PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Gas Jug v. Steel

bushbean
06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know why on my plastic gasoline jug for my lawnmower, it says it's not for use with on-road motor vehicles? Why do you have to use steel jugs when refilling automobiles?

labeledsk8r
06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
there are plastic jjgs that can be used on auto's but if i remember right the smaller jugs that say not for auto use do not have a very good vent so it can slop easyer causing spillige but im not sure if thats the real thing just what i was told

russiankid
06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know why on my plastic gasoline jug for my lawnmower, it says it's not for use with on-road motor vehicles? Why do you have to use steel jugs when refilling automobiles?
I would assume that plastic gets hard and cracks after years of service, and that cars get more damage to the tank like rocks so the plastic could just break.

LX-incredible
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I read that the plastic ones can build up static electricity, but I've never had a problem.

AccordEpicenter
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
plastic ones build up static so you must always refuel with the gas can on the concrete (you should with any gascan, ive seen videos of them explode) it seems the drop in plastic bedliners on pickups create nasty static also. I believe that they say plastic gas cans are for off road vehicles because they are not OSHA and DOT approved. Thats why youll never see them on a real construction site.

skycam_313
06-26-2007, 08:25 PM
/\ OOOOOoooooooo.......

MessyHonda
06-27-2007, 09:16 AM
yeah you always fill the gas container when its on the ground.

2oodoor
06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
yeah you always fill the gas container when its on the ground.
dam I really never paid attention to tha......BOOM

bushbean
06-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Plastic is bad for the environment, too.

'A20A3'
06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
everything is bad for the environment

bushbean
06-27-2007, 06:20 PM
As I was watching a guy smoke his cigarette in front of the gas station, about ten yards away from the pump, I wonder if letting people pump their own gas is really bad idea.

AccordEpicenter
06-27-2007, 10:05 PM
As I was watching a guy smoke his cigarette in front of the gas station, about ten yards away from the pump, I wonder if letting people pump their own gas is really bad idea.

The state of new jersey agrees with you, its illegal to pump your own gas

lostforawhile
06-27-2007, 10:34 PM
for a pretty reasonable price,you can get a metal osha approved can from most industrial supply houses. a good can like this, automatically closes when you let off the handle, has a flash screen,and is steel so it can be grounded. if the goverment would actually pass a useful law, instead of useless ones,they would ban all plastic cans. also require pumps have a ground clip and wire for metal gas cans,like on aviation gas pumps. that would stop almost all gas can fires,except those caused by idiots. on this subject,those fires caused by people leting the gas pump itself,then coming back and causing a spark,there is an easy solution, take the idiot clips off the handles. if you are pumping gas,you are required to stand there and pump the gas,not let the gas pump itself!! this is a free solution and would fix that problem immedietly. but you know how that works,don't want to inconvience the consumer. so a few people get charbroiled because they are idiots.

2oodoor
06-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I stopped using the auto fill on the nozzle handle when gas went over 2.95gall, :rockon: .

MessyHonda
06-28-2007, 08:24 AM
I stopped using the auto fill on the nozzle handle when gas went over 2.95gall, :rockon: .

it was close to 3.40 out here. but last time i went it was like 3.23

'A20A3'
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
damn gas is fucking expensive over there, premium over here is like $3 a gallon. won't be long before you guys are paying $4 a gallon. :violin:

AccordEpicenter
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
for a pretty reasonable price,you can get a metal osha approved can from most industrial supply houses. a good can like this, automatically closes when you let off the handle, has a flash screen,and is steel so it can be grounded. if the goverment would actually pass a useful law, instead of useless ones,they would ban all plastic cans. also require pumps have a ground clip and wire for metal gas cans,like on aviation gas pumps. that would stop almost all gas can fires,except those caused by idiots. on this subject,those fires caused by people leting the gas pump itself,then coming back and causing a spark,there is an easy solution, take the idiot clips off the handles. if you are pumping gas,you are required to stand there and pump the gas,not let the gas pump itself!! this is a free solution and would fix that problem immedietly. but you know how that works,don't want to inconvience the consumer. so a few people get charbroiled because they are idiots.

Now this is what im talking about. A ground clip is the next step up from just putting the can on the ground. Metal cans arent all that expensive really... Ive heard of people getting smoked by fucking aorund with their cell phones while filling but i havent seen it

lostforawhile
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
another eason to ban plastic gas cans,a properly designed metal can that self closes,will put out a fire on it's own,a plastic can just immedietly melts dumping all the gas into the fire.

bushbean
06-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow! This is really good info. I guess I could have been one of those "idiots" had I not asked.

So, do you guys use metal cans for your lawn mower?

AccordEpicenter
06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
i have a 2gal metal can and a small maybe 1gal plastic can for the leafblower (its 50:1 mixed gas)

lostforawhile
06-29-2007, 12:53 PM
here is what i'm talking about,you can find these a little cheaper then this,but this is the safest way to carry gas. let off the handle,it becomes airtight.
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/89-554-gas-cans/safety-gas-can-151308.aspx

AccordEpicenter
06-29-2007, 10:24 PM
yeah ive personally used that exact can before. Works pretty good, high quality too