PDA

View Full Version : got the timing but lost the spark.

DDRaptor
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
great yes i got the timing adjusted sit down turn key, the famailiar seat belt beeps crank crank pooop poopp great ok almost turned over check the belt again. put the remote starter back on , check plug one ok spark, check the coil sparks. now no sparks anywhere and im baffaled.

any help is greatly appreciated.

^^Physcho Babble

Here's the story, I had the t belt put on a little while ago, car was working slower than ever drank too much gas and whatnot
I was fed up with 20mpg so i decide to do it all i said he all i have to do is move the belt a tooth forward and retighten no big deal right. yeah bad idea. So i did it the first day for some reason i fudged up i got it one behind where it was before it ran but it ran terrible. so then i parked and tried to advance i move the belt forward and (yes i had the dizzy open so i can see the rotor position to make sure i was on the right stroke) so i put a tooth up close everything up, Cranks and no start and i'm like shit what did f(*& up this time. so here i am i have timing light with degree advance no point since it does'nt run. I finally figured out that BTDC means BEFORE top dead center.

so i guess i'm going to have to try to set the timing the hard way finger on the plug hole and fell for compression i hope but thats the only thing i got right now.

synikil
06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
So you adjusted the timing? The car runs fine while you adjust the timing? Then it won't start? Or did you put a new belt on?

DDRaptor
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
sorry as usaul that was from my phone. I adjusted my timing up 1 tooth from where it was cause i was consuming way too much gas after they put the belt on. but then after i got it on I don't see much spark and.

DDRaptor
06-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm getting spark now but it's still not starting so i'm hopeing i did'nt fubar the timing by moving 1 tooth up cause 1 tooth back it ran even worse. gah. I'm going to have some money tommorow i'm gonna see if i can get a hold of a ignition control module and pop it on the dizzy see if that does the trick.

2oodoor
06-26-2007, 11:36 AM
did you disconnect something while you were testing before hand?
did you ever move the dizzy before when you were trying to get it to run good?
Check youre coil wire secondary on both ends for corrosion or breakage.

DDRaptor
06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
coil wire secondary???. i'm a little lost on that on if it's the wires coming from the dizzy to the coil the blue 1 and black/yellow wire i checked those those 2 are ok, the other black/yellow and blue wires i can't trace.

edit. i got a timing light woot too bad it does'nt run lol.

does anyone know if your supposed to have 12volts on the negative side of the coil when you put the ignition switch on??

I have 12 volts on both sides and i still have spark so i'm guessing that's ok.

erm. how do i use a timing light on a car that's does'nt run??? I know that sounds really stupid but i'm just trying to understand what's going on, and how to do this myself cause i was tired of 20mpg and no power.

Oldblueaccord
06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
If you put a timing light on it it should flash when you crank on it showing spark.

As far as it not fireing maybe you foul your spark plugs now. Might pull them and see how bad they look and see if you have compresion. I would look for wires that are unpluged you were under there a while and something may just be hanging loose.

wp

DDRaptor
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
the light pulses are barely visible cause the battery is almost out of juice.

steveko
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Try putting the belt back where it was too begin with.Then check the timing and advance it at the distributor afterwards.

DDRaptor
06-26-2007, 06:21 PM
here's the thing where it was the dizzy does'nt advance at all you move it and nothing happens.

When i began to adjust it, i set the cam to UP mark but i think this is (where the mistake happened) i did'nt have the dizzy off to know if it's the TDC on the right stroke. damn i fucked up bad.

88Accord-DX
06-26-2007, 08:08 PM
If I think what happened did, when you turned the crankshaft with the belt off the cam & it binded. (timing belt thread) That's the piston hitting the valve, hopefully you didn't crank down on it, or you got some serious issues now.