PDA

View Full Version : 86 Accord (carb/automatic) Timing adjustment

BrianB
06-27-2007, 09:22 PM
My 86 accord died on me while driving. I wasn't getting spark at all until I changed my igniter. After changing the igniter i am now getting spark but the car will not stay running for more than a second. My piston position does not match up with my distributor rotor position. The timing belt on my 86 accord must have slipped. What I need to know is how to set my timing right.

From what I have been able to find on various sites I think I am supposed to set my camshaft pulley so that the word 'up' is pointing up and the 2 notches on the pulley are level with the engine block.

I am having alot of trouble getting the lower timing belt cover off. The reason for this is the crank shaft pulley bolt. I have seen tools online to hold the pulley while loosening the bolt for newer model accords but have not found one for an 86 accord. I have read of using a chain wrench to hold the pulley but I think this might damage the pulley. I'm stuck at getting this bolt off.

After getting this bolt off is it just a matter of lining up the marks on the crankshaft pulley and lining up the marks on the camshaft pulley while the first piston is TDC?

Thanks for any input you may have.

BrianB
06-28-2007, 03:37 AM
I just broke a wrench and an extension on this bolt. The chain wrench is doing a great job of holding the pulley in place. I've read that this bolt is supposed to turn out counter clockwise but i'm starting to doubt it. Someone please help!

2oodoor
06-28-2007, 03:45 AM
yes counter clockwise, or to the left.
I use a cordless impact on that bolt. There are several methods people have devised here.

88Accord-DX
06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
First time I broke loose that crank bolt years ago, I had to use 3/4" drive impact sockets & exentions past the fender well with a 3-1/2 foot cheater bar over a breaker bar. Talk about a nightmare back then.
See if you can get a impact driver hitting over 650 ft. lbs. of torque. (use an impact 6 point socket too) Good luck.

BrianB
06-30-2007, 01:45 PM
First time I broke loose that crank bolt years ago, I had to use 3/4" drive impact sockets & exentions past the fender well with a 3-1/2 foot cheater bar over a breaker bar. Talk about a nightmare back then.
See if you can get a impact driver hitting over 650 ft. lbs. of torque. (use an impact 6 point socket too) Good luck.

I used the larger socket and extension with a pipe over the breaker bar and it finally worked! I set my pulleys where I thought they should go and put everything together and now i can only get the car to idle. If I gas it it shuts down on me. I've messed with the distributor angle. That only gets my idle speed better but still if I gas it it shuts down. I think my timing is off but unfortunately i can't find a good accurate description of the marks on an 86 honda accord. The cam pulley does say up on it as described in the manual but the crank pulley has no lines on it like the manual says. I don't know if it's because the manual covers so many years that the description is off. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

LX-incredible
06-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Tec or hitachi? If you had to replace an internal igniter it is the hitachi. If the rod for the vacuum advance was rotated, timing will be off.