PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor smoking?!

frantik
06-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Today my car suddenly started to stall as I approached a stop sign.. i was like :wtf: and gave it more gas and push in the clutch, but eventually it still stalled. I restarted it and i was able to go a lil bit but it still wanted to stall, and smoke started coming from the engine

i pull over and pop the hood and theres a bunch of smoke coming from the A/C compressor. I checked inside the car and I guess I had the a/c turned on, though it doesn't blow cold so i didn't notice. It used to blow cold last summer so i assume it's got a leak. I turn off the a/c and start her up after a minute or so.. no problems and no more smoke.

I get home and try the a/c again.. i didnt leave it running long but it didnt stall the car or cause any smoke so i :dunno: wtf is up.. at first i assumed the compressor seized or something and was even contemplating having to cut the a/c belt but i wasnt so sure that was a good idea lol. Is it likely my a/c compressor is shot? that kinda sucks cause i was hoping to refill it but oh well if it is i'll get some weight reduction going on lol

it's this part that has smoke coming from near it:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9154/problemsm6.jpg
im 99% sure is the a/c compressor lol

forrest89sei
06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Today my car suddenly started to stall as I approached a stop sign.. i was like :wtf: and gave it more gas and push in the clutch, but eventually it still stalled. I restarted it and i was able to go a lil bit but it still wanted to stall, and smoke started coming from the engine

i pull over and pop the hood and theres a bunch of smoke coming from the A/C compressor. I checked inside the car and I guess I had the a/c turned on, though it doesn't blow cold so i didn't notice. It used to blow cold last summer so i assume it's got a leak. I turn off the a/c and start her up after a minute or so.. no problems and no more smoke.

I get home and try the a/c again.. i didnt leave it running long but it didnt stall the car or cause any smoke so i :dunno: wtf is up.. at first i assumed the compressor seized or something and was even contemplating having to cut the a/c belt but i wasnt so sure that was a good idea lol. Is it likely my a/c compressor is shot? that kinda sucks cause i was hoping to refill it but oh well if it is i'll get some weight reduction going on lol

it's this part that has smoke coming from near it:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9154/problemsm6.jpg
im 99% sure is the a/c compressor lol

thats The power steering pump

frantik
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
hmm well it was coming from that area but not specifically out of that part.. but glad i didnt cut the belt then LOL

Pico
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
check the condition of the a/c or p/s belt to see if either one has siezed up, causing the belt to burn up

AccordB20A
06-25-2007, 03:56 PM
if your ac sytem is discharged and the compressor turned on then it will be the ac compressor getting too hot/worn.... since the ac gas is also a lubricant for it so if theres no gas theres no lube and yeah friction makes smoke, thats my theory anyway. i dont see how a power steerr pump could make smoke unless it jammed and the belt was doing a skid on its pulley lol

LX-incredible
06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Sounds like the compressor seized. See if you can rotate the center part by hand.

frantik
06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
if your ac sytem is discharged and the compressor turned on then it will be the ac compressor getting too hot/worn.... since the ac gas is also a lubricant for it so if theres no gas theres no lube and yeah friction makes smoke, thats my theory anyway. i dont see how a power steerr pump could make smoke unless it jammed and the belt was doing a skid on its pulley lol
i think this is prolly whats up. maybe the compressor siezed temporarily and once it cooled it was able to turn again?

dlr1989
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
If your compressor siezed and in the process of destroying itself caused a refrigerant leak you may have lost enough pressure that the low limit switch will not let the compressor clutch engage.

i think this is prolly whats up. maybe the compressor siezed temporarily and once it cooled it was able to turn again?

Oldblueaccord
06-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Might want to put your oil cap back on too. :huh:

wp