PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Replacement Question

LXlimited
07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
hey guys! just have a question about replacing the fuel filters on carb accords. will the gas spill if i remove the fuel line from the filter? if so, would you guys recommend pinching the fuel line? please let me know if there are other ways to prevent spilling gas. thx!

88Accord-DX
07-01-2007, 09:17 PM
You can either pinch the line with a pair of vise grips or put a small bolt in the line to plug it. (tank side) I know some will come out the engine side, but can't remember if it keeps coming out.

Strugglebucket
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
it won't keep coming out. you can do it without pinching the lines if you're careful. just have a rag handy because a little bit of fuel will come out of the hose depending on how you move it.

if the car's been driven recently, let it sit for awhile (like an hour) before you do anything. that way the pressure in the line will be almost entirely gone. in my experience, loosening the gas cap does NOT relieve the pressure in the lines and fuel rail.

MessyHonda
07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
when i did it on my carb car the gas did not flow out....just what ever was in the filter. i did the front one first and then the one on the rear tire...i noticed a nice response after....good luck

Strugglebucket
07-02-2007, 03:03 AM
and then the one on the rear tire
oh man, i remember doing that one on my dx.

ever lie on your back in a puddle of gasoline for 10 minutes? it starts to BURN:burn:

DDRaptor
07-02-2007, 05:41 AM
it won't keep coming out. you can do it without pinching the lines if you're careful. just have a rag handy because a little bit of fuel will come out of the hose depending on how you move it.
if the car's been driven recently, let it sit for awhile (like an hour) before you do anything. that way the pressure in the line will be almost entirely gone. in my experience, loosening the gas cap does NOT relieve the pressure in the lines and fuel rail.

the gas cap seems to work for me but make sure you have a rachet handy cause the rear filter sits in a sort of holder back there that's kind of a bitch to get out.

remember he said carbed accord he does'nt have a fuel rail. :)

LXlimited
07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks for those who replied! you guys are the best! i heard the rear one is really hard to remove. i'll try to change it over the weekend.

MessyHonda
07-02-2007, 12:29 PM
thanks for those who replied! you guys are the best! i heard the rear one is really hard to remove. i'll try to change it over the weekend.

its not that hard. just remove the tire and you will be able to see it.