PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noises

dr_chocolate513
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Hello 3geez. I have a problem with my car. Everytime when I cut my car on its makes this loud sound like something is loose in the engine kinda like a engine knocking but not as loud. At first the sound would be there for a few minutes and then stop but now it will not at all. My car's belts will not stop making this really loud squeaky sqwealiny noise!! I have not touched them or made any adjustments to them. I also have been getting pretty terrible fuel economy. I have like a 1/4 of gas left and I have only driven the car 189 miles!! I have replaced the, spark plugs, wires, battery, front breaks, rotors, calipers, master cylinder, both o2 sensors, positive battery terminal, thermostat and gasket, radiator, hoses, speakers, radio!! I just dont want to get rid of the vehicle when I have put so much into it. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?? I just am tired of my car sounding like someone ran into a cat. All replys would be greatly appreciated. Peace

sb_hbackDX
07-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I’m guessing you have an EFI right? Well sounds like that noise at start up could be a problem such as excessive valve lash...which requires you to check your valves :) My car used to do that at start up initially but then after the oil begins to circulate throughout the motor the noise lessens. There’s a thread in the "how to section" on how to adjust those...The belts squealing should be an easy fix by simply increasing the tension on them via belt tension pulley. Also I see you replaced lots of parts but what about the injectors ? That could lead to poor gas mileage also some injector cleaner might be helpful…

dr_chocolate513
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey thanks for the reply. No I have not replaced the injectors. I was thinking about replacing those and the fuel filter. I have never replaced either one on any car and I dont wanna get ripped off by money hungry mechanic pimps!! LOL!! I just have put some money into this vehicle and I want to make it last. Alot of my friends talk down on my whip but I just think these vehicles have alot of character and they look really good just with a paint job and wheels.

sb_hbackDX
07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Well the fuel filter in EFI’s are actually pretty easy to locate and replace…there on the firewall to the left of the throttle body, it’s a small black canister. You just need a screwdriver and socket wrench and she’s off. The injectors are also not a large project, if you are engine savvy it’s a piece of cake and if in trouble consult the manual. But before you buy brand new injectors try some “injector cleaner”…it may do the trick and its a lot cheaper :)

Haha yea people give me crap for my hatch, they say "hey is that the car from Back to the Future" :lol: Whatever, they just want a 3gee :rockon:

knarg
07-03-2007, 05:46 PM
everytime i cut my car, the paint comes off?

please someone tell me whats wrong.

FyreDaug
07-03-2007, 09:12 PM
:rofl:

dr_chocolate513
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the help fellas and the jokes!! LOL!! I fixed the problem it was my timing belt and the serpentinebelt was going bad that was causing the squealing(serpintine belt)!! So I replaced all of the parts and the water pump also and my 3gee is riding quiet now.