PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Clutch Question

1989se-i
09-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Im new to this whole clutch thing and im thinking of doing an auto-manual conversion.... Really the only things i dont know are:
wtf is a fly wheel? Does my auto have one? is it in the tranny? im very confused...
well i guess that was it, heh

smufguy
09-11-2002, 08:01 PM
auto trannies do not have a fly wheel, but they have something similar to it (i dont know the specific name of it) but does not go by the name flywheel

if ur gonna do an auto to a manual, u need the following parts

1) 5psd pedal assembly from the same car as yours

2) 5spd tranny (which u obviously have it by then)

3) clutch cable from the car u took the tranny out

4) engine bay harness for the reverse lights cause the manual tranny has a wire from it for the reverse lights

5) engine bay wire harness cause you need to have a sensor for the clutch pedal to make the car start up (manual cars startup only if the clutch is depressed)

6) 5spd shift linkage and shifter

7) guage cluster (unless u want the gear selector from ur auto to be there)

u might be able to bypass the reverse lights and the clutch sensor, but i dont know that for sure cause i have not done that cause i have a 5spd.

1989se-i
09-11-2002, 08:08 PM
This manual stuff is mind blowing. Im very confused. Ill read up on it tonite, and if i have any stupid questions, ill ask ya. :p

smufguy
09-11-2002, 08:40 PM
none of ur questions are stupid bro.

YK86
09-11-2002, 09:58 PM
You don't need the harness ( you just tap into the proper auto wires) and you don't need to wire the clutch sensor (autos start without it anyways). I just updated the how-to so I hope this will help answer your questions in more detail. If you have more q's, e-mail me any time!

1989se-i
09-12-2002, 04:22 AM
I almost got it. I just need some help with terminology, wo what are these things:

Clutch
Differential
Linkage
Pressure Plate

Thanks alot dudes

Immeraufdemhund
09-12-2002, 04:31 AM
if you get a clutch kit you'll know what 2/4 of those items are

shepherd79
09-12-2002, 04:33 AM
sensor to start the car? WTF?
my car can start with out pushing clutch, where is that sensor located?
i didn't see it on my trans when i took it off last year.
i bet it is on a newer ones.

YK86
09-12-2002, 09:39 AM
The sensor is actually the pedal stopper. If you look underneath the dash, you'll see it. These definations are out of one of my books:
Clutch-contains the friction disc and pressure plate. Couples or disengages the engine and the transmission.
Differential-The gear train that allows the drive wheels to turn at different speeds up when going around a corner. You will see these in front and rear drive trains in the 4WD.
Linkage-You are probably reffering to the shifter linkage right??? It's the bar that attaches to the tranny to select gears.

1989se-i
09-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Excellent, im almost an expert :p

smufguy
09-12-2002, 11:44 AM
my car never started without having the clutch started. if ur car starts without the clutch being depressed, i gotta say, thats weird. cause the manual cars dont startup without the clucth pedal being depressed. I dont know if it applys to all 3gs cause mine and my uncles (used to be, but the wrecked it) would not start until the clutch pedal is depressed.

Can the auto ecu be used for a manual? i know the ecu controls the fuel injection, but what controls when the auto tranny shifts gears? i ask this cause, i keep thinking that the auto tranny shifting points are controlled by the ecu.

anchovies
09-12-2002, 12:33 PM
My car can start without the clutch pedal in. heh!!

YK86
09-12-2002, 01:31 PM
There are no electrical connections on the tranny. When it shifts is all controlled internally on it's own.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-12-2002, 06:52 PM
my 88 dx alwways started without pressing the cluth, is it supposed to be like that?