PDA

View Full Version : car just..shuts off.

3geeandEF
07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
The motor has a lot of problems, it does have 226,xxx miles on it. Today when i took off the what im guessing is called the carburater tray? i took that off to the bare carb, and turned the engine on, and then turned it off to see smoke come out of the carb, thats problem 1. problem 2 is the car idles at 2700rpms, then gradually dies down, but when it gets down to about 1500-1800 it just shuts off? someone said it was an exhaust problem, whats your guess? This is my new daily driver so itd be nice to know whats up with it and what i need to do to get it fixed.

ahmad89
07-01-2007, 06:29 PM
The motor has a lot of problems, it does have 226,xxx miles on it. Today when i took off the what im guessing is called the carburater tray? i took that off to the bare carb, and turned the engine on, and then turned it off to see smoke come out of the carb, thats problem 1. problem 2 is the car idles at 2700rpms, then gradually dies down, but when it gets down to about 1500-1800 it just shuts off? someone said it was an exhaust problem, whats your guess? This is my new daily driver so itd be nice to know whats up with it and what i need to do to get it fixed.
well how much smoke and how thick comes from the carb? a lil smoke comes from mine when i take off the air box but its not a lot. Is the engine cold when it revs that high? Try adjusting your idle speed and change your fuel filters, if that doesnt work try the fuel pump. I had a similar issue when my car would shut off while im driving and the fuel pump was my problem.

3geeandEF
07-01-2007, 06:36 PM
the smoke was kinda thick, and as far as how much there was, i just blew like 3 or 4 times and it was all gone, ill look at the fuel filter tomorrow and check it and yes the car was cold when it revs that high.

ahmad89
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
the smoke was kinda thick, and as far as how much there was, i just blew like 3 or 4 times and it was all gone, ill look at the fuel filter tomorrow and check it and yes the car was cold when it revs that high.
the smoke is normal, the car likes to rev high when its cold, also check your float level when you check your filters. Have the car running and look at the float level through the lil window.

Toneloc5145
07-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I can't help you with the smoke out of the carb thing, as its only happened to me once, and I believe it was from the gas in the carb freezing (when I had the intake on it).

The idle problem sounds like it may be from holes in your vacuum hoses. It SHOULD idle around 2500-2800 when cold, so that is normal. When the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, the idle should drop down to maybe 1500, and then after running for a while, down to about 1,000 or so.

3geeandEF
07-02-2007, 07:52 AM
yeah it gradually goes down, but why does it just shut off on me?