PDA

View Full Version : wire guage and length

smufguy
09-11-2002, 07:55 PM
I am planning on moving my battery to the rear, what guage do i need for the positive wiring? do i need a 4 guage or a 6 guage or even an 8 guage? i think read somewhere that u need a 8 guage.

Where can i get the wire from? and how much does it normally cost for a feet?

add one more feet for slack and convenience to the actual or guess length that u come up with. thanks guys. :flash:

A20A1
09-12-2002, 03:48 PM
2 or 4 guage wire
not sure on the length... use the same guage for positive and negative.

rbeaud
09-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
I am planning on moving my battery to the rear, what guage do i need for the positive wiring? do i need a 4 guage or a 6 guage or even an 8 guage? i think read somewhere that u need a 8 guage.

Where can i get the wire from? and how much does it normally cost for a feet?

add one more feet for slack and convenience to the actual or guess length that u come up with. thanks guys. :flash:

I've been researching this and plan to do the job in the next month or so. Like Mike said, use at least 4 gauge wire. It seems that 2 gauge is an oddball size; use 1/0 as its cheaper (from what I've seen). My only reference on length is OE BMW M3 + leads are 16 ft. Seems a bit long though.

You should only need one long piece for the + cable. Run the - cable to a convenient ground in the trunk (strut mount bolts?). Check Ebay for wire in Consumer Electronics/Car Audio & Electronics/Audio Components/Wires, Cables, etc. You can also find cable connectors, distribution blocks and fuses.

The following closed aution was for 4 gauge at $.99/ft + $5 shipping. I haven't checked locally to see how that total compares. You can also use welding cable, but again I haven't researched prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379701728&rd=1

Have you figured out how to secure the battery yet? I'm ruling out the battery boxes from Summit Racing, JEGS, etc. due to price. I wonder if the battery tray from the engine compartment can be bolted or welded to the trunk floor. I've got to remove some acid corrosion this weekend and will look to see if it might work.

Let me know how your install goes.

Cheers,

Roland

smufguy
09-13-2002, 10:17 PM
hey mike thanks.

roland, thanks a lot bro. u see, i am probably gonna bolt the battery down by drilling holes thru the trunk pan near the right of the car. (from behind the car). I am going with the box from walmart.

as far as the tie downs go, its gonna be all custom. keep u posted when i get a chance to do it.

rbeaud
09-16-2002, 02:07 AM
Didn't know Wally-world had a box. How much?

Cheers,

Roland

smufguy
09-16-2002, 12:04 PM
its like 5 bucks something like that. it was a while back when i was helping my friend to put a CAI in his corolla. But that lazy ass dude, decided he wont spend money on it. yeah fuck him, i am doing it now. hehehe,