PDA

View Full Version : HID conversion

Blaaz
06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I am looking in converting to HID headlights. I already have Hella H4 headlight housings. Question - any suggestions on where to mount the ballasts?

Cheeseburger
06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
on the passenger side i put it next to the battery and on the drive side i put it next to the power steering fluid.

Blaaz
07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks. What color (temperature) did you get? Any problems with glare? People highbeam you a lot?

Strahan
07-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Are you just sticking H4 HID into the sealed beam conversion lenses? They won't have cutoffs, so yea you'll be nuking everyone that comes at you heh. I thought about doing HID in the 3G as well, but I was planning on getting projectors designed for HID with the right cutoff and all and making a mount system using the original sealed beam mount points. Problem is tracking down all the stuff I'd need, seems like it may be more of a PITA than it's worth.

Blaaz
07-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I think it depends on the HID replacement bulb (presence of cutoff).

I noticed that I blew out a bulb. Currently, running hotter bulbs. IPF 70/90W Super Low Beams. They put out a lot more light than the stock H4 bulbs. Upgraded the wiring harness as well. Didn't want to risk melting the stock harness since the IPF bulbs seemed to generate a lot of heat. Still, weighing the advantages/disadvantages of converting to HID.

Cheeseburger - want to weigh in on the cutoff problem?

mykwikcoupe
07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
even thugh the ballast say they cant get wet mount them in the fenders. It allows alot better engine bay. Make sure to buy a dual beam filament with a cutoff. these should come on a quality kit. As for color what do you want, show, shine or function. To me perfect is a 6 kelvin bulb. its a super white almost a blue. The higher the kelvin the more purple is will become. Most high end cars use a 5 kelvin bulb but good luck with that. The 10-12 kelvin range are totally worthless for really dark (no street light) driving but look cool because they have that blackish/purple color. Make sure you get they froma company with history. do a search on a guys name 3rdgenlxi he had them on his car for a while

Blaaz
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
The kit I am looking at has dual beams. Halogen high beam, so only one set of ballasts. I will probably try to get a 4800-5000 kelvin bulb. I need to make sure they have a cutoff for the low beams. I already have a good contact locally.

The other thread about new lights - his lights (Hella) look just like mine. Even have similar crack on turn signal and bumper cover scrape.