking is it it supposed to be functional or just something for show? I'd hate to have to lean all the way back and bend my neck to watch something for any significant length of time, such as a long road trip. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post? Are you talking about mounting a CRT set to your roof?

Civic Accord Honda
06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
nah i would think u would just lay the seats down and look up

HostileJava
06-25-2007, 09:54 AM
nah i would think u would just lay the seats down and look up

That's great! What are the rear passengers supposed to do?

2oodoor
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Haven't you ever heard of people putting mirrors above the bed?

that is going to be like neons inside the car lighting up the people inside, hrmm blue man

hey I ran across a forum board, DIY car audio or something like that, they were use stripped LCD monitors for this in some applications.

buttaz1
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
i have a flip out for the front so if i do add the tv up there its gana be for like if im watch a movie alone or if im playing my ps2 or somethign like that
i dont think ill add any more monitors in the car since its small enough that you can just see the tv with out any problems
and yes i wanna do it flush mounted in the head liner and
if you lay back the seats it kinda sucks to watch right above your head
now if i put the tv where a sun roof should be then its easier to see the whole tv.
and then lol this is kinda stupid but i thought id add a camera to point straight up so it makes for a ghetto moon roof

buttaz1
06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
oh yay!!!
i just threw a ps2 in my car so im most deff putting in a tv
only thing is i wasnt aware of the massive power a 26-3 0 inch tv would take so i will have to post pone this further till i buy a computer monitor flat panel that uses 12 volt
i was told by a techy radio shack that i would need a 2 alts and two batterys and as u can see i am not putting in another alt i dont there is enough room for another alt
but ethier way even if i am settling for just a baby 21 inch i wanna be the first to do something like this
so ummm guys please dont do it before me lol
buttaz

MessyHonda
06-26-2007, 10:08 PM
well they have like 135amp alternator on ebay...but im not sure if its not for carb or fuel injected.

buttaz1
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
well you can just swap the wire and and make it work there is a how to some where but i just paid 80 bucks for my alt with a lifetime on it so i donno if i wanna go through that hell again you know?
i do wonder if two alts would be hard to fab up?

labeledsk8r
06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
well if you dont have a/c you might be able to fab a alt in place of the compressor?? only posible place i could think off, plus a major engine power suck. check out the high output or a legend alty, and run 2 batts to keep the car stable, good luck

buttaz1
06-27-2007, 03:06 AM
naw i need my ac i ll add a belt on of these days to see if it works
of not illmake a trip to the jy .
i was thinking of just hookking up a series of car batterys or use the batterys from a ups sys since there alot smaller