PDA

View Full Version : Testing Waters: $190 Unorthodox Crank Pulley Group Buy, thoughts?

bobafett
06-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I have spoken with Joe at Unorthodox and he told me that for around $180-$190 (rough estimate without seeing our pulleys) they would make us pulleys. Their minimum run would be about 30 units, and time frame would be about 2 months after we send them the parts/money - but of course if they are busy then we cannot expect them this soon...

Now the obvious question is whether or not their are 30 members willing to fork out the cash for this mod, and the even more difficult problem of what type of pulleys get made.

So for now I just want to see who would even be on board for such a group buy effort? At this point I am personally leaning towards getting my stock pulley modded by a machine shop, but if there is enough response for this I would help buy a Unorthodox gear to help get the group buy going.

What do you all think?

bobafett
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
For the record I want a UNDER DRIVEN SINGLE BELT CONVERSION. This means no AC, no PS - just an underdriven water pump and underdriven alternator. :)

Blizzard
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Were talking about aluminum pulleys right? If so, Im in.

Underdrivin single belt would be the way Id like to go, anything lighter than the stock one would be nice though.

LX-incredible
06-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll get a set of OEM belt configuration, if we go that route. AC is pretty necesary here and PS is always nice.

2drSE-i
06-27-2007, 12:32 PM
ya i gotta have the PS personally, but the only reason i would be doing this is so everyone else could have one.

race12001
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
yea i would want one with ac and ps too

guaynabo89
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
just to help bobafett out heres how nice an alum underdrive pulley looks!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p6df4cb689927a3ade2f096658b086649/ef54fb37.jpg

mine is slightly underdriven with all belts for accesories

bobafett hit me up on aim

bobafett
06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm at work now, but in 2-3 hours I'll be at home. :)

Speed Racer
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
im in

ZackieDarko
06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
im down

i'll take w/e is most popular

AccordEpicenter
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
so no harmonic balancer?

bobafett
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure that ours have any harmonic balancers. I guess I don't honestly know what I am looking for, but the pulley on my engine now is plain old boring metal pulley.

I know mine looks nothing like these:
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&q=harmonic%20balancer

This indicates the construction of a harmonic balancer somewhat, and mine doesn't have any of the properties he describes.
http://www.autopartscorner.com/harmonic_balancer/honda_harmonic_balancer.html

I dunno, but I always assumed we never had a harmonic balancer. :) as long the the CP is balanced I would assume we are good to go!

bobafett
06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone/balancer_tdc_mark.jpg

this shows a 2 piece crank pulley, the inner piece would probably contain the dampened pulley, with the outer pulley being bolted on separately.

Opinions?

ghettogeddy
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
im sorry i know under driven is better but what dose it mean

edit nevermind

High-performance street cars have one big disadvantage: They still have to act like street cars most of the time. That means running power-robbing accessories like power steering, air conditioning, an alternator, and even an air pump. But there is a solution to free up horsepower while still maintaining your street car's creature comforts: Install a set of underdrive pulleys. Underdrive pulleys, also known as performance pulleys, drive your car or truck's accessories at a slower rate than stock. That means that the engine doesn't work as hard spinning the performance pulleys and the accessories attached to them--less work driving accessories means more work driving your wheels. The bottom line is that underdrive pulleys can free up as much as 15 horsepower. That's a lot of ponies for a few hundred bucks or less. We stock a variety of underdrive pulleys from industry leaders like Unorthodox Racing pulleys. Many underdrive pulley configurations are available, allowing you to tweak the amount of underdrive built in to your pulley set, a great feature for those of you wanting to run a full-speed alternator but still get gains through the power steering and air conditioning pulleys. Whatever your needs, we can supply a performance pulley set suited to your configuration.

MessyHonda
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
im in....and why is our AC belt in the middle.....i would of been nice to taken the Ac and leave the ps. also thats not a bad price.....for a custom one it would cost 5-6 hundred bucks.

guaynabo89
06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Our pulleys are not dampened!

Its just a piece of cast cheap steel thats brittle as hell.

Hondas that do have dampers are usually a two pice with rubber in between the inner and outer parts to dampen the vibrations transfered by the accesory belts to the crankshaft.

also thats not a bad price.....for a custom one it would cost 5-6 hundred bucks.

I had my crank/alt/ps/water pulleys made for 180.00 ;)

MessyHonda
06-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Our pulleys are not dampened!
Its just a piece of cast cheap steel thats brittle as hell.
Hondas that do have dampers are usually a two pice with rubber in between the inner and outer parts to dampen the vibrations transfered by the accesory belts to the crankshaft.
I had my crank/alt/ps/water pulleys made for 180.00 ;)

why didnt you set up a group buy then....180 is a deal.

bobafett
06-27-2007, 07:16 PM
yeah definitely, if you could get your guy to do more sets that would be fantastic, and way way cheaper overall.

nswst8
06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
You know I'm in.:naughty:

MessyHonda
06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
You know I'm in.:naughty:

and we all love you....lol you know im down....

88Accord-DX
06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
and we all love you....lol you know im down....
It's not who you know, it's who you blow.

(just messing w/ya Jessy) :lol:

Vanilla Sky
06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Going to sponsor another, Phil?

labeledsk8r
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
just to ask wouldnt just a lighter-weight crank pully be alot better then stock? just in freein up the weight would help alot. i know tha trunning a underdrive on some peoples cars on here would cause chargeing isues for those volt hungry cars on here, just thought i would ask

AccordEpicenter
06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
meh, i know my crank pulley for sure has a harmonic balancer on it and im not gonna run without one, ive seen what happens to hondas that didnt have one.

2drSE-i
06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
personally id be cool with a set with just ps, but i dont think thats gonna happen lmao.

BITESIZE
06-28-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm in for the one you want bobafett....

For the record I want a UNDER DRIVEN SINGLE BELT CONVERSION. This means no AC, no PS - just an underdriven water pump and underdriven alternator.

2oodoor
06-28-2007, 04:28 AM
meh, i know my crank pulley for sure has a harmonic balancer on it and im not gonna run without one, ive seen what happens to hondas that didnt have one.
I need to go look at mine again now, this sounds like like a argument brewing.
I know they are heavy and balanced, no insulator though. Running without that or a lighter pulley could at the very least start a different wear pattern on the mains eventually, whether that is a problem I dont know.
If you get the appropriate underdrive match pulley for the Alt. you don't loose the charging ability that much.

very nice work once again guaynabo89, that looks bootimus

nswst8
06-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Going to sponsor another, Phil?
Not until I get under $500 out of pocket on the cam gears.

bobafett
06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Haha that would be cool if you wanted to sponsor this group buy too. I think if we get the prelude power guys involved again we might be able to pull it off.

Though honestly I doubt we would be able to pull off 30 buyers for a single belt conversion. We need to get a reasonably priced batch of those like guaynabo had made! Can you ask your guy what he would charge to make more of those in a single belt config?

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2007, 08:24 AM
The problem you're going to have going with a single belt is that about half of us want an OEM setup. If Guaynabo can hook us up and get what he has made for around what has already been quoted (we'll say $200 for sake of argument), then maybe we should consider going with that shop. If we could get that kind of pricing with an order of 10 pulleys instead of 30, we'd have a hell of a better chance to get the GB sold out.

bobafett
06-28-2007, 08:41 AM
100% agree... :) I know that an OEM belt setup is more likely to be successful, but I would rather modify the stock one than pay $200 for a gear that still needs more $ in mods to get slimmed down to single belt.

guaynabo89
06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
why didnt you set up a group buy then....180 is a deal.

this was back in 2000. plus after he did it he said the crank pully was so much work he should have charged me 180 for the crank alone! lol

I know my stock pulley was just metal, I dint see ant type of dampening. it was one piece and I dont think it was fluid filled i know people have had problems with poor quality pulleys chewing up bearings so I had mine balanced up to 10,000rpm.

taking weight off the rotating assembly really helps. i also have an alum flywheel and my car revs almost motorcycle like.:D

cygnus x-1
06-28-2007, 09:57 PM
I can absolutely confirm the following:

My '87 Prelude DX with carbed A18A1 had a solid steel crank pulley.
The '88 Accord carbed A20 engine I bought to rebuild also had a solid steel crank pulley.

Both of these have the smaller pulley nose on the crankshaft. Is it possible that the A20s with the larger pulley nose ('88-'89 A20A3) are the only ones with damped pulleys?

C|

Strugglebucket
06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
*sigh* i guess i'd be the only one who would want a stock diameter single belt pulley. i'll give up ac and ps, but not my alt voltage at idle.

oh, and i don't believe the stock pulley has any kind of fluid in it. but the fact that it's somewhat heavy means that by replacing it with a lighter piece you won't have as much damping. for example, you should hear how much louder the transmission is in nuetral when you switch to an aluminum flywheel.

guaynabo89
06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I get no noise from my tranny since I switched to an lum flywheel 9 years ago.

Altenators barely make any voltage at idle. they usually staet pulling good at around 2 grand

Strugglebucket
06-29-2007, 03:04 PM
really? it's only in nuetral with the clutch engaged that i hear it. and it's not like a loud noise, just a slight mechanical noise that wasn't there with the stock flywheel. my point is just that more mass provides more damping. i don't know if an aluminum pulley on engine that has a lot of miles on it and hasn't been balanced is such a good idea.

with my alternator i get well over 14v at idle. car stereo is the one anti-performance mod that always gets me in trouble:lol:

snoopyloopy
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
i think i might be interested in underdriven pulley that includes all accessories.

EricW
06-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Even though i already have a underdrive pulley with the A/c belt removed, I might be up for purchasing another one.

Toohardtohandle
06-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm in over my head, but if there is a pulley that can improve my performance without losing a/c, p/s and won't effect my alternator...I'm in:)

I may be a dumb-ass, but I know what I want (lol)

beerrrat
07-04-2007, 12:27 PM
i would just cut out the a/c lets keep the oem diameter, why would u want to lose ur power streeing?? and how u gonna run ur beat with an underdriven alt?

Strugglebucket
07-04-2007, 03:08 PM
if you're really into performance you won't be "runnin' beat". and taking the power steering belt off frees up some horsepower. plus, then you can remove the pump and the lines and lose more weight. it just depends how far you lean towards going all out for performance.

ghettogeddy
07-04-2007, 03:10 PM
im gonna be running 2 batts so under driven oem shouldn't be a prob for me

bobafett
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
what if you dont have room for ps or ac because there is a giant turbo and manifold in the way? :P

Vanilla Sky
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Then you need to rework your turbo manifold :p.

To be honest, with as many differing opinions on this as there are, I'm sure that we're all better off contacting a machine shop if we ever decided to have one made, since we all want something different.

MessyHonda
07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
yeah its not going to be easy...i like guaynabo89 one tho.

beerrrat
07-06-2007, 12:23 AM
unless ur doin a swap these cars arn't really much performance wise anyway wtf.... fun to drive but it ain't gonna run 10's haha

MessyHonda
07-06-2007, 12:41 AM
unless ur doin a swap these cars arn't really much performance wise anyway wtf.... fun to drive but it ain't gonna run 10's haha

the fastest a20 was running 9s.

beerrrat
07-06-2007, 01:02 AM
well i stand corrected. how muched he have uder the hood tho $12,000?

bobafett
07-06-2007, 06:52 AM
and jason budd has been in the 10s for years. :) with an a20 prelude. but yes im sure they each have more than 12k into their performance mods. :) gotta pay as they say...

but yes i agree, if we can find a machine shop willing to make these for under $200 that would be the best answer overall IMO.

2drSE-i
07-06-2007, 07:10 AM
jason budd is in the 9s with his EG shell a20. Johnny O was in the mid to low 10s in his accord hatch.

BITESIZE
07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
What the hell would you want to spend all that extra money on a crank pulley if you are going to run ac and ps? Pointless in my opinion. No ac and no ps = ftw!

LX-incredible
07-06-2007, 08:15 AM
AC is a necessity here and power steering is also nice. If I didn't have the money or the knowhow to repair them when they went out, I guess I would be in the same boat as you.

MessyHonda
07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
AC is a necessity here and power steering is also nice. If I didn't have the money or the knowhow to repair them when they went out, I guess I would be in the same boat as you.

your right....il have ps till it breaks down. as for my ac it was broken when i got my car so i could care less..just bring some cold cokes or waters when i go out...plus tint helps alot and wont heat up the interior alot.

2drSE-i
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
yea but you live in the bay area. its 110 here today lol. Im cool without AC though too...but my girlfriend drives when she wants to go out cuz she hates the heat. i Dont mind rollin with the windows down.

beerrrat
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
was 110 yesterday in the valley 112 in redding its just as hot here man